The perils of playing on borrowed gear

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

The perils of playing on borrowed gear

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm

In the weekend my band were lucky enough to play a wedding in Central Otago.

We flew down from Auckland, had 4wd rental car, accommodation and a sound guy providing all the gear– amps, PA, Drums, lights…etc… (paid for by the bride and groom!) All we had to bring was my bass, elect guitar (and effects pedals) and drummer has to bring kick pedal, snare, cymbals and sticks.

Anyway we meet the sound guy at the venue and he explains how the PA (1 sub, 2 top bins, 3 monitors) and lighting rig works… I look at the bass amp – Carvin Red line combo (600w 1x15 & 2x10’s?) and was impressed… that was until I turned it on. Every note I played sounded like a wet fart…. Spent 30 mins playing with all the dials & EQ but couldn’t make sound any better. The compressor lights came on every note I played and even when we turned the compressor dials to’0’ the lights still came on – tried different leads, even guitarist plugged into it and it sounded s**t…

Sound guy wasn’t a bassist but just said ‘you can get some good tones from that amp’ – I thought yeah right!

Anyway I gave the lead to drummer and said to plug bass straight into the PA just to eliminate my bass as the problem, and guess what…. Bass sounded mint through the PA!

I was standing next one of the top bins and could hear the bass clear as anything… so the amp became a stand for 1 light and my beverage holder LOL!

Guitarist thought his amp was ok (fender bronco?) but at the end of the night said it was really good and drummer had a Gretch 5 piece that sounded good
Was an awesome gig and we didn’t have to spend a hour packing down a big PA, drums and amps afterwards!

Anyone else had good / bad experiences with borrowed gear?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: The perils of playing on borrowed gear

Post by pins » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm

So I guess Carvin is not on your GAS list :wink:

Yes I have used lots of "provided" gear over the years,some better that what I had,and some that just simply belonged at the dump.
Best rigs provided I have used have been a full monty SWR rig a couple of years ago at a festival, that was really,really impressive and would have owned if I had the funds.
And one many years ago as a support band for a Pink Floyd tribute band from aussie that provided a huge Ampeg rig when I was using a shitty 4x12 guitar bin and some old Peavy 150w amp, so I was in bass heaven,and will never forget that awesomeness.

Worst provided rigs have nearly always been combo's,I have come to hate every combo I have ever had the displeasure of using,even my own 350w Laney hit trade me,just poo's up against a band.

These days if I can take my rig to a gig thats providing a rig I will,as it lives in the car,and use it if required which is 9 times out of 10.

I am always quick to offer to use my rig if it means being the provider to a multi band gig in the same venue.Would sooner offer up mine which should please most bassists, and never had negative feedback on the "provided" rig.

We did an all expenses paid gig to Vanuatu a few years back...I dont even remember what gear was provided and couldnt care less,we only played for about a hour and a half and it was a paid holiday,yes ! :)

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 pm

pins wrote:Worst provided rigs have nearly always been combo's,I have come to hate every combo I have ever had the displeasure of using,even my own 350w Laney hit trade me,just poo's up against a band.
+100 :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Ha,you too huh :lol:

Maybe bfm needs a combo design with built in 900w minimum D class amp,all lightweight and the output of a 4x10 Harley ? or maybe be there is such a thing ?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:02 pm

I had bass amp with a powered sub attached. It was too much bass

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:51 am

I totally agree with the comment about combos being useless for rock band work. They do work somewhat OK for quieter gigs, and that's where I'm at now. The other day I played in a 600 seat auditorium with my little Phil Jones Bass combo (which cant really be compared to other combos, it's so different), and it was great. I didn't even use the powered extension for it.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 am

pins wrote:So I guess Carvin is not on your GAS list :wink:
not at this stage...... I don't even know what was wrong with the amp, but it sure sounded crap!
I'd heard so many good things about Carvin amps too, but maybe this was just a bad amp?

I used to have a Peavy combo that sounded good, but have had separate heads / cabs ever since
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle