Time wasters

Anything not specifically related to Bass
lance

Time wasters

Post by lance » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 pm

:twisted:
Im just wanting to know if other bassists are finding the same things as me?
I have an add on the rock shop website, bassist available.
Im so sick of assholes contacting me and sounding keen to meet up and have a jam then when you put them on the spot to commit to a jam time and date etc they never contact you back!
I mean hello!! If you want to form a good working band, covers or originals you must be serious about it or its just not going to f#cking work is it?
Is this just a canterbury problem or is it NZ wide?
Let me know your thoughts?

beagle
Site Admin

Re: Time wasters

Post by beagle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Nah that's not uncommon. I've contacted a few rockshop wanted adverts and people are very slack overall at getting back to you.
Of course they might be put off by my overbearing ego :lol:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm

On the few occasions I listed on there, I had the same thing.

Last time I got 3 "very serious" replies, one as a stand in bassist for a popular Auckland group, another actually booked me for an overseas artist who "due to personal problems beyond their control had to pull out at the last minute" and yet another who booked practice times, kept postponing, and changing until I told her to waste someone else's time.

I even had another guy say "You're just what we're looking for, you'll fit right in - come over to the Shore for a practice" Judging by the lingo he was 18 y/o at the most and so when I told him my age, well....not worth repeating here!

I thought being very specific about genre, age ( I'm in my 50's ), the fact I was looking for gig work etc would have weeded out the arseholes.....but it didn't.

However, on the bright side, we did advertise for a drummer for the originals group I was in, the drummer got hold of me after the audition and said he was putting together a new group, needed a bass-man and asked me to join. Our new group "Cool Banannas" has out first gig Dec 6th.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm

We're on the hunt for a new guitarist and I dread the whole 'class ad' buzz! I'll put the word out far and wide but hold little hope in finding Mr or Mrs Right (LOL) this way!

Better to start with personal contacts then work your way outwards...

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Musos are renowned for time wasting :D Well some are some are not. I have answered 3 adds from the rock shop site.
1st one sounded all good then they stopped contacting me. Was weird .
2nd Is a band I am currently in. All good
And the third I am in contact with now...see how it goes .
I think you just have to wade through the crap

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:38 pm

john wrote:Musos are renowned for time wasting :D Well some are some are not. I have answered 3 adds from the rock shop site.
1st one sounded all good then they stopped contacting me. Was weird .
2nd Is a band I am currently in. All good
And the third I am in contact with now...see how it goes .
I think you just have to wade through the crap
I had the same thing happen to me a fair bit, its just basic laziness and an amateur attitude. DOn't take it personally, just give as good as you get until you find someone who is genuine.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 pm

definite wrote:Better to start with personal contacts then work your way outwards...
That's been the only way I've had any real success finding the right sort of bands. Also that I've never been too much into the mainstream doesn't really help.
john wrote:I think you just have to wade through the crap
Well put :lol:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Crazykiwi wrote: I had the same thing happen to me a fair bit, its just basic laziness and an amateur attitude. DOn't take it personally, just give as good as you get until you find someone who is genuine.
Too right . Can't take it to personally if you never get to met them though eh! :D
Good thing about it is it gets lazy amateurs out of the picture before you go to the trouble of driving across town to find out they just want to get wasted and play play station and talk about " how cool the band is going to be" :mrgreen:

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: not available
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:31 am

"so your up for a try-out?"
"yeah mate, well keen"
"so 7PM is the go"
"7PM! er, that's when Shortland Streets on..."

this is all true!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:34 am

foal30 wrote:"so your up for a try-out?"
"yeah mate, well keen"
"so 7PM is the go"
"7PM! er, that's when Shortland Streets on..."

this is all true!
That's right. you dont mess with shorts. :D we practice at 8

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 am

Advertised on the RS site a few times and got inundated with replies. Used to meet up and jam with every single person that was interested but quickly found that being there in person makes it a bit awkward at that moment in time to say 'nah sorry, not for me'....especially when the band is really into it. I make a point now of asking people to send me some demo's before I take things that far, even if they're just rough as guts one microphone into a walkman recordings. My rationale is that I get an idea of the music and, if they can't even come up with a rough recording, get an idea of how serious they are.

Let's face it, we bass players are a rare commodity, especially in Auckland it seems. We can afford to be picky :lol:

nzbassplayer

Post by nzbassplayer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:43 pm

You can find great musos to work with the smallest parts of New Zealand. Even the back blocks of the Wairarapa!

Experience determines who you get the jam with I think, and if you have sibbles who play instruments too.

Its a relationship just like any other.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:04 pm

goatboy wrote:Let's face it, we bass players are a rare commodity, especially in Auckland it seems. We can afford to be picky :lol:
hmm... I'm not sure that's the case. I recently auditioned for a covers band and found out that they were auditioning 5x different bassists. I was quite surprised!

lance

Post by lance » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 pm

:roll:
Me again, it does sound like its a nz wide problem, I have a mate who is the drummer for 'citizen frank' a well known cover band in chch, he says that he is overwhealmed at the number of musicians he meets at thier gigs, so they're out there.
I have had about six replies in the last four weeks from the RS site all looking for a bassist, so far all bar one have been f**kwits or just weird, the one that i tried out for was a really great opportunity, once in a lifetime, they wanted me but i just couldn't give them the time they wanted, gigs every weekend, all over NZ, all flights and accomodation payed for, practice twice a week, real good money too!
It makes me sick to my stomack to say that I passed up this opportunity, but when you have a wife and mortgage and a full time job, its real tuff.
Man all I want to do is play some f**king cool music, with a good band and maybe earn some money, is it too much to ask????

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 pm

I think it can be pretty tough finding exactly the right fit... i.e. good band mates + right type of music + good musicians + lots of gigs