Still getting 'buzzing' through PA

Anything recording, Mic / DI or PA related ... gear, techniques, studios, demos
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Still getting 'buzzing' through PA

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm

I've just got a new (2nd hand) Ashdown ABM EVO 900 III amp and I am running it through my Warwick 4x10
I use an Ibanez TR Expressionist Active 4 string

At Gigs we DI direct from the amp to the desk - with my old Warwick amp I was having problems with constant buzzing through the PA when I did this.
I had the amp looked at and pots fixed - all ok, had bass checked twice - all ok, got new lead - but still had same problems

I borrowed the Ashdown head while my Warwick was being fixed and the guy I borrowed it off decided to sell it, so I jumped at the chance and have since sold my Warwick Profet 5.1

Problem is I am atill getting a buzzing sound through the PA when we DI - sometimes it is hardly noticible, sometimes (like last Saturday) it's very loud.
I did buy a cheap 2nd hand DI box off Trade me last year, but that does nothing.
We ended up mic'ing the cab using drummers old kick drum tripod stand and an old Audix vocal mic - sounded pretty mint out front

I want to get to the bottom of the problem though and don't want to spend good money on a decent DI box - if that's not going to do anything.
I've been tempted to buy a new bass, just because I feel it is 'time for a change', but I actually like the feel of my Ibanez - plus I need to save up some $$ because I want to buy an Ashdown cab to match the amp

I might see if I can hire a good DI box for the night, or hire / borrow another bass from somewhere - just so I can eliminate the problem once and for all

any ideas?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

joppo

Re: Still getting 'buzzing' through PA

Post by joppo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 am

It isn't a ground loop issue is it? I can't remember if this was discussed in your last post. Check on the DI to see if there is a a ground lift switch or button. It will have two settings (off or on). Whichever way it is now, try the other way and see if it goes away. Do you have the bass amp and PA plugged into different wall sockets? If you do, the amp and the PA use differnt 'grounds' (earths) and they can fight against eachother when they are connected through the DI. The ground lift is supposed to fix that.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:36 am

Those AMBs are a nice amp, I used to have a II.
I don't think they have a ground lift button because it has or uses something called a 'floating ground'.
The DI must only be connected directly into a Balanced Microphone input of the desk.

Also... (from the manual - he he he) make sure your XLR plug does not have the shell of the plug internally connected to signal ground or this will connect the system to chassis ground of the ABM and may cause problems with hum - so have you tried using a different cable?

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:09 am

ground lift?
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Re: Still getting 'buzzing' through PA "UPDATE"

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Well got to last nights gig (private) DI'd amp through desk and bass started buzzing out front as usual so I tried something - I plugged my bass direct into the PA and it was still buzzing, so problem is definitely with the bass / pick ups! Even tried Drummers DI box with the ground lift on and buzzing is still there.

So my options are to either replace the pick ups / preamp system... but I've got no idea how much that will cost
or
buy a new bass and be done with it

hmmmmm....
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Those are not your only options. It is probably as simple as a bad solder joint on the input jacks ground.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 am

john wrote:Those are not your only options. It is probably as simple as a bad solder joint on the input jacks ground.
well if it was a problem as simple as that then the 3 people who have looked at my bass over the last 1.5yrs would have picked it up?

I had the Rock shop do a new set up on it (intonation, new strings...etc..) in 2012 and they cleaned up the electronics / pots...etc... cost about $60
then last year singer took bass to a repair guy she knows and it cost me $60 to say he couldn't really find anything wrong with the electronics (he did recommend I use a quality alkaline battery)
then I took it to PK Electronics who said there was nothing woing with the wiring / electronics and said a basic DI box would fix any annoying buzz......

I've opened the back of the bass up and can't see any 'loose' looking wires - they all seemed to be connected to something, but I will admit I am hopeless with electronics and wires

I don't really want to keep taking my bass in to someone and pay $$$ only to get told there's nothing wrong with it!
plus my band are booked up just about every weekend until May so I can't be without my bass....

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Well, I had an annoying buzz problem many moons back. I tried all sorts of fixes, most of which the OP has mentioned and pthers have suggested.

With my bass having active humbuckers, I ruled out the pups being the culprit. That was until, in a desparate move I did a full copper shielding job on the bass ( even though it had shielding paste in the cavaities ) and star wired the earths. Problem fixed entirely. :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:21 pm

I had an annoying buzz about 20+ years ago..... so I divorced her..... :mrgreen:

David
Bronze Member

Post by David » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 am

Harley wrote:I did a full copper shielding job on the bass ( even though it had shielding paste in the cavaities ) and star wired the earths. Problem fixed entirely. :mrgreen:
+1 - I've done this on a few basses now and at $10 per 300m square sheet I think its one of best value improvements you can make to a bass

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 am

David wrote:
Harley wrote:I did a full copper shielding job on the bass ( even though it had shielding paste in the cavaities ) and star wired the earths. Problem fixed entirely. :mrgreen:
+1 - I've done this on a few basses now and at $10 per 300m square sheet I think its one of best value improvements you can make to a bass
Agree totally. I solder all the joins in the copper sheilding sheet and run a connecting wire through to the pup routs. Also do the star wiring for the earths. I also resolder all connections, even if they look ok. Being fanatically anal about it is just barely good enough!

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 am

BTW Mr Bass Man.... just because 3 people looked at your bass doesn't necessarily mean there's not a problem there. See my post above. Did they redo all the solder joints regardless of how they look? Did they replace the output socket with a Switchcraft regardless? If not, your money went down the drain! Just because a bass has humbuckers does not mean it's going to be dead quiet. I've worked on basses with humbuckers that were noisier than single coil basses.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:37 pm

martyforrer wrote:BTW Mr Bass Man.... just because 3 people looked at your bass doesn't necessarily mean there's not a problem there. See my post above. Did they redo all the solder joints regardless of how they look? Did they replace the output socket with a Switchcraft regardless? If not, your money went down the drain! Just because a bass has humbuckers does not mean it's going to be dead quiet. I've worked on basses with humbuckers that were noisier than single coil basses.
yeah - I'm just pi$$ed off I wasted about $150 and the problem is not fixed

someone on the talk bass forum said the bridge needs to be grounded too? I am unaware of this... I may have to take it to Mr Glynn - unless someone knows a good repairer on the shore?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:someone on the talk bass forum said the bridge needs to be grounded too?
That's imperative!
Mr Bass Man wrote: I may have to take it to Mr Glynn - unless someone knows a good repairer on the shore?
You can easily do full shielding yourself, unless you're an absolute klutz at soldering.

The project will take you half a day. You MUST get the Swithcraft oupt socket that Marty recommends. http://www.guitarbuildersonline.co.nz/n ... -jack.html, but you could try

The self adhesive copper sheet jack http://www.monteallums.com/shielding_supplies.html. Go to the bottom of the page in that link 12" x 12" Adhesive-Backed 1.25 mil Copper Foil.You may need two sheets total.

If you want, you can bring your bass around to my workshop and we can do this together, but I warn you! I have a full range of BFM Jack Lite cabs sitting there which you will not resist trying and once you hear them....that could be disaterous for your wallet.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info