I want to design my own bass guitar!

For anything related to customising basses. Tuners, Bridges, Pickups
Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

I want to design my own bass guitar!

Post by Sunjae » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Does anyone know a place where you can customize a bass guitar or create a complete new one? I have been working on a few designs and im gettting pretty serious about doing this, I just need to know where to go!
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

joppo

Re: I want to design my own bass guitar!

Post by joppo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Sunjae. Welcome to the site.

Not sure where you live, but, assuming you are in Auckland, one of our members here (Ash) does custom builds. Check him out http://ashcustomworks.com/

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Yeah where are you?
Mal at Weta might do it if you are in Wellington.
An isn't there someone on here who got someone from Dunedin to built him one?

Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris

Post by Sunjae » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Im from whangarei
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 pm

john wrote:Yeah where are you?
Mal at Weta might do it if you are in Wellington.
An isn't there someone on here who got someone from Dunedin to built him one?
Do you mean me? It didn't get built, he lost his bottle.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 pm

Yeah it was you...
That's a shame for him and you

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi Sunjae. Email me your ideas, wants, needs, pictures and whatever else you can think of about your custom bass design. I do customisation and full custom builds from scratch. Can do pretty much anything if the budget is up to it.

Sunjae
Bronze Member

Post by Sunjae » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:27 am

How much do you think it would cost because i don't really want to do anything to flash just maybe design graphics to go on the bass etc.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:20 pm

If you want one by Ash, think 4 digit sums.

It's definitely worth the money, but if you just want custom graphics it's probably better to do a DIY.
A-boom boom boom boom!

Sunjae
Bronze Member

Post by Sunjae » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah i do just want custom graphics but i'm not really up to D.I.Y.

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Well, as long as you take ALL non-wood parts off (as well as the neck), you can treat the body like any other piece of high-quality wood.

Obviously, be careful with it, but my point is that if you have any mates who are fairly skilled with a sander and paint, you can delegate it to them.

You can also buy high-quality routed but unfinished bodies from Guitarparts, though I'd only recommend you do this if you know how to put your bass back together.

They also stock body blanks, finished bodies, as well as every other part you'll need in a custom bass job, even those fiddly little screws that you always seem to be short of.

If you have the time (and know someone with the skill), try taking a look at their Assembly Kits. All you need is a body and neck, the kit supplies hardware and tools. Though I doubt anyone can finish one of these in a weekend (disregarding luthiers :lol: ).
A-boom boom boom boom!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:00 pm

I am seriously thinking of selling some of my other "toys" to buy some machinery and have a go at making a Bass from scratch :lol: Everyone I have told does this :lol: :lol: :lol:

But when I get determined enough it will happen.A local Luther here said he will help me out,so now I have to decide what guns in my safe do I want to sell,that is the hardest part.!! :evil:

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm giving my Squier Tinkercaster (that's a Stratocaster that ya tinker with) a gradual $1500 makeover.

I'm upgrading everything that isn't wood - even the string trees! Eventually, i'll transplant everything to a brand-new unfinished Alder body with a Stratocaster replacement neck.

I don't see why there's anything stopping you from doing the same thing with a bass, minus the start-with-a-cheap-piece-of-crap part. The most expensive parts are the body and neck, you could buy a used MIM for the price of a bare body and replacement neck.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of doing it, though :D
A-boom boom boom boom!

johnny1

Post by johnny1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi, You could try Gordon Zettwitz in Auckland, he used to custom build, but I'm not sure if he still does, His son may have taken over the business, and I don't know if he would have the skills of his father. He built a Bass of my design and specification, it was 15 years ago though. Have a look under the basses section where I've posted a photo. johnny1