HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
Hungus Maximist

HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by Hungus Maximist » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:53 pm

In the eternal search for tone heaven, I just like to ask has anybody tried a Crowther Audio's Hot Cake on their bass?

I've only spent a limited time in a music shop with a hot cake plugged in and I was definitely impressed, but didn't spend enough time fiddling around to justify a purchase. As far as I know it is a guitar oriented pedal but it's got a bass switch inside the cavity (which I didn't have the chance to try).

Would anybody else like to comment on the tone and features, and perhaps other crowther audio's products?

I just like to add that I recently tried out a Ashdown overdrive pedal at Musicplanet and was pleasantly SURPRISED how good it sounded! However it does take a little while to tweak to the right tone settings.

irvinz
Gold Member

Re: HOT CAKE on BASS ?

Post by irvinz » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:54 pm

go back to musicplanet and get them to open it up to flick the switch to bass.

those lazy buggers!!

the ashdown pedals are on 30% off. they have awesome sounds. bad reviews from the states. but every where else they like em. i like them too. [but im a lil biased! and i get staff rates =)]

im just needing the right excuse to justify buying a hotcake, i already have a nice od or two on bass. its not an extreme difference when switched to the xlf mode. low settings, its pretty awesome. a nice subtle od. i dont like anything over the top. and the hotcake is just nice for me!.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:42 am

theres a an actual 'Bass Hotcake' too =)

Im guessing its better on the lower end...

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 am

not any more. its all in the standard. with a switch on the inside to switch it to the xlf mode. which is essentially the bass hotcake.

xlf= extra low frequencies....isnt a huge difference to the lower end of frequency wise, still a lil bass loss, but not too much loss, even on the guitar side of things

Hungus Maximist

Post by Hungus Maximist » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 pm

irvinz wrote:go back to musicplanet and get them to open it up to flick the switch to bass.

those lazy buggers!!

the ashdown pedals are on 30% off. they have awesome sounds. bad reviews from the states. but every where else they like em. i like them too. [but im a lil biased! and i get staff rates =)]
It's all good, it wasn't Music planet that I tried out the Hot Cake. :lol:

Yea, you're right Ashdown pedals are on special at the moment which is a big BONUS for me to buy one, however wished they designed it a little less conservative and more wacked out funky looking like the Electro-hamonix pedals.

Look what I need is just some general opinions on HOT CAKES and also overdrive pedals for bass. The a whole pile pedals but you never really know what you're gonna get until you take it home and try it, sort of like a box of chocolates (credit Forest Gump). So far I've tried the Sansamp, Boss, Ashdown, Hot Cake.

The question I am asking is a very broad one and most would agree that's it's all down to personal taste but far out but with so much pedals out there, what do you get?

If you guys had a look at http://www.customaudioboutique.co.nz/contact.htm? Be paying Ryan a visit on Wednesday to try out some of his pedals.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:51 pm

ewww. sansamp. i have another tonefactor cream pie on the way to me, i traded my previous one off and regretted it after going through a few. the g2d classic sounded pretty good live when i used one last weekend.
the ags circuit on my aguilar tonehammer sounds awesome too. which kinds of takes me out if i really want the cream pie!

im not sure what ryan has in terms of bass od's. after all that, i prefer the light overdrives for my live sound.

anyway, if your in town, after thursday (when i finish exams), flick me a pm, and we could meet up in music planet or something,and you could have a go at my musicelectronix gemini drive. thats a nice one too. its up for sale atm, but im still not convinced i should sell it =)

lil secret. the ashdown pedals would be on special for awhile =) actually. just pm me and i can sort you out with a very nice price!

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:53 pm

ok, i guess the sansamp od aint too bad. just the mid cut that i dont like really.

one of my mates just bought a vt, which has been getting rave reviews everywhere, i personally havent had the chance to really give it a go tho. from first impressions its nice!

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 pm

ive now started using my sansamp just as a DI and overdrive stomp box (drive at 3 o'clock!=) . its sweet as to me!

Are you looking for overdrive or distortion? (or both)

Crowther Prunes n Custard is cool for bass or you could go the Tim Comerford route (on the 1st Rage record) and use a Marshall Guv'nor (guitar) distortion pedal =P

Hungus Maximist

Post by Hungus Maximist » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Quickly paid Musicplanet a visit today and tried out the tried out the Seymour Duncan 'Lava box' pedal (as suggested by Bob, saying that if I were to go for a overdrive peal, I might as well get a distortion pedal which it can both overdrive and distortion) and it sounded really nice, also a big plus for ease of use (3 dials). To answer Definite's question, specifically I am after a overdrive pedal but I am open a book so if the pedal can do both just as well then I will for that!

I also had a wee play on the Ashdown and Hotcake again to make comparisons - this time with the bass setting switched in.

Now if I were to make a call on the 3 pedals, I don't think I would be able to decide as I really need to take them all home and try them out with the band. I guess this draws in the whole concept of a never ending journey of pedal collection, you can never have enough.

I will say though my expectations are set probably a bit high (I am sure you can all relate) and that I shouldn't expect the pedal I decide to buy to do-it-all. However I want to make sure when I do make that purchase, I buy it with confidence and an understanding that I've tried out a whole heap of stuff.

