Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Record your practice

Post by foal30 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:27 pm

particularly meaning Band Practice

my technologically challenged Band members and I have a four track going at really it's a treasure trove of half formed ideas and grooves in these tapes. For a tool for adding melodic content or "soloistic" ideas it certainly should help us Bass Players.

beagle
Site Admin

Re: Record your practice

Post by beagle » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:29 am

Yeah it is a... you can just leave it going while playing and if something brill comes out you can go back and review it.... rather than forget it!
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 am

Yea its somthing ive done a few times.... but im generally pretty lazy, and just run a mix into a single track. Which is good enough to go over the practice and decide what sucks and what dosnt.... i have also just used a couple o room mikes when ive been jammin with random's. Ive found it really interesting going over random jams as well as practices just for ideas o different ways of doing things.... and seeing the effects o various substances on peoples playing abilities...(our lead guitarist should never be allowed near alcohol when playin!!! and its hard to argue you rock when yah got a recording suggesting otherwise 8) Im well aware i suck when under the influence!

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:01 am

yes playback can be a rock to dash hopes upon.
that lurching, jackbooted rhythm was in fact "the groove".

Arrangement arguments can be settled too! It goes like this!

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:15 am

exactly... and it's really great to be able to give any fill-in musician a copy of my bands last practice so they know exactly what and how they have to play all the songs.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed May 28, 2008 8:01 pm

I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those Olympus LS 10 linear PCM "better then CD quality handheld recording devices $400us, or an Edirol, they sound so simple.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu May 29, 2008 10:15 am

Friend of mine has an ipod with a stereo mic attachment.
He uses it regularly to record practices and gigs.
He stuck it down by the sounddesk on our sunday avo gig and it came out pretty good.
Thing about the Ipods is the capacity... 60gb hard drive must hold a massive recording.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 am

Ah the joys of having a Pro Tools rig that can record 18 channels at once, and enough mics to record a full band at once 8)

Too bad theres no band at the moment....

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu May 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I gather the Pro Tools rig is portable? 8) Nice!!!!!!
timi wrote:Too bad theres no band at the moment....
What? More info please!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 pm

timi wrote:Ah the joys of having a Pro Tools rig that can record 18 channels at once, and enough mics to record a full band at once 8)

Too bad theres no band at the moment....
suck about the band dude.
have you thought about recording bands for dosh in the m(l)ean time

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:19 pm

I haven't been in a band all year, been writing a bit and improving my skills in that area, but I now have a band that will start working on things once I've got this uni term out the way.

As far as recording other bands, theres several reasons.
Firstly, I don't have some flash looking studio, and people seem to rate that over what you can actually do.
I am not trying to say I am amazing at recording, but considering what I have heard come out of the "pro studios" in NZ lately, I could probably offer something similar for a lot cheaper.

Secondly, I only record bands I like (although sometimes do favours for friends bands I might not do if they weren't friends...).
Theres heaps of bands in NZ, but next to none that I would want to record. I don't mean to sound harsh by that, but recording is something that I love, and recording bands I don't like makes me hate recording. When you record a band you have to listen to their songs over and over, so it has to be something I like.

If a band I like wants me to record them however, I would probably do it.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 pm

timi wrote:
Firstly, I don't have some flash looking studio, and people seem to rate that over what you can actually do.
I am not trying to say I am amazing at recording, but considering what I have heard come out of the "pro studios" in NZ lately, I could probably offer something similar for a lot cheaper.
its the equipment and ear that counts . and a good room/s .
timi wrote:Secondly, I only record bands I like (although sometimes do favours for friends bands I might not do if they weren't friends...).
Theres heaps of bands in NZ, but next to none that I would want to record. I don't mean to sound harsh by that, but recording is something that I love, and recording bands I don't like makes me hate recording. When you record a band you have to listen to their songs over and over, so it has to be something I like.
yeah, even listening to your own songs over can ruin it for you too.
timi wrote:If a band I like wants me to record them however, I would probably do it.
and what about demos? for my space and what not . get a good over all sound and do the one or two take kind of thing?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:51 pm

john wrote:
timi wrote:
its the equipment and ear that counts . and a good room/s .
Of course (especially the room), but the final product is what really counts, and lots of these "pro studios" really aren't at the standard that I would expect from a pro studio.
john wrote:
timi wrote:If a band I like wants me to record them however, I would probably do it.
and what about demos? for my space and what not . get a good over all sound and do the one or two take kind of thing?
A lot of the recording I have done was for demo/myspace stuff, a few EP's though and an album a few years back. Even for just spending one day doing a live demo with vocal overdub, if I don't like the music I won't do it.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:25 am

Timi can you be more specific?
I am not having a dig, mind. I'm just interested in what you mean by Pro Studio for one.
and by the way I'm really surprised you use Pro Tools.

so no wind up, just I am interested.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Studios that have a permanent premises and market themselves as pro studios. I am not talking about actual pro studios like Roundhead or York St, but the ones at the next level down that often market themselves as "pro level", with pro studio rates and fairly high end gear, but results far from pro level.

The best studio in the world will only sound as good as the engineer and the band, but still, I have heard recordings that bands spent thousands on with an "experienced engineer" that really make me wonder why a 22 year old with about 5 years of experience and a semi-mobile Pro Tools rig can match.

I probably sound like a dick saying all this stuff, but I firmly believe it. On the other hand however, I don't really care because its not my bands spending lots of money on crap recordings. I always record my own bands, and if it ends up being a crap recording (like the last EP...), at least it was free, and at least I had some fun. There is no better band to record than your own.

Why are you surprised I use Pro Tools?
It doesn't really matter what program you use, only that you use one that you know well.