Bridges and tuners

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
Harley
Gold Member

Re: Bridges and tuners

Post by Harley » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 am

smithmiller63 wrote:When I see an $80 price tag on a set of tuners I have to wonder if that's really worth it......So what I'm trying to figure out is how whether or not the cheap stuff is worth getting at all or if I should just save up and get some quality parts......I'm not spending $80 on tuners, though, light-weight or not.
With bridges and tuners, you generally get what you pay for. El cheapo mean the tuners go out of tune often so you have to wonder if you are prepared to put up with that during sets, let alone songs. They also bind and trying to get them to perfectly tune can be a problem.

I wouldn't even buy a Gotoh or BadAss bridge, I'd go 'Hipshot A' at least but that's because I have the philosophy of 'Buy once, cry once'

My advice therefore is save money for the best you can get otherwise you'll regret it in the long run.

If you are spending money on parts to upgrade something like an SX bass to perform like a Fender, my advice again would be to save up for the Fender in the first place.

Sorry this is not the news you'll be hoping for.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 am

Tl;Dr: Cheapo hardware is a false economy. Upgrading cheapo basses is also a false economy. Used gear for cheap, on the other hand... :D :D :D
smithmiller63 wrote:When I see an $80 price tag on a set of tuners I have to wonder if that's really worth it.
Depends on the tuners. There's great $80 tuners and ok $80 tuners. In terms of lightweight, the Gotoh Resolite series are quite good, as well as the aforementioned Hipshot (The stock tuners on the American Fenders are Hipshots AFAIK). Keep in mind that a high-mass bridge tends to fix mild cases of neck-dive.

In terms of bridges, my personal taste is the Fender HMV. The Badass bridges are a bit over-the-top-high-mass for me, and they look like big bricks (though the BAIII is a bit better). Haven't played on a Hipshot A long enough to give any meaningful opinion. We'll have to wait for ash to chip in about Gotoh bridges. Anyhow, all of them are better than the wimpy bent-steel thing that comes with most basses. YMMV, especially if you like thump.

Just remember that expensive doesn't always equal good (though it tends to be that way, doesn't it :? )
A-boom boom boom boom!

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 am

By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the "Custom Shop" section?
A-boom boom boom boom!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 pm

Harley wrote: My advice therefore is save money for the best you can get otherwise you'll regret it in the long run.
If you are spending money on parts to upgrade something like an SX bass to perform like a Fender, my advice again would be to save up for the Fender in the first place.
This +1

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:07 pm

sonicfantom wrote:By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the "Custom Shop" section?
Right you are

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:46 pm

you get what you pay for. love the tuners on my warwick, they'll hold tune for weeks. have been much less satisfied in the past with cheaper ones

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 pm

I've owned SX and Squire basses and currently have a Samick guitar, never had any need to change the tuners on any of these cheap instruments... What kind of bass is it and is it actually going out of tune. Weight I can understand, well not really, but I know a lot of people are picky about that.

Typically with bridges they get brighter and have more sustain the more mass they have. I put a Gotoh clone that guitarparts.co.nz does ($35?) on my Jazz only because the saddles don't slip around like they do on the bent plate Fender bridges. Can't comment any sonic difference because I installed it as soon as I got the bass.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 pm

I am sure most sonic differences will get lost in the mix anyway

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:10 am

john wrote:I am sure most sonic differences will get lost in the mix anyway
For gigs, that's possible but in recording it will be noticed.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:35 am

Pretty sure the extra sustain would be noticed (if anyone is actually listening to the bassist in the first place...)
A-boom boom boom boom!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Upgrades like this should be about function rather than tone. Don't swap a crappy bridge on a cheap bass to improve the sound, swap it to improve stability and to give you more accurate adjustment.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.