But like with all things... I will probably end with an array of pedals.. :lol:

The great thing is with Ryan, 'custom boutique audio', he allows you to take a pedal home for a 5 day trial (of course with 50% money down as insurance) and see if you like it or not.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:33 pm

yeah. ryan is an awesome guy. hmm, yeah. talk to bob, the awesome bassist that doesnt play much with pedals. sure he is highly respected, and i respect his opinions alot. bass wise, amp wise.

pedal wise..... i believe im king :lol:

Hungus Maximist

Post by Hungus Maximist » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:53 pm

All right, good stuff guys!

I paid Ryan (custom audio boutique) a visit on Wednesday and took home a 'MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive' to try out. I walked in to his Avondale shop and he had a real nice small and cozy setup going on. Ryan was real good as chum as well, let me try out a variety of pedals from the more guitar orientated 'Modtones' to the more bass friendly ''Frantones', and was all sweet with me firing away whole lot of pedal questions!

Ah, and of course there's the 'MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive' me and Ryan been discussing over the phone, even though being a guitar pedal he says it's one of the best sounding ones he's encountered for bass. I specifically ask him where exactly it's made and he replys 'Australia' and it's a established Aussie brand that's been going on since 2002.

I'll cut to the chase and let tell you about what exactly my experiences of the Blues pro has been so far. As for testing purposes in Ryan's shop, we ran it through an all tube guitar amp and a Rockit bass cab. What I can say (in my limited pedal experience) so far is that the sound the probably the most defined overdrive I've heard yet, a real good crunch but not over the top, yet still retaining heaps of the bottom end. In comparison to the other pedals he's got, the MI definitely has the best top end without sounding over the top and is easy applicable in modern rock songs (for example: hear Kings of Leon latests 2 albums).

Fortunately I had the pleasure of the use it on the day when my band got bit a of 'performance/critique night' with a couple of close friends. In comparison directly to my GK amp on board overdrive it has less bass (I was worried for a bit but I realised now that I need to give the pedal a few days to work out all the settings) but has alot more definition and tone settings.

I won't bore you with any more with my write you up however you can read it all up on MI Audio's website http://www.mieffects.com/BPindepth.htm.

This youtube write up gives a good description (bear in mind it's written with a guitar tone in mind)

The youtube clip is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpUZQ6wIdo
The MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive pedal is a low-medium gain overdrive pedal that takes you straight down to the crossroads. From light blues to classic rock, the MI Blues Pro gives you a clean, transparent booster when the gain is backed off or lights it up when you crank the gain. The Tone control gives you a tight crispy sound all the way down to a mellow, smooth overdrive without sounding tinny or muffled at the extremes. The added Fuzz switch lets you kick in Fuzz mode and brings the 60's out in your tone.

MI Audio brings you a sweet sounding medium gain overdrive pedal in the Blues Pro. The MI Blues Pro features more gain than the Blue Boy but stays sweet and defined even when cranked out. The Tone control goes to extremes without going to extremes...basically it is very usable at any position and doesn't give or take too much at any setting. Now, here comes the fun part, the MI Audio Blues Pro features a Fuzz mode. At the flick of a switch, the Blues Pro turns from overdrive to sweet 60's style fuzz. The MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive Pedal, this one will take you home.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:15 am

i've got an MI Tube Zone that i use for thick od/dist work, really flexible and no apparent bass loss. still prefer my sansamp vt bass tho, although that thing died 2 weeks after buying it so it's back in the shop...grrr...

that MI dude makes some sweet pedals, the bass version of the Tube Zone is supposed to be released soon if not already...
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Hungus Maximist

Post by Hungus Maximist » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:16 am

model.citizen wrote:i've got an MI Tube Zone that i use for thick od/dist work, really flexible and no apparent bass loss. still prefer my sansamp vt bass tho, although that thing died 2 weeks after buying it so it's back in the shop...grrr...

that MI dude makes some sweet pedals, the bass version of the Tube Zone is supposed to be released soon if not already...
Nice, is that the big chrome looking thing and where did buy it from bro?

Now the deal with tube pedals (hence the 'tube' in the name), that's it's got a 'vaccum tube' inside right?

Unfortunately I don't know much about how tube pedals work, but I know they're usually expensive and have quite an unique/exquisite sound... :)

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:33 am

it's the 2nd series, mid-sized silver job with 3 chrome knobs, a midrange switch on the back and two internal trimpots (presence and "splatter"/tightness). got it on tardme for $90 so an absolute steal...though a steal at RRP too i reckon.

doesn't have a tube in it (in reality, most pedals running a tube sound like poop, though there are a few that sound pretty good...at a price of course). instead, it's 4 clipping stages that add together as you increase the drive knob, simulating tube saturation (and pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good).

midrange control (new model has the midrange and the trimpots as external knobs now) is great, gives alot of flexibility to the sound.

lately i've been calming down on the use of od/distortion, my bandmates have started commenting on how much clearer things are when i'm playing (relatively) clean. of course adding bass distortion to 2 already distorted guitars is never really gonna cut through much.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 am

model.citizen wrote:it's the 2nd series, mid-sized silver job with 3 chrome knobs, a midrange switch on the back and two internal trimpots (presence and "splatter"/tightness). got it on tardme for $90 so an absolute steal...though a steal at RRP too i reckon.
If there is enough room in the housing you could get those trim pots put into normal pots easy enough. the splatter could be fun to mess around with