Group Bass Solo Experiment

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
beagle
Site Admin

Re: Group Bass Solo Experiment

Post by beagle » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 am

Yeah I can hear the My Sharona alright. Nice job Oxblood. 8)
What bass did you use for that? You prefer to play picked I gather? Any effects?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 am

Beagle, you're not going to believe this, but... no picks were harmed in the making of that clip. I'm finger-pluckin' good! :mrgreen:

The bass in question is my Mania VTB-4BS:
http://www.steamingaudio.myzen.co.uk/ge ... tb_4bs.htm
...fitted with a brand new set of Black Diamond "Black Bass" coated strings (see my review).

Both pickups were fully blended and their coils were switched in parallel. The bass has an ARTEC SE3PA pre-amp onboard. It was set flat, apart from a slight treble lift. I fed the signal through a MindPrint enVoice rackmount studio channel (also set flat - no FX/EQ/compression - nuffink, honest guv) and from thereon the line level signal went to the computer.

Finger-plucked directly above the bridge pup, with a little bit of fingernail providing the pick effect.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:12 pm

ha ha... you got me. that's a nice sound.. really rich.
I could the hear the new strings on it.
How did you do your recording?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:21 pm

Cool stuff, might give it a go too.
how do you load the drum beat on to audacity?

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I converted the drum track from mp3 to WAV and used the multitrack function of Cool Edit Pro (now called Adobe Audition) for the recording. I did a few takes until I was happy, and saved the mixdown as a WAV file. I then used MPEGSuite 2001 to convert it back to mp3 for uploading.

If you're working in Audacity, having downloaded the drum track mp3 to somewhere convenient (desktop?) you launch the program, go to file > open and then browse to wherever you left the mp3.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Ok I am having some trouble with this.
When I click on the beat link It plays with Quick time . Then I saved it to desktop ,Open that and it works fine.
Problem is when I open it from Audacity it plays at at leased half the speed ,pitch is lower too.
It is probably something simple ,I am a retard when it comes to computers

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:04 am

John, it sounds to me as if your copy of Audacity is playing the file back at the wrong sample rate. The drum track has a sample rate of 44100 Hz. This is what you need to do:

Open the file in Audacity. To the left of the waveform you will see a small control panel. At the top of the control panel is a tab with the name of the file on it and a downward pointing arrow. Click on this tab and a menu will appear.

Go down to the bottom of the menu, to "Set Rate". A sub-menu will appear, with a range of sample rates on it, one of which will have a tick next to it. My bet is that yours is set to 22050 Hz (in other words, it's set to play the track at half-speed). Click the one that says "44100 Hz". The track should now play normally.

Now, to set up Audacity so that your bassline is recorded correctly, do the following:

1) With Audacity open, go to the top of the screen and click "Edit", then go down the menu to "Preferences".
2) In the panel that appears, go to the "Quality" tab.
3) Ensure that the default sample rate is set to 44100 Hz and the Sample format is set to "32-bit float"

To make sure that your finished recording exports properly, do this:
1) Go to the "File formats" tab.
2) In the "MP3 export setup" section, set the bit-rate to 128. Choosing a lower bit-rate will result in poor quality audio. Choosing a higher one will be more hi-fi but will produce a bigger file. 128 is fine for most music.

HOW TO RECORD YOUR BASSLINE

Getting connected
You can plug your bass directly into the audio input on the computer, but it's not advisable: the results will not be very good, especially if it's a passive bass. The impedance of the computer's input is set up for line-level sources. The best way to do it is to plug your bass into your amplifier (or, say, a rackmount pre-amp) and use the DI / tuner output / pre-amp out / FX send output to feed the signal on from there to the computer.

NOTE: These days, most computers and laptops have separate microphone and line inputs, but some machines still use the one socket for both. These work on the basis that if you plug a mono jack in, it trips a switch that increases the sensitivity of the input so that it's suitable for microphone. Therefore, if your computer only has one audio input and you are feeding it a line-level signal, you must use a stereo mini-jack to plug into it. A useful thing to have is a lead that goes from mono 1/4 inch jack to stereo mini-jack.

"I'm plugged in but there's no sound/it won't record anything" :(
In the system tray in the corner of the screen, you should see a small symbol of a loudspeaker. Right-click this, and select "Open Volume Controls". A panel will appear called "Play Control" - it looks like a small mixing desk. At the botttom of each slider control is a tick-box called 'mute'. Go to the slider that corresponds to the signal input you are using (this should be "Line-In") and make sure that the mute box is un-ticked and that the slider is about halfway up. You should now be able to hear yourself live on speakers or headphones.

That's fine - now you can hear your bass - but in order to record it, you need to access another mixer panel for Recording Control. This is how you find it:

On the Play Control mixer, click "Options" and then "Properties". In the "Adjust volume for" panel, click the "Recording" button and hit "OK". A new mixer will appear. In this one, the tick-boxes are not Mute, but Select. Tick the one that corresponds to your recording input, and move the slider about halfway up. You should now be able to record your bass signal into Audacity and hear it as you play.

Well, you should, but...
There's one more thing you need to do. On the Audacity window you should see a horizontal slider control with a microphone symbol next to it. This is Audacity's own recording level control. Next to that should be a drop-down menu box, which you use to choose your recording source. Make sure that this matches the one you selected in the Recording Control mixer panel.

And finally...
While you're recording, don't close out the Recording mixer panel: you may have to go back and adjust it. If you want both the Recording and Playback control panels available at once, just right-click the system tray loudspeaker icon as before.

Phew! I'm knackered. Have fun! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Oxblood on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 am

Wow Ox ,Thanks for that very detailed lesson. Guess I can't chicken out now.
But can't do any tonight, it's 1:20 AM here and I should have been in bed long ago.
will get something up tomorrow
. Thanks heaps :P

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:24 pm

I managed to record something. Thanks Oxblood for the tutorial .
It was harder to think of something to play then I thought it would be. And the loop is pretty short .
We should find another drum track and do another one .
Anyway here she is :oops: :13 bars.mp3 - 0.62MB

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:10 pm

good stuff man 8)
What bass was it, age of strings, effects? what did you do to make that high string slide at the end!

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Nice one! A complete 12-bar blues progression. Love the 'twang' at the end. :mrgreen:

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Great job John :D Love all the slides

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks guys :oops:
beagle wrote: What bass was it, age of strings, effects?
My Aria fretless. La Bella tape wounds, sounds old always :D , No effect -bass into lap top, sounds pretty crappy. It sounds much nicer through the amp.
beagle wrote: what did you do to make that high string slide at the end!
Oxblood wrote: Love the 'twang' at the end. :mrgreen:
Twang was my EKO guitar . Put it in at the end for a joke

joppo

Post by joppo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 am

Right, in the spirit of sharing I've had a shot. Be gentle... it's my first time :oops:
my_turn_at_drums.mp3 - 0.53MB

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 am

joppo wrote:Right, in the spirit of sharing I've had a shot. Be gentle... it's my first time :oops:
my_turn_at_drums.mp3 - 0.53MB
Dude . That's a really cool line. and I love the tone of your bass. your Spector?