How little would you play for?

Anything not specifically related to Bass

What's the min cash price (after tax) you would play a typical bar 3 hour gig for?

$0
13%
FREE BEER
17%
$50
No votes
$100
39%
$150
9%
$200
13%
$300
No votes
$400
4%
$500
4%
more...
No votes

Total votes: 23

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Re: How little would you play for?

Post by BigBoris » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:20 am

binnface wrote:But what gets me is the vast majority dont pay a band, even the popular bands any more than some bloke playing records through a third rate PA.
That! Is very, very annoying :roll:

We had a similar discussion a while back and a much wiser man than me made this point:

I like to think about it in terms of angling. I have friends who are serious fishermen. They spend thousands on kit, get up at stupid hours of a weekend and are often away from thier families in shite weather for nothing more than the hope of landing a slightly larger fish than the one they caught last time. If it was all about the fish, they'd have given up a long time ago.

My 'hobby' means I spend the same kind of cash, the same (if not more) hours preparing and practicing and go through all the usual ball-aches associated with maintaining a cohesive unit of individuals. The Pay off? Getting to go to new places that I otherwise would have missed, occasionally making enough to pay the fuel and possibly a bag of chips. Experiencing a room full of people dancing around who've left any troubles outside for the 2 hours or so because we are on stage, hanging out with some brilliant people..oh...and BEING IN A FRIKKIN BAND!! WOO HOOO!! doesn't matter if you are Kieth Richards at Wembley or Billy noname at the Dog and Scrotum on a Tuesday, you're still living the dream my friend.

If you rely on music for your income, take solace in the fact that many people would give thier right bollock just to be able to play, let alone make any money. The reality for most is a meagre living, but you are doing something you love.

If you have a full time job (like me) try not to loose sight of the fact that as hobbies go...it's a pretty good, if not the best one in my opinion. The odd empty venue is a downer, but being able to get a gig at all was a dream in itself when I started learning to play in my bedroom with my mate Rob and a copy Exile on Main Street.

It's not really about the fish.

(Dr Montoya)

I've quoted him because I could never say it better myself :D

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:40 pm

My son spent a whole day with his friend fishing this week and didn't catch a thing. He seemed more than happy.

We have just been offered a new years eve gig for £500 between 4 of us - I m probably staying in to wash my hair that night though!

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:23 pm

binnface wrote:But what gets me is the vast majority dont pay a band, even the popular bands any more than some bloke playing records through a third rate PA.
Yeah we have plenty of that in NZ too. :?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Texas Bass Player
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/shapedsound

Post by Texas Bass Player » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:08 am

We have a minimum of $100 each member, after expenses or we won't take the gig. And of course, that's "in town", any travelling involved and that figure goes up.
Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger!
http://www.myspace.com/shapedsound

Texas Bass Player

Post by Texas Bass Player » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:11 am

Beyond wrote: We have just been offered a new years eve gig for £500 between 4 of us - I m probably staying in to wash my hair that night though!

We have a New Years Eve gig we play every year, for a law firm. We get $500 a band member and then on top of that, at the end of the evening the senior law partner gives us each a $100 bill!

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:08 am

Texas Bass Player wrote:We have a New Years Eve gig we play every year, for a law firm. We get $500 a band member and then on top of that, at the end of the evening the senior law partner gives us each a $100 bill!
Language is a wonderful thing....in the UK a 'bill' is an invoice
:D

But there again a 'fag' is a cigarette and a 'rubber' is an eraser.....

I wonder how many people have been beaten to a pulp over such misunderstandings...?

I heard on the radio the other day that a raised hand in salutation or thanks is a deadly insult in some countries...so if someone lets you out into the traffic and you raise your hand in thanks, you could well be rear ended.... :o

Texas Bass Player

Post by Texas Bass Player » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:09 am

BigBoris wrote:
Texas Bass Player wrote:We have a New Years Eve gig we play every year, for a law firm. We get $500 a band member and then on top of that, at the end of the evening the senior law partner gives us each a $100 bill!
Language is a wonderful thing....in the UK a 'bill' is an invoice
:D

But there again a 'fag' is a cigarette and a 'rubber' is an eraser.....

I wonder how many people have been beaten to a pulp over such misunderstandings...?

I heard on the radio the other day that a raised hand in salutation or thanks is a deadly insult in some countries...so if someone lets you out into the traffic and you raise your hand in thanks, you could well be rear ended.... :o
I guess I shoulda said a "Franklin".

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:07 pm

Texas Bass Player wrote:
Beyond wrote: We have just been offered a new years eve gig for £500 between 4 of us - I m probably staying in to wash my hair that night though!

We have a New Years Eve gig we play every year, for a law firm. We get $500 a band member and then on top of that, at the end of the evening the senior law partner gives us each a $100 bill!
Bloody lawyers aye - too much money to burn! =P
Crazy how to access 'the law of the land' we have to pay exorbitant fees isnt it?

Rasta_nz
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Katchafire

Post by Rasta_nz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Kia ora all,

Interesting subject this is. I think the majority of bands have all been there and done the "FREE BEER" and $50 thing.

