'72 Mustang Bass rebuild

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
Kalel
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Head of Production and nubie bass player for the House of Breakthrough Tairawhiti

'72 Mustang Bass rebuild

Post by Kalel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:24 am

Kia ora koutou, seen a few questions on here regarding paint jobs and getting car paint shops to do them etc. I've just finished putting my Fender back together this week, I had stripped the body right back, dyed it black and then took it into the sprayers for the clear coat and racing stripes. Came out better than I ever freakin imagined!!
The process involved first applying a wood sealant so the paint didn't soak into the wood. Then they applied many MANY coats of clear (about 35ish) to get it to that real 'mirror' type finish. It took a week or so as there was a little sanding to do between coats and it had to dry naturally as baking wood obviously isn't going to go well ...haha.
As far as the sound goes, from what I can tell, it hasn't changed, still a treat, the original paint job was pretty thick and heavy, so feels and sounds about the same to me. Anyway here are some shots of it... any excuse to show it off lol.
Attachments
Before.jpg
Stripped.jpg
After-Frnt.jpg
Close.jpg
Close-bck.jpg
Last edited by Kalel on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: '72 Mustang Bass rebuild

Post by pins » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Very cool,I would imagine it looks even better in the flesh too,playable art,I like it.Under stage lights,wicked !
I'm still waiting for my Peavy T45 to come "home" from the painters after residing there for over 3 months,hope the end result looks just as cool as yours does.
I'm a sucker for pimped Bass guitars.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Cool to see you decided to restore it and it's no wonder you're showing it off. Looks wicked and probibly better in the flesh as Chris said. I'd say a lot of patience and work has paid off. Nice one.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:44 am

I always thought that the black stallions looked the most impressive :D
A-boom boom boom boom!