Anyone use a Noise Suppressor?

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
vandalinjandals
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/primalband
Bands / Groups: PrimalBand

Anyone use a Noise Suppressor?

Post by vandalinjandals » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:44 pm

My two humbuckers on my stingray hum like a beast through PA's which haven't been electrically isolated from the lighting rig. Would a noise suppressor pedal be my best bet for resolving the hum?
It is as clear as anything on properly setup PA's.

john
Gold Member

Re: Anyone use a Noise Suppressor?

Post by john » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:46 pm

That is an odd one, Are you plugged into the same power source as the PA?
How are you connected to the PA? DI I am guessing, have you tried the ground lift? is the DI built into your amp or an isolated unit

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 pm

woo-hoo! i love that evil hum of death. great when you're trying to play @ TVNZ and the soundies are bitching that "mate, you need to get your bass sorted"..."nah bro, you need to SHIELD YOUR FREAKIN POWER FEEDS!".

my Rics would buzz that place up a storm. you could bury the suckers IN the Earth and they'd still pick up interference. i ended up using a Boss Noise Gate for a while - that worked quite well really, however you do lose a little bit of attack as the gate opens up.

luckily since i haven't played anywhere that the hum has attacked...although i can always hide behind my guitarist's amp which buzzes so much even at zero it could compete with some of my dirt boxes :lol:
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

vandalinjandals
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/primalband
Bands / Groups: PrimalBand

Post by vandalinjandals » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:43 pm

john wrote:That is an odd one, Are you plugged into the same power source as the PA?
How are you connected to the PA? DI I am guessing, have you tried the ground lift? is the DI built into your amp or an isolated unit
Yep same power source as PA. My amp (GKRB700II) has a built in DI with a ground lift which takes off some of the buzz. It only buzzes when the lighting rig is on. I have currently been blaming it on the stage setup which supposedly has an isolated power supply from the lights, but since my voice is unheard I thought I might invest in a suppressor. What would you recommend?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I've used a noisegate with an octave and fuzz in a bypass looper for an over the top synthy sound. Good fun, sounds really tight due to the lack of noise when you aren't playing, but I wouldn't want to use one for a "normal tone".

You should try and get rid of the hum by sorting out the problem.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:30 pm

timi wrote: You should try and get rid of the hum by sorting out the problem.
Agreed. Try to isolate the problem
Does it still hum when you take your bass out of the amp, could be the built in DI. You could try using another di to check that it is not your bass