Give me heat!

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Give me heat!

Post by sonicfantom » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Or something like that.

Suggest me some overdrive pedals to go check out? I'm looking for the warm, fuzzy, not-quite-breaking-up valve tone for bass. Otherwise I might just give up and buy a Blackstar HT-OVERDRIVE to play my Strat through... I've been GASing for that for a while.

I just want to know what the range is, I'm not well versed in effects pedals :lol:
A-boom boom boom boom!

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Re: Give me heat!

Post by model.citizen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 pm

sansamp bass DI, tech21 vt bass, fender bassman pedal are 3 to start with that aren't too "out there".

best thing is to sit down with a bunch in a store and try 'em all out...
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:57 pm

There is soooo much stuff out there!

That Blackstar would probably be good for bass, just watch "guitar" pedals as many cut your low end back, might not be a problem if you leave it on the whole time (just crank more lows on your amp) but if you plan on switching it on and off it could be a problem. Don't feel that you have to get a "bass pedal" though because honestly, most of them suck.

As soon as you say fuzz people will probably start recommending the Big Muff. Try one, but they are really more of an effect than a natural sound. A Hotcake could be cool (try and find a new one with the bass and bluesberry modes), or even a Rat with the mod that makes them bassier and fuzzier.

The Sansamps are popular because they are also amp/speaker sims so you can use them direct without sounding too fizzy, but they are pretty over the top to me (especially the BBDI).

I am selling a Catalinbread SFT if you are interested, it's an Ampeg style overdrive for guitar and bass. Clean but a little bit compressed at lower gain settings, gets pretty fuzzy at higher settings. EQ stage is before the gain stage so you can really play with the overdrive character, just like a real tube amp cranked! Nice natural sound, sounds way more like a cranked Ampeg rather than those Sansamp hype machines. Cool pedal but I prefer the edgier sound of my Hotcake.

model.citizen
Gold Member

Post by model.citizen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Timi, ever compared the SFT with the VT Bass?

i've often wondered if i should give one a go...but then again GAS is likely to set in...just had to pull myself away from the walls of Rickenbackers up @ music works in Takapuna, my lunchtime "peepshow" 8)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Not side by side, but I got my SFT shortly after I sold the VT.

The VT does that hyped modern Ampeg sound (ie not like an Ampeg), along with more classic Ampeg tones. Being a tube amp and speaker sim I found it too much going into a tube amp, probably works better into a more transparent cab and solid state amp. I'm very sure it would be better for running direct but I'm not into that vibe, the sound comes out the speakers :)

The SFT sounds way more open and natural, to me it sounds much better for classic tones but it won't do the modern Sansamp thing. You can change the character more than the VT because the eq is prior to the gain stage (ie more bass makes it farty/fuzzy, more treb give more zing) vs the one "character" knob on the VT which sounds like an upper mid boost/cut prior to the gain stage. I found the SFT to work better with tube amps, and it's also cool on guitar.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 am

I ignored Timi's advice :) and got a Boss OD-3
I'm not 100% sure its a 'real' overdrive
if you muck around with it I'm sure you can find workable sounds from it.

if the Caitlin Bread SFT is what Tdub had have a go at that for sure. i wanted to try one with my Precision, not all O'D's work so good on one pick up basses. (or need more highs to kick on)

http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=194
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

model.citizen
Gold Member

Post by model.citizen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Timi, how much are you selling the SFT for?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm

foal30 wrote:I ignored Timi's advice :) and got a Boss OD-3
When did I say not to get one of those? I only tried one for the first time two weeks ago (on guitar on someone else's rig), seemed cool, should try one on bass sometime.
model.citizen wrote:Timi, how much are you selling the SFT for?
$200 including shipping, hit me up if interested. :)

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 am

I had and then sold on an Boss ODB a while back - i didnt like that it just seemed like a harsh distortion pedal pretty much - couldnt get a more 'overdriven' sound no matter what settings were applied.

Id go for a Hotcake for better overdrive or distorted tone

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 pm

The Hotcake is a totally different pedal, thus hard to say it's "better" in my opinion.

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:42 pm

timi wrote:The Hotcake is a totally different pedal, thus hard to say it's "better" in my opinion.
Imo its better because you can get more sweep from light o'drive to distortion (more options) plus the tone is generally more authentic and allows more of the instruments tone through.
And its NZ made so its better lol!

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 pm

foal30 wrote: if the Caitlin Bread SFT is what Tdub had have a go at that for sure.\
Yeah mate, that's the one.

I've been on a bit of a bass dirt quest and here's what I've had;

Hotcake - nice, unique fuzz, good bass; I think a double hotcake would be just the thing

SFT - very nice, especially for what you're after. I'd avoid extreme settings and I'd keep the gain low. Tends to fart out with silly settings. I was after grind at the time but for warm fuzzy edge I don't think it can be beat

VT Bass - Ampeg Emulator. I wouldn't get it for the drive settings alone, it really shines when going straight to the desk when you don't have a co-operative sound guy

Aguilar Agro - Over the top searing GRIND, scooped mids, big hype. Pretty much all the stuff Timi hates but done far better than the VT or the usual "Ampeg" sound. It's like an overdrive and fuzz on at the same time. Great for doomy distortion. My fave pedal for my tastes

Musket Fuzz - Super flexible big muff clone. Could do what you're after and still give some giant fuzz tones.

Rat with Bass boost - Middy, grindy, quite nice, not enough bass though, I'd use it with a blend

T-Rex Mudhoney - Brilliant fuzz, one of my faves but cut too much bass

Barber 1/2 gainer (a super flexible ltd) - soft overdrive. Closer to the SFT style. Very different type of tone, a "nice" feel to the sound. Won't get grindy or too gainy but does the soft clipping vibe.

I'd recommend a SFT first, a Barber LTD second, and third, a hotcake for something different and quite flexible.
Maybe also check out a Way Huge Pork Loin for more soft clipping.

Hope there's something in that for you.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:37 am

I get my heat by using my guitar amp head as a bass amp. I just kick in the lead channel when I want some dirt and slaughter everyone in a 2 mile radius with gobs of overdriven tubey bassy goodness. The lows don't seem to drop out too much either which is good.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 am

Lemmy from Motorheads tone comes from using Marshall guitar tube heads apparently

model.citizen
Gold Member

Post by model.citizen » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 am

Marshall guitar cabinets too most likely given his less-than-low-end tone!

i get some of my heat from a wee bit of rattle and buzz i always leave when setting up an axe.