Unusual techniques

The Bass Player's Toolbox
potatoes
Silver Member

Re: Unusual techniques

Post by potatoes » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm working on one that's basically double thumbing but with your fingers.

Say you're doing your finger thing, you pluck a string with your index finger, but instead of letting it rest on the next string down and bringing in the middle finger you send that index finger right back up again so you're playing the next note as a sort of reverse pluck with the back of your index fingernail hitting the string. Gets an interesting sound

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:23 pm

you can "speed pick" that way by placing your ring finger over your index (leaving enough index finger nail out there for attack)...stiffens the index and allows you to play fast and tight picking runs, without a pick.

i also find it useful when the drummer is playing a pounding bass drum pattern that's a wee bit too fast for normal alternating-finger fingerstyle to keep fully in the pocket for the duration.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:46 am

If I drop my pick during a fast number, I use my the tip of my index finger (nail mostly for attack) like it was a pick, suupporting it with the thumb in opposition. (who needs a nail file?) - be sure to wipe down between the pick-ups afterwards for all the nail filings.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:16 pm

unusual techniques = my whole approach to bass :lol:
thought i would post this in here as it may be of interest to potential "short scale" bass buyers,or those looking to better their techniques but are perhaps feel stifled by a full scale bass.

Before I start I should mention I do have smallish hands,
Well tonight I discovered after much jamming on the short scale Gretsch my thumb rests in like the "proper" position middle of the back of neck,this is not possible on my Jazz,no matter how hard I try it just feels unnatural,but with the Gretsch it just sits there naturally,and Im starting to realise how much quicker I can move around the neck on this dang thing :o
I can play scales and the like alot quicker on the Gretsh thats for sure and that gets me thinking :idea:

This short scale length thing ,of which I had no knowledge (I honestly thought all bass guitars were the same scale :oops: ) before I got this bass a few months ago is starting to get me real interested in getting a full on solid body short scale to try out.More GAS :lol:

Do any of you here play or have used a short scale bass ? thoughts ?

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:20 pm

i have a 70's Mustang Bass, fretless too (seems original...hard to tell though...fret dots are on the actual neck, not the 'board).
the first bass i ever bought ($350 from Cash Converters, Panmure), and was fun to learn on...but at the time i had no idea about intonation or anything, and it was a difficult beast to say the least.

next shorty was a reissue Ampeg Dan Armstrong...had a lot of fun with that (amazing harmonics), but it gave out this really subby thump with every note that was hard to contain, and the Lucite body dug into my forearm soooo bad it was horrible. i did get challenged by the manager of a previous band of mine to play it live naked...ahhh, nah! sold it to a good friend who (i think) is keen to sell it on.

the other shorty i have in the stable now is a 60's/70's Maestro 335-ish copy. gonna have to flick that off, i have long fingers and moving between std scale (well, standard-ish, as the Rickenbackers i play have a 33 and a bit inch scale) and this makes it a bit of a chore...plus the hollow body doesn't work well with the volume and dirty tone i favour - feedback city!

and as something different, i've got a Zeta Crossover...was REALLY odd to play at first since i'd learned upright on a standard ply DB (40" scale? can't remember), so had to re-learn positions.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:14 am

model.citizen wrote:i have a 70's Mustang Bass, fretless too (seems original...hard to tell though...fret dots are on the actual neck, not the 'board).
The Gretsch also has red dots on the neck,not fretboard,and these are really hard to see under lights and I need those markers on the fretboard.
model.citizen wrote:and the Lucite body dug into my forearm soooo bad it was horrible.

This is also why the Gretsch is not a main player-same dig in the forearm,ouch,leaves a nasty line in the skin after a set.
model.citizen wrote:plus the hollow body doesn't work well with the volume and dirty tone i favour - feedback city!
This too is a major an issue for me,feedback city with the hollow body.
Thanks for the info :D
Hence I am thinking a decent solid body Sort Scale.

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:24 pm

I play triplets/gallops with just first and second fingers, by using the nail of the first as I come up. I thought there would be a fair bit of nail click with this technique, but nope...nowt!

I've tried using 3 fingers, but for some reason I find this method far easier to keep at a consistent and even tempo.

Vince
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by Vince » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Cory wrote:I have heard of a guy using a guitar capo on his bass rather than tuning up. Has anyone else tried this?
I'm doing quite a bit of that, sometimes with the capo across some strings but not all.

However, I have a very chordal style of playing and I write my own songs anyway.

Here's an example

http://soundcloud.com/vince-cabrera-1/2011-01-30

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 pm

cool vince,like your style,not what i was expecting at all. :)

Vince
Bronze Member

Post by Vince » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Cheers! :D

But anyway, yeah. That's with a capo.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:54 pm

I like it too.
I think I understand why you are a chordal player. Since I have just resonantly bought an ABG, I realize it is kind of voiced between a guitar and a bass.

I would be quite keen to hear some more of your stuff in a band situation, Vince

Vince
Bronze Member

Post by Vince » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:32 pm

john wrote:I like it too.
I think I understand why you are a chordal player. Since I have just resonantly bought an ABG, I realize it is kind of voiced between a guitar and a bass.

I would be quite keen to hear some more of your stuff in a band situation, Vince
Ok... well, this was about 10 years ago, that's just me on bass doing the backing. Lyrics might be slightly NSFW.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

this is a gig at Lower Hutt library last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewVXs9g2ZoE

and this is me in 1984. It was the first song in the set and the mixer was still getting his act together, so there's some ups and downs in the volume (you have been warned ;) ) . There's no guitar on this either. I don't think I was using an overdrive either.

http://www.riobravo.co.nz/SCC/001-Livin ... e-City.mp3

This is the story that's recited in the library clip (Jorge Luis Borge's "Two Kings and Two Labyrinths") , I reckon it's pretty amazing so here's the text

http://the-labyrinth.blogspot.com/2004/ ... hs_26.html