U.K

Anything not specifically related to Bass
Dan

U.K

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am

Yo,

I know there are a few Brits on this forum! In a week I'm heading over to the U to the K for some gigs and to play on an album, and wonder what you guys reckon is worth checking out musically. I'll be pretty flat out, and outside London most of the time....but if I end up getting some time I'd love to check out a cool gig/venue.

Any ideas?

BluesBass
Gold Member

Re: U.K

Post by BluesBass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi Dan,

Sounds like a cool trip...
Where abouts or how far outside of London are you?

I'm not all that familar with the outskirts of the town, and lets face it... anything outside the M25 isn't worth mentioning anyway and nothing North of the Watford gap is safe to visit anyhow :wink:

A couple of places I hung out while I was in London, were:

Ain't Nothin But Blues Bar
www.aintnothinbut.co.uk
20 Kingly Street
London W1B 5PZ

The Blues Kitchen
www.theblueskitchen.com
111-113 Camden High Street
London NW1 7JN

[check out the Blues in London web site. Its the definitive guide to blues in the town, with many gigs and jam nights listsed www.bluesinlondon.com]

Denmark Street (the British Tin Pan Alley) is not what it was but maybe worth a visit... if you've got a free afternoon in the middle of town.

The Brixton Academy is a cool venue, with many a good gig.
www.o2academybrixton.co.uk

Soho is a funky place, as is Camden Town.

Too many to mention really...

I'm not trying to teach you suck eggs, but basically just pick up any local paper they always have gig listings or Google: London (or insert name of town here) gig guide.

I'm sure the guys you are playing for/with will know the places to go (and to avoid) if they are reasonably local.
The music magazines also have heaps of listings; NME, Mojo (one of the best magazines on the planet IMHO) etc...

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Dude, thats awesome thanks!

I'll be playing in Oxfordshire, before heading to Tetbury in the Cotswolds where Modern World Studio's are. I'll be on my own in London for a day before I head back.

Thats exactly what I was after, finding a cool bar rather than scoping out gigs with guys I probably haven't heard of! Google can be a bit overwhelming...hell of a lot on, always good to get insider knowledge!

Cheers man :)

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Cool.
Have you been to London before?

If not, and if you just have a day there then I would recommend jumping on one of the open top tour busses that do the central circuit and do all of the tourist bits.
When I was there, there were two companies running tours and one had a live guide, the other had pre-recorded commentary.
Choose the one with the live guide.
You used to be able to jump on and off at the various stops and the tours ran every half hour or so, so you could get off at a place you wanted to explore further then climb on the next bus.

This is a great way to see London and not use the Tube (London Underground) too much.
And... the center of London itself is realatively small and compact (heaps of stuff all within walking distance or a short bus / Tube ride away).

We are heading back in April 2011, can't wait.
It's a great place to visit, but wouldn't live there again.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Cool man. Sounds like a great experience Dan.
Might be worth asking Glen Child too as he used to gig around London.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Feel free to ask me any questions. You could also post on my forum, Basschat.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Hey Dan,
How are you / how did you get on man?

Kev77
Bronze Member

Post by Kev77 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:15 pm

some if you're around.,., places besides the obvious denmark st, which not suprisingly has loads of kiwi staff,, my recent recollections are that nz is wayyyyyy cheaper and has a pretty good spread considering were at the end of the world.,., but for the window shopper
denmark st is woth a visit, but just around the end of the st is mungo guitars, worth a looksie
and if you get off at tot'nam court rd - there is a large rockshop guitar centre type deal UNDER the hmv mega store.,., also - about twenty strides post denmark st - just past borders is another rockshop kinda place - then a way cool vintagey place with a bass den downstairs.,.,

and these if youre in the niegbourhood
http://www.basscentre.com/about_us.html

http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm

http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/gu ... /Home.html
I wish I could play bass like John lee hooker

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Kev77 wrote:some if you're around.,., places besides the obvious denmark st, which not suprisingly has loads of kiwi staff,, my recent recollections are that nz is wayyyyyy cheaper and has a pretty good spread considering were at the end of the world.,., but for the window shopper denmark st is woth a visit, but just around the end of the st is mungo guitars, worth a looksie
and if you get off at tot'nam court rd - there is a large rockshop guitar centre type deal UNDER the hmv mega store.,., also - about twenty strides post denmark st - just past borders is another rockshop kinda place - then a way cool vintagey place with a bass den downstairs.,.,

and these if youre in the niegbourhood
http://www.basscentre.com/about_us.html

http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm

http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/gu ... /Home.html
Just visit the Bass Gallery.

The place under Virgin went out of business over a year ago - Sound Control.

The Bass Centre doesn't do high street retail any more, just online sales. You're gonna have a wasted journey.

New Kings Road Guitars aren't very bass orientated.

Denmark Street is good for a gander but don't go there with any expectations of a bargain.

Best bargains are on my forum. Pay in advance and arrange to have stuff shipped to where you're staying.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs