Question on power supply

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

Question on power supply

Post by Sunjae » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I need a power supply that will power up about 6-8 pedals. I have recently been researching and found the voodoo lab pedal power, i think it is good but if i get it from the usa, would i have to get an adapter because of it's output socket which is designed for american watts?

What do you guys use?
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Re: Question on power supply

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:56 am

Jaycar stock a good range of 9V switchmode and transformer based power supplies for about $20. With one of those and a daisy chain power lead, you be sweet as. Do a search in the forums for jaycar, and you'll find previous discussion on them and a link or two to the products.

Unless you are an absolute tone freak and have ridiculously high end gear, there's not a lot of benefit shelling out $300-400 on one of those fancy voodoo labs boxes. And yes, you need to be careful buying gear from the states as it may only be compatible with a mains voltage of 110V.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:55 am

i use a power supply from a Compaq laptop, delivers 10v 1A, plenty to run up to 10 pedals.

make sure whatever supply you get is regulated though, otherwise some effects (delay for example) will often hum/buzz like a demon.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:42 am

Old old thread, but thought I'd put a post on about a new power supply I'd just bought for my pedalboard. It's a good alternative to some of those wickedly pricey pedaltrain or fuel tank jr type power supplies.

It's called an Ares APS-10 and is currently being sold on www.guitareffects.co.nz
You can plug a bunch of 9v pedals, 1x 12v, and 1x 18v. It has a small form factor - which was a selling point to me - and is a cheeky $95. Again I think this is cheaper than other power supply bricks on the market.

Check out reviews online for yourself. So far as I can tell it is regulated power. So definitely an option to consider if you mainly use 9v pedals and don't want to shell out hundreds for other power supplies.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:35 am

Good find, looks like it should be very useful. The complete specs can be found here:
http://aresmusic.en.busytrade.com/selli ... -Amps.html

Says it's designed for 110V to 220V which means it's a modern switch mode supply. And yes, it should be fine for 240V as well. As for being regulated, if it's a switch mode, it will be regulated. Also, switchers usually run at frequencies well above audio (30kHz and up) so any switching noise that gets through won't be heard anyway.

Actually, just about any modern plugpack, especially the ones that run on wide voltage ranges (100-264 usually) will be switchers and should work just fine. It's the old heavy transformer types that are the problem ones. Noise at 50Hz requires big filter components to get rid of it, so a lot of those won't filter it all that well unless they were designed specifically for applications where clean power was needed...

brando2880

Post by brando2880 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am

I use a BBE Supacharger, 100 -240v got it on Amazon fairly cheap a couple years ago, you don't have to worry about adapters for the input voltage as it takes a standard kettle style din plug and has a switchable voltage. Never had a problem with it and it can do 18 and 12 v on a couple of the outputs selected via a dip switch.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I use. Mod-Tone Power Plant
Available in Auckland from IIRC Custom Audio Boutique.
Vey helpful man there (Ryan)
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

J-Funk

Post by J-Funk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:26 am

Old thread I know, but just gotta say my $45 Godlyke power supply is doing me just fine for running 5 pedals virtually noiselessly. Maybe one day if I end up with 12 pedals I'll need a $300 tank of some kind, but TBH I doubt it. The Godlyke is basically a bog standard 9v wall wart but it's beed specifically designed to run guitar effects with minimum noise, and that's what it does. Comes with a 10 ft cable too. Easy as and cheap as too.
Pedalshack: bringing the world's best boutique and handmade effects pedals to NZ musicians at the lowest prices possible.

http://www.facebook.com/pedalshack

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:26 pm

I use a Godlyke as well,used it to power 7 boss effects a while ago,now it powers my wireless,comp,dist and the zoom b3.
used to have a ton of hiss and noise issues until I scored this power supply well over 2 years ago.
has a small footprint as well in a multi box which is a must.unless it packs up I see no reason to replace it.

cjj your knowledge on electrical items interests me,do you have a background in this field or is it just a hobby ?

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Rickenbacker owners must be self-sufficient? :lol:

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:05 pm

pins wrote: cjj your knowledge on electrical items interests me,do you have a background in this field or is it just a hobby ?
I've been an electronics design engineer for about 35 years, and messing with electronics "stuff" for long before that...
foal30 wrote:Rickenbacker owners must be self-sufficient? :lol:
Well, I did own and run a large farm/ranch in Montana for over 20 years, off the "grid" for the first 8 to 10 of that. So yeah, I'm probably reasonably self sufficient.

Need your diesel engine overhauled?
:lol:

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Not today!
Pouring down here in Sth East Chch may need a canoe or kayak to get in or out!