Back in 1997 our first ever Katchafire gig (when we started as an unknown 5 piece Bob Marley covers band) was a dozen tall bottles of piss (thats slang for beer not urine to those who don't know kiwiana) and $30 each, owner said to us he was risking his businesses regular nightly intake on a unknown band and that was all he was willing to offer, take it or leave it.

The 90's were cut throat years to some cover bands (especially reggae bands, no bar would hire one) as to the 80's where it was just cool to be in a band jammin' out to your favorite cover tunes. I think back then the majority attended clubs/pubs more to dance along to the bands music, nowadays going to a gig is more a mass sing-along event with more interaction between band and the audience.

These days a lot of cover bands have taken the "original material" path by integrating tunes they've written as a group into their sets, its a nice way to introduce their music to the masses. I like listening to originals at gigs, it displays the bands creativeness and its the bands own written material that really gets my ears listening. Its cool, classy.

As a band/group, we command more these days as in payment for we are confident we can pack the house much to the venue owners delight, more people+more drinks sold+more cash intake for owner=happy owner, for example, our show at the Safari Lounge on Friday, 650 pre-sold tickets at $30 each and 250 doors sales at $35 to capacity which is a awesome night for any band (local or non local), the owner made a killing on the bar and probably made back triple more than the fee he payed us. I reckon if the band (original or cover) can pull a decent crowd and the club owner knows it, then go for gold and hit them up for maximum fee, if you're the clubs regular band and have a strong following and crowd pull then the cards are some what in your favor, maybe negotiate for more.

We also get approached to do fundraiser events and depending on the cause we will play for very minimum if not, nothing, but what we will ask for is the cover of transport costs, food (dinner and breakfast if away overnight) and depending on the where abouts or distance from home, accommodation.

So i guess as a band/group decision nowadays depending on the event, we would rather not play for bare minimum, knowing how much the venue would rake in from one of our shows makes the decision much easier, this livelihood is our main income and its welcomed that we're earning a living from what we love to do. I know alot of local Kiwi bands/artists are still playing for minimum or nothing just to get exposure, we did in our earlier years as i'm sure all the big money making bands today have in the past.
Yep... them are the big money spenders, corporate gigs are when the suites come off and the wallets open up (must be all that wine they drink at them things aye :wink: ). Take advantage of the big money earning corp gigs, they can afford it.

Ok... thats enough ranting from me.

Peace

Tere

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:34 am

Nice post Tere 8)

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:53 pm

This is the business end of the year for my band, cheesy christmas work functions are our specialty so we've been pretty busy over the past few weeks. It's always amusing watching people go from awkward conversation at the start of the night, when they realise the only thing they have in common with their workmates is work, to full-blown chaos after they have drunk the entire place dry, inhibitions have been thrown out the window along with the empties, the "quiet" guy is half nude on the bar dancing to our particularly cheesy version of "Hot Hot Hot" and the young ones are either ripping each others throats out or sticking their tongues down them. Christmas parties, you gotta love 'em!
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

James

Post by James » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 am

Don't think I've walked away from a gig with cash in hand yet. I remember playing the crown in Dunedin and you'd pay the bar $70 for using the PA and sound man, but you'd get the door take. We did a night with 7 bands, $5 on the door, and the place was packed, but turned out pretty much everyone there was a mate of the bands and had their name at the door, so at the end of the night there was $50 in the till. We ended up paying $20 to play that night.

Doing originals and starting up, playing Galatos/Kings Arms etc round Auckland (Empire / Crown back in Dunedin) you can't really expect to see much $$ in the hand unless you've got enough of a crowd to bring along.

Doing covers now I'd expect to see some $$ for it, not that I have yet, there always seems to be some excuse - playing a party for friends / charity whatever. Personally I make good money on my day job and play music for fun not money, so for me its more about setting the expectation, I'm not giving my Saturday nights away for free.

The band I play in is more of a Jam band, we never learn anything properly and have 2 guitarists so most songs have 2 lead breaks, but we do get people up and dancing and having a good time. I thinks theres a difference between a band doing that sorta thing and the professional bands who play The Cock and Bull every weekend and nail that Exponents song note for note every time. The former should be charging in the $500-$1k range and the later can probably command from $1.5k upwards.

Play covers for less than $100 per person and you're a sucker. Playing originals, well if you're playing at 2am to 3 people and the bar staff then be realistic you ain't getting paid, but if you're filling the place up then you should be getting a good piece of that action.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 pm

To bring up another point, how little would you guys play for on New Years Eve? Normally you can pull a really good buck, and I don't think I'd do a NYE gig for less than $1000. In saying that, if the gig itself was really really cool I would go less, but hell....if you can milk it, why not?

Where are you guys playing this NYE? Sky City for me this year (which is a change from the random summer festivals!)

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:22 pm

NYE is something quite out of the norm huh. I'd like at least twice what I'd normally be happy with. At the end of the day you're working instead of spending that time with family friends.
At this rate I've got nothing on NYE.. Had one lined up and it got canned a couple of weeks ago. Still something could quite possibly come along.
Bit bummed at the mo cause I had another good one canned for the 18th. That was for $1000 which would have been my biggest pay day to date. Blaming it on the financial crises! ;-)

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:29 pm

played a NYE gig for alot less than $1000 but it was a nudist club sooooooo..... :shock: