NZ bass string suppliers

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
Crazykiwi
Gold Member

NZ bass string suppliers

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 pm

I recieved this email this morning, in response to a query I sent on Saturday after a sharp edge in the nut busted one of the strings on my headless. I specifically need exposed core strings because I have piezo transducers in the bridge saddles and La Bella make the only six string set in a lighter gauge.

Sir,
We assume you are wanting a 6 string bass set by quoting SN45CB?
Sorry we cannot supply a 6 string set and we have no intention of ordering this model.
We can supply a 5 string set SN45B at $85 per set if you are interested.
Sorry