Where to advertise for players??

Anything not specifically related to Bass
matt
Bronze Member

Where to advertise for players??

Post by matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:14 pm

G'day All,

After some advice on where to advertise for band members.

I'm back in NZ after lots of years overseas - when I left NZ in '94 the best way to find players was a note on a board in a music shop, or perhaps in a newspaper (trade and exchange??). Good grief, I'm starting to feel old (though age still has a "3" in front of it - for a couple of months at least)!

So, did a few private jazz / funk gigs as a trio last year - bass, keys, drums - just one quick practice, roll up and play sort of deals, but thought we'd get a little more into it this year and want to add a guitarist, and maybe a sax. Got a pretty limited network at this stage as have the other guys (back from overseas too), so, looking for the collective BPNZ wisdom on where to advertise.

I've seen the Rockshop website - looks like a good place to start, and I'll try and be pretty specific about what we're into and what we're looking for. Have you guys had any success with this?

Any other websites / publications / noticeboards that are worth posting on?

Any other advice??

Know any good jazz / funk guitarists that are looking to gig and have some fun?

thanks in advance...
...in search of the impeccable groove...

blues.bass

Re: Where to advertise for players??

Post by blues.bass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 am

WTF?! :D
Last edited by blues.bass on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Matt,

The RockShop web site is Ok.
I have had some success with it.

Try NZGuitars for guitarists (www.nzguitars.com), but take a large handful of salt with you.

But really, IMHO, you can't beat face-to-face networking.
Go to some open mic nights, or jams and have a scout around... or even go the gigs of bands you're similar in style too and chat to their members.
They personally may not be looking for another project, but many times they know someone who is.
Have you checked out Cafe One 2 One on Ponsonby Road?
They used to host the Creative Jazz Club (http://www.creativejazzclub.co.nz/) and a jam night, but I'm not sure if it's still running there.

Try the University and the polytechs... plenty of musicians and there maybe a few jazz students looking for a gig.

Basicly I've found you just can't beat old fashioned leg work.

Good luck!

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Dont be afraid to approach someone in a band already, if you like the way they play. I've been poached twice in my working life, it's a fact of life.

matt
Bronze Member

Post by matt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:29 am

BluesBass wrote: But really, IMHO, you can't beat face-to-face networking.
I'm hearing you - agreed, networking is the best way. We've got leads on 3-4 players from just networking so far, so we'll see where we go there.
Go to some open mic nights, or jams and have a scout around... or even go the gigs of bands you're similar in style too and chat to their members. Have you checked out Cafe One 2 One on Ponsonby Road?
They used to host the Creative Jazz Club (http://www.creativejazzclub.co.nz/) and a jam night, but I'm not sure if it's still running there.
Sweet thoughts - exactly what I was after - I'll check out the cafe and creativejazzclub and see where those lead. Anyone aware of other open mic nights or jams around the place??
martyforrer wrote:Dont be afraid to approach someone in a band already, if you like the way they play. I've been poached twice in my working life, it's a fact of life.
Not a bad plan - always worth asking the question. Cheers man.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 am

matt wrote:Sweet thoughts - exactly what I was after - I'll check out the cafe and creativejazzclub and see where those lead. Anyone aware of other open mic nights or jams around the place??
I guess the best plan there is to check sites like Eventfinder, and other on-line gig guides. Google will be your friend there I suppose, although quite a few of the open mics around the town are 'singer/songwriter' type deals.
There is also the Auckland Blues Club jam night of course, but there aren't a lot of jazzers there :wink:
The Auckland Jazz Club at the Pt Chev RSA holds regular gigs, but not jams.

matt
Bronze Member

Post by matt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks guys for all your feedback here. Took your advice and worked the network (haven't advertised yet) and found a couple of great players that we jammed with on Friday night. They've set the bar pretty high. If you're interested, take a listen to the tunes at http://soundcloud.com/bluejam/sets (from a handheld recorder at the jam - first time I've used it - surprisingly reasonable quality).

It was one of those "here's the chart, basic form, let's see how it turns out" kind of jams - the recordings are the first and only run through of each of the songs (one song's there twice with different guitarists). Some start a little way in as I forgot to turn the recorder on. Some great soloing by the keys and guitar in most tunes (typically a little way into the tune), and even a bit of a bass solo in one of them.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 am

Sounds pretty nice, mate!

Although I do note it has my fav hate in that playlist....

I have long held the opinion that if I ever find myself playing the toothpaste song (Girl from Ipana) and can actually get through it without some projectile vomiting, I will have reached old age and therefore it'll be time to quit and take up lawn bowls or hot rods or something else more suited to being old than playing music. :D

matt
Bronze Member

Post by matt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Jazzbass wrote:Sounds pretty nice, mate!
Cheers man - not bad for a first jam. Plenty to tighten up but some reasonable potential, and a lot of fun which is most important!
Although I do note it has my fav hate in that playlist....
I have long held the opinion that if I ever find myself playing the toothpaste song (Girl from Ipana) and can actually get through it without some projectile vomiting, I will have reached old age and therefore it'll be time to quit and take up lawn bowls or hot rods or something else more suited to being old than playing music. :D
I managed to keep my dinner down, so not sure what that means for me :mrgreen: ??
Keyboard player seems to like this one, but mate, it can get a little monotonous on bass after a while (gotta love those bossa 5ths) :roll:
Quite like the B section though...each to his own eh?

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Some good stuff in there. I enjoyed listening.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah Matt. Sounded really good for first time a.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

matt
Bronze Member

Post by matt » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Pablo Basso wrote:Some good stuff in there. I enjoyed listening.
beagle wrote:Yeah Matt. Sounded really good for first time a.
Cheers guys - some good potential to work on. Got a potential smallish gig lined up in May, so something to work towards too.