Use a compressor / limiter for playing slap?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass

Do you use a compressor or limiter for slap?

Compressor
36%
Limiter
No votes
None
64%

Total votes: 11

beagle
Site Admin

Use a compressor / limiter for playing slap?

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:06 pm

I kinda feel it's cheating a bit. But it can get a bit scary on the levels sometimes if I slap a string too hard.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:44 pm

I used to run a rig with compressor and all the gadets, but not so much any more. For big gigs obviously bass needs to be compressed (theatre gigs etc) in which case I'll bring in my own compressor. But in most live situations I just run clean. Like I've said before, I love the au-naturale sound :)

aldous_zodiac

Post by aldous_zodiac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:22 pm

As I use a SWR 4004 head, I dial in the 'aural enhancer' to a certain extent, but use the limiter (very slightly) as well. Can get a nice balance, without an external compressor...a small amount of bass chorus pedal helps to in terms of overall sound.

Also, if I keep the mids high, and lower the saddles on the bridge, I get an easy 'pop' (little effort IOW), and the percussive thumb action takes care of itself - with the appropriate economy of motion exercised. G string is lowered a little too much for finger style above the 14th fret on G, but I can live with that (for one bass setup anyway).

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:05 am

i dont play much slap but when i do i just use the contour button on my gk400rb. i have a lexicon mx200 that has a dbx comp but i dont use it, if i was a major league slap player i probably would.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: not available
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:12 pm

I've recently picked up a Boss LM-2 and for live playing it is good value for reining in popped notes and a few of my intemperate (read:poor technique/application) Wah sweeps. My Amp likes it too, takes the big range input fluctuations out of the picture mostly.

the unit also is quiet.... no hum ,whistle,assorted crap.. actually well pleased with it. apparently it is discontinued line but If you see one I would recommend or giving the new model a whirl.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:48 pm

awesome thanks foal! 8)

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:49 pm

ryla wrote:i dont play much slap but when i do i just use the contour button on my gk400rb.
Yeah I use the contour on my rb400 too :)

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:16 am

i dont use the 'low cut' or 'high boost' buttons at all, but the contour gives me access to a nice thick midrange that i use, oh, maybe three or four times a night, since i got my pedulla i have a nice problem (my pedulla has a midrange boost toggle switch which has a similar effect), that is, i dont know whether its best to throw the switch on the bass or press the button on the ampb - compressors - yes well worth a judicious dollop - especiuosly if slapping, i dont slap but i compress when i use my lexicon pitch shifter, (read 'octaver), it stop the deep lows from breaking up.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:45 pm

I always used to use slight compression when I had a solid state amp to give a slightly more "tubey" feel and so I wouldn't blow anything up.

As far as I am concerned, either in recording or live it is very likely that a compressor will be put on the bass anyway, so to think you are getting a "pure" sound by not using one is stupid.

foal30
Gold Member

Re: Use a compressor / limiter for playing slap?

Post by foal30 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:36 pm

The Boss Limiter is also good for swapping Basses mid-set. Unless I have completely lost it my Fretless J is louder than my '71 J and the Limiter appears to mean I don't have to bother with Amp Volume settings.

Harry Champion

Re:

Post by Harry Champion » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:10 am

ryla wrote:i dont play much slap but when i do i just use the contour button on my gk400rb. i have a lexicon mx200 that has a dbx comp but i dont use it, if i was a major league slap player i probably would.
I was reading in the June Bass Player mag that Marcus Miller likes his dbx 160 for subtle comp and Empirical Labs EL8-X Distressor for the more extreme stuff. He's a bit of a slapper (don't tell him I said that ;) ).

Is that the dbx model you have ryla?

-----------
Cinnamon Brown - spicy Soul-Funk
http://www.myspace.com/cinnamonbrown

'92 Lake Placid Blue Fender USA P, Ibanez Roadstar II RB850 HH, MarkBass CMD 102P

foal30
Gold Member

Re: Use a compressor / limiter for playing slap?

Post by foal30 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:05 pm

there is a Boss LM-2 Limiter on Trade Me.
I bought one of this dude...no worries and upfront, although I have seen some pretty vicious comments regarding the veracity of some of his sales pitches.
so that aside, I reckon you can't go wrong for under $75.