Humidity effects

Maintaining, setting up or adjusting your instrument.
vandalinjandals
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/primalband
Bands / Groups: PrimalBand

Humidity effects

Post by vandalinjandals » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:16 pm

I have finally decided to look into the humidity problem I seem to have where I store and practice with my musical gear.

I know that NZ (esp. auckland) has a naturally high humidity, and that my room is reasonably damp (cheap student flat). I currently have all my amps, recording gear, pedals and a few guitars on stands (I keep my expensive ones in their cases). The last straw was when I found mould starting to grow on my cab.

What would you guys recommend for controlling humidity? Would a dehumidifier set to maintain the humidity at a certain level (say ~35%) be the best option?

Also what would you recommend for controlling the humidity inside cases (for electric)? which is cheap.

Cheers, vj

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Re: Humidity effects

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:45 pm

A dehumidifier only needs to be set to about 50% or so, if I remember correctly. A lot of them don't go past 50% anyway. Just leaving the gear in the dehumidified room is fine.

If you don't have the dehumidifier then those little silica gel packets do fine in a pinch (or cat litter which contains silica gel). The second is easier and cheaper if you don't want to buy a rather expensive room dehumidifier (the "cheap" Red Stamp brand ones are about $120).

You'd be better off getting a brand-name unit (Mitsubishi, Delonghi, Evantair, etc), since you have expensive instruments to protect, and it sounds like you have the humidity problem bad. Stops the walls from going mouldy as well.
A-boom boom boom boom!

vandalinjandals
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/primalband
Bands / Groups: PrimalBand

Post by vandalinjandals » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:12 am

Ok thanks very much for the info I'll hook onto trademe for a cheap bargain on a good dehumidifier.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 am

my studio is somewhat on the damp side, i fire up the dehumidifier in there every now and then to get things balanced.

but, DON'T leave your good gear in their cases - dry rot will occur as the case and lining will absorb moisture. speaking from experience here. leave the good stuff on stands, and if possible, store the cases slightly open so that they can breathe.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:20 pm

model.citizen wrote: DON'T leave your good gear in their cases - dry rot will occur as the case and lining will absorb moisture. speaking from experience here. leave the good stuff on stands, and if possible, store the cases slightly open so that they can breathe.
Thanks for clearing that up for me :) I was unsure whether my Gretsch was better off in the case or in the elements on a stand ?
I will put it back on a stand,any way that way I can drool over them too. :lol:

I use those reusable tubs of moisture absorbent material,you can get them from mitre 10 and they work well,even keep one in my gun safe,they soon get full of collected water.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:59 pm

model.citizen wrote:DON'T leave your good gear in their cases - dry rot will occur as the case and lining will absorb moisture.
Is this just for a damp room? I hog the dehumidifier (four digit price tags tend to win arguments), so my room is always around 50% humidity.

I rushed over to pop the lid on my bass' case as soon as I read your post, but I forgot that I usually don't bother closing it :oops:
A-boom boom boom boom!

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:07 pm

yeah, mainly for damp rooms (or dark...wardrobes and such).
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 am

I'd second on the recommendation for Silica gel packets. I bought a bunch and chucked 3 or 4 in each of my bass cases.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Get a Steinberger.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Fodera recommends storing your bass in 40 - 60% relative humidity or leave it in the case.also between 50 - 80 degrees F. , or, get a Steinberger (has to be an L2).

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Rickenbacker says 35% at 70F (21C) is the ideal target, which equates to about 6.5% in the wood itself. Higher humidity is better than lower because it dries out the wood.

This is for maple, which is not a tropical wood. For tropical woods 45% is recommended...