Gail Ann Dorsey

Who da man?
joppo

Gail Ann Dorsey

Post by joppo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:14 pm

dorsey.jpg
dorsey.jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
Gail Ann Dorsey is a top session bassist and vocalist with an eclectic, impressive career spanning two decades. She has also received critical acclaim and notoriety as an international solo recording artist with her 1988 WEA debut album The Corporate World, and her 1992 Island Records recording Rude Blue. Gail has performed and recorded with an incredibly diverse collection of distinguished artists including Bryan Ferry, Dar Williams, Tears For Fears, The Indigo Girls, Jane Siberry, Khaled, Skin, and most notably, her near decade as touring bassist/vocalist for the legendary David Bowie.

Gail Ann Dorsey is probably best known for her contribution to the David Bowie band. She was recruited by David for his 1995 Outside Tour with Nine Inch Nails. Dorsey has affixed her deep pocket, melodic bass and distinguished vocals to the 1997 Earthling CD, the 2002 Heathen CD, and Reality. She recorded "Planet of Dreams", a duet with Bowie on the 1997 EMI UK benefit CD release, Long Live Tibet, as well as several other live recordings, world tours, videos, and countless major media events. Gail performed with Bowie at "The Concert For New York" at Madison Square Gardens.

Dorsey's musical journey began as a 70's teenager in West Philadelphia, playing guitar, bass, clarinet, drums, singing and eventually penning her own musical compositions. A self-taught musician, she undoubtedly possessed the necessary talents and ambition to propel herself to the top of the music world she longed to be part of growing up.

By 1986, Gail Ann Dorsey was a striking presence on the London music scene. She contributed her bass guitar and vocal trademarks to up-and-coming as well as mainstream artists of the day like Boy George, Ann Pigalle, The Thrashing Doves, The Kane Gang, Donny Osmond, Julia Fordham, and Concrete Blonde.

In December 1987, Gail signed with WEA Records in London, and in 1988 released her first solo album entitled, The Corporate World. The album was produced by world reknown bassist Nathan East of the multi-platinum selling jazz quartet Fourplay and includes appearances by Eric Clapton, Anne Dudley (Art Of Noise), Andy Gill (Gang Of Four), and drummer Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty).

Gail Ann moved to Island Records in 1991. In 1992, she released her second album entitled Rude Blue, which featured trumpeter Mark Pender and trombonist Richie "La Bamba" (Conan O'Brien Band), Carla Azar on drums (Wendy & Lisa), Carol Steele on percussion (Bette Midler), and the infamous James Brown horn section of Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley, and Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis.

When her relationship with Island also proved problematic, Dorsey removed herself from the spotlight and returned to session work. Throughout the remainder of the 1990's and into the 21st Century she performed and recorded with artists such as The Gang Of Four, Louise Goffin, world music stars Rachid Taha, Faudel, and Khaled ("1, 2, 3 Soleils"), Sophie B. Hawkins, Tears For Fears, The The, The Indigo Girls, Canadian artist Jane Siberry, Jeffrey Gaines, Italian blues man Zucchero, Dar Williams, Catie Curtis, Toshi Reagon, vocal diva Joan Osborne, The B-52's, and the late Michael Hutchence of INXS.

Over the years, Dorsey's compositions have ranged from rock, to funk, to country, and pop in it's purest sense. She describes her current sound as a present day version of the 60's and 70's AM/FM radio tunes that left a thumb print on her musical psyche; music like The Fifth Dimension, Olivia Newton-John, Bread and the Wilson sisters, Heart. She expresses a deep passion for the rich arrangements of Burt Bacharach and Thom Bell, and high enthusiasm for the quirky and innovative song styling of hit-makers like Jimmy Webb and Laura Nyro. There is also the undeniable connection with her hometown sound of Philadelphia soul. When asked to sum up the Gail Ann Dorsey sound in a word? "Black-arach!", she calls it, "That may be how I'm feeling most days, but sometimes you can't tell what vehicle is required to deliver the message until it tells you. I don't want to limit myself to anything. Whatever I do, I just want to maintain sincerity and substance in the work. That is my responsibility to the music, and the audience, and to art."

Cory
Bronze Member

Re: Gail Ann Dorsey

Post by Cory » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:19 pm

I have Bowie's Reality tour DVD. Bowie and Dorsey doing a duet in Pressure was awesome.

joppo

Post by joppo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm

I saw Bowie and Gail singing Under Pressure on you tube and like you said Cory, it was simply awesome. I've got to get that DVD!

Miss Piggy
Bronze Member

Post by Miss Piggy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm a bit late with replying to this thread, but she is a truly talented lady. I've got that vid of her singing Under Pressure with David Bowie on my Myspace site. I love her style of playing, and WOW she can sing! I wish I had talent like that! Although I would love to be able to do what she does, I think I would draw the line at shaving my head - somehow I don't think I would carry that off as well as she does - lol!
Ok, I'll do the stupid thing first, then all you shy people follow...

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:52 pm

I like her part on The The's Hank Williams cover
"I saw the Light"

Praise the Lord!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

she also uses MTD Grendel Bass! how cool is that!! :D
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:24 pm

joppo wrote:I saw Bowie and Gail singing Under Pressure on you tube and like you said Cory, it was simply awesome. I've got to get that DVD!
Do..if you have not already bought it. It's worth it and one of my favourite watches, along with Pink Floyd's Pulse and Chicago 2005 Live by request,
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info