New Warmoth Build

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

New Warmoth Build

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:16 am

I've got some parts on the way from warmoth to start another custom build, I'm building a custom strat, so it's not particularly bass related, but if anyone's keen to know what I think of the warmoth parts, I'm happy to share.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Harley
Gold Member

Re: New Warmoth Build

Post by Harley » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:02 pm

ryanmaiden wrote:I've got some parts on the way from warmoth to start another custom build, I'm building a custom strat, so it's not particularly bass related, but if anyone's keen to know what I think of the warmoth parts, I'm happy to share.
I truly hope your Warmouth experience is better than my US Guitar PartS experience.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Warmoth is good stuff. They build the necks and bodies for PRS amongst others.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I got a Warmoth body and pickguaurd for a Precision build recently. Impressed with the quality, but a US Fender neck didn't fit despite Warmoth saying they use Fender neck pocket dimensions.....

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Aren't MIA MIJ and MIM all a bit different, dimension wise, I think I read that somewhere

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:16 am

I had a neck/body mismatch from them also. Nothing a couple of basic woodworking tools didn't fix. (stanley knife, FBH etc) :lol:

ryanmaiden
Silver Member

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:41 am

Hopefully I won't have any mis-match issues considering I'm getting both the body and neck from Warmoth. I bought the body from their 'in stock' parts so it's almost here, just waiting for it to clear customs in Auckland. But it's a loooooong wait for the neck. I'm getting a custom build so it's 12 weeks before i'll see that on my doorstep. At least I'll have the body and all the pickups etc to solder up while I wait.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member

Post by ryanmaiden » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 am

To my surprise, the neck showed up yesterday - 5 weeks earlier than expected, so I'm a happy camper. I am very impressed with the quality of the fret work and the CNC precision cut nut. Probably the nicest neck I've seen, much tidier than my Gibson. And the Satin Nitro finish feels great!!

So if you're in the market for a new bass neck, although pricey, I thoroughly recommend Warmoth. One thing that makes them pricey is the fact they only use UPS, who are rather expensive anyway, and then they also charge a $60 handling fee to collect the GST off you. And the GST is worked out from item cost+freight, so since UPS are expensive, it adds to the GST.