Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
timi
Gold Member

Re:

Post by timi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:48 pm

foal30 wrote:yet to hear back from D...
good or bad sign ,you reckon?

Now, SansAmpTech21 (?)

this week I heard a very fine Upright Bass Player (in fact all round Musical supremo) use one of these units.
His right hand articulation was phenomenal, could really hear the nuance in what finger(s) where, attack, "roundness" etc.Never topped out, just warm and tasteful.

I was surprised, I was thinking I would hear heaps of annoying tops,but again I think it can show just how much A Good Player uses Gear and a Great Player makes His/Her Sound.
Which Sansamp? Theres quite a few of them but I assume it was the Bass Driver DI.
Filthy discusting little boxes...... 8)

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: distortion/ overdrive pedals

Post by foal30 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:07 pm

Ha! I don't know what it is called sorry Timi

it was like rack as opposed to stomp box. Probably only one slot high...More of a pre-amp type set up.
Now that you have mentioned it I did not know Sans-Amp made stomp boxes, I thought it was all "rack" stuff or the new power amps I see an ad of in Bass Player.

Apologies for confusion

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Tech 21's Sansamp range has:

Bass Driver DI: The most popular one, its a stompbox and DI in one, meant to emulate an all tube amp being miked up. Has overdrive and you can blend in the uneffected signal too. They also make the Programmable Bass Driver DI, same thing but you can save 3 presets and the RBI, which is the same as the bass driver but rackmount and has a mid knob.

Para Driver DI: Not just for bass, similar to the bass driver but has parametric mids, they also make a rack version.

They also do the PSA-1 rackmount preamp, again not just for bass, and the GT2 pedal aimed more at guitarists but can be used on bass.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:20 pm

such a veritable fountain of information.
thanks.

Next weekend I am the shmuck who is playing Bass before the colossus appears. I will get the details of his equipment.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:13 pm

I liked the PSA-1 functionality. 100 programmable patches and accepts midi patch changes from a generic foot controller etc. I haven't tried any of the newer models although I hated the Sansamp foot pedals.. too fiddly.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:20 pm

I have a black Sovtek Big Muff. Great for noisy blast. I also use it with the sustain knob turned down so it is kind of just a gain booster for this thing I do with a metal ball....

James

Post by James » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:14 pm

DV6 wrote:Check out a Crowther Prunes and custard or his bass hotcake. Both killer.
+1 for the Hotcake. I get a nice overdriven sound with mine, better than any bass specific pedal I've ever used.

I bought a Prunes and Custard thinking I was gonna get some more bassy hotcake sounds out of it, but was disappointed. It can do some funky stuff, but not what I was looking for. Definitely a try before you buy pedal.

I also used an MXR Distortion+ for a little while. Was quite usable, keep the distorion at about 10 / 11 o'clock and its not bad. The hotcake creams all over it though.

portnawake

Post by portnawake » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:56 pm

I've got a Boss Metal Zone (MT-2), and while this is definitely not suitable for everyday's bass use, I really like the sound that can be obtained with it.
Its main thing is a parametric EQ on the mediums that lets you scoop them out according to the grain and sound color requested. (I like the medium cut at -15 DB around 800kHz while bass and trebles are boosted at 80%, and dist at 90%.)

I think I bought it second hand something like 10 years ago, and I'm still using it every now and then. The sound can be a little bit messy to cut through the mix, but still quite reasonable until the 15" enters the red zone. It's obviously possible to make it more audible, but then it doesn't sound that great I think.

The main usage is still when practicing, where having a layer of distortion on top of the bass simulates having a rythm guitar around (and in tune, and in time :wink: ) quite good for composition, kind of.

A distortion pedal depends also a lot on the bass used. It didn't sound that flash on my first bass, now it's got a great tone on the Stingray (like everything).

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 pm

portnawake wrote:Its main thing is a parametric EQ on the mediums that lets you scoop them out according to the grain and sound color requested. (I like the medium cut at -15 DB around 800kHz while bass and trebles are boosted at 80%, and dist at 90%.)
Sweet Jesus, thats a massive mid scoop. If you play a Musicman you would have no mids after that thing!
portnawake wrote:The sound can be a little bit messy to cut through the mix....
I wonder why 8)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:28 pm

On the topic of bass overdrive, heres a shameless plug for my Fulltone Bass Drive that I'm selling on trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =115852331

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:57 pm

No details sorry, Tom played a solo Piano set.
his take on the two Methany numbers he did was quite brilliant. I love going to gigs where you get to listen to someone who is totally on top of their game.

thelowspark

Post by thelowspark » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:01 pm

hey man, i would fully recommend the fulltone bassdrive.
bought one last year and it's always a staple at gigs. has an awesome clean boost for pumping you up when you need it - awesome for breaks or important lines. I also love the twin overdrive channels. you can crank on some tubey drive, then hit the second channel and really blast some big warm overdrive. Like BIG drive. Mess that shizz up man.
It's pretty fiddly to work out, i.e. really damn responsive, so will take a while to establish what sounds you want.... tip : turn the knobs only a wee bit at a time!
I love the comp-cut as well. No frills, balls out action. Just make sure you're rig can deal with it.
Meaty pedal, i've played Boss, digitech, DOD, prunes and custard and a bunch of others. But this is cool. and it's big and silvery and takes the knocks. Yay.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:13 am

Agree on the Fulltone Bass Drive.

A really good versatile pedal that doesn't cut the lows, but I sold mine because I prefer my Proco Rat.

JoséPedro

Post by JoséPedro » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Reviving an old thread to ask those who have (or have had) a Fulltone Bass-Drive, where they got it & (if you don't mind me asking) how much they got it for? Thanks.

First post here at BassPlayer by the way.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Check out gbase.com, lots of US dealers list stuff there. I think I got mine from Bass Gear Direct, about US$180 from memory.