buzzzzzzzzzzz

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
nagatim

buzzzzzzzzzzz

Post by nagatim » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 am

hi all, i recently purchased a vintage pbass from trade me. i am very happy with the over all condition but....... the D string buzzes from 15 fret down and there is little note definition. the A string buzzes mildly in the same area. the seller has been great and will do what is required.
does anyone know a good lutheran i wanaka? (central otago)
i want to keep this bass, do you think it is more trouble than it is worth?
look forward to some experienced advice

john
Gold Member

Re: buzzzzzzzzzzz

Post by john » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Look down the neck and see if there is any "bow", it should have a bit. It will probably be either a matter of just raising the bridge saddles on those strings or tightening the truss rod.

The a and d strings should be a bit higher then the e and g strings to allow for the radius of the neck

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:33 pm

do you mean from the 15th fret (F) up?

lack of note definition? can you explain this a bit further, I assume you mean the tone.

Good Lutheran? No , but many a good Catholic.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm

foal30 wrote:do you mean from the 15th fret (F) up?

lack of note definition? can you explain this a bit further, I assume you mean the tone.

Good Lutheran? No , but many a good Catholic.
Ha ha. I like your sig foal. Have you seen the Bed Intruder Song?

Sorry for the thread highjack nagatim

nagatim

Post by nagatim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:41 am

and i spell much better than i play bass........
so, buzz is from 15-19 frets ,there is a slow curve in the neck. action feels good.
truss rod access is at base of neck and seems unaccessable in place. and something i probably wouldnt mess with out of fear of damage. will try raising strings at bridge .........

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 am

15 - 19 sounds a lot more fixable than from 15 down, so that's a win.

it's possible it's not the neck ( curve/action/bow) but the frets due to an instrument of that age potentially showing signs of the players higher usage in certain areas.

my P Bass has limited wear at 15-19 , but beaten to a pulp in the first position.

Yes, to access the truss rod you de-string and remove the scratch plate. I always 'release' rather than 'tighten' when first having a jiggerypoke woth a truss rod.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:29 am

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 am

^^^^ Hahaha someone's got the time do that though ^^^^^
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Fairly common to get a "shoehorn" effect at the end of the neck in older fender basses. All to do with joining the body and the screws holding it down while the rest of the neck is freer to move. One fix is to simply file those frets down a bit if it is not too bad. A more costly (but nit uncommon) fix is to pull the offending frets and plane the end of the fretboard before replacing them.
Alternatively it sometimes works to shim the neck which allows you to have a straighter relief which can solve the problem relative to the end of the fretboard. Of course action/buzz is a combination of a whole lot of things - relief/bridge/nut/frets plus all of the above.

nagatim

Post by nagatim » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:26 am

thanks tim. i think it is too big a job for me and will send to alan farrow in chch.

lettsbasses

Post by lettsbasses » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 am

You should check things out yourself before takjing it to a luthier/guitar tech. All you should do is look at the side of the neck and strings. The string height should slowly increase up to the 12th fret and then level out so that the strings are the samne height at the 12th and last fret. If the strings decrease in height up from the 12th then you need to raise the saddles until they are even from the 12th up. If the strings get higher from the 12th up you need to loosen the truss rod and lower the saddles. Very simple. a 2 or 3mm height at the 12th is fine and just adjust the saddles so that each string is equal distance from the fretboard. The strings can be slightly lower towards the treble side (thinnest string). If it still buzzes then take it for a fret level. You should never take a guitar to be 'fixed' unless you know what is wrong in the first place. You are asking to be mugged. Much like cars and mechanics. Always try and find out what needs doing before you take it in.

nagatim

Post by nagatim » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 pm

thanks lettsbasses, im coming up to auckland this weekend so im dropping it in to mr glyn.
this time i will leave it to someone more experienced than myself. lets see how the robbery goes.......

nagatim

Post by nagatim » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:40 pm

you were spot on timi.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Pleased to be right occasionally anyway, nagatim. I have had similar issues over the years, nothing that a good tech can't fix. When you think about it a Fender bass is a fairly simple machine ( until you start talking about "mojo"), Leo deliberately designed it that way. Cheers, Tim