professional bass player career in NZ

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
megamers

professional bass player career in NZ

Post by megamers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:05 am

Hello everyone, I'm a semi-professional bass player from italy, and i'm thinking about move to NZ to attend an advanced course to become a full pro bass player ..a maybe start working in the NZ music scene.

But, I'm reading everywhere that is almost impossibile to live as a professional musician (not classical) in NZ, is that true?

About course I found MAINZ and University of Auckland. What do you think about these two? are they good?

T-Dub
Gold Member

Re: professional bass player career in NZ

Post by T-Dub » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 am

I'd say it's almost impossible to be a professional bass player in NZ and derived fulltime income off of it. There is work out there if you're able to fall back on doing covers or can get a lot of contacts though.

MAINZ vs University of Auckland, depends on what you want out of it; a full music degree or a recording diploma. If you're wanting a music degree uni of auckland is your best bet.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 am

I have been a full time bass player (just playing) for the last 10 years, and have made a pretty good living. I do however consider myself extremely lucky, as I only know a handful of other musicians who are full time.

This year I've started teaching at a couple of tertiary institutions as something different to do, so I guess if you are prepared to teach and do covers amongst other gigs you could live the muso life!

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:43 pm

I was a fulltime bassist for seven years. It's OK, but there are pitfalls.
One, you have to take every crappy gig that comes along,
two, you'll probably need to teach to supplement the income whether you like teaching or not,
three, you have to resign yourself to driving crappy old cars, not being able to take a nice overseas holiday, etc.
I enjoy playing a lot more now that I have a 40 hour day gig, and my bank balance is healthier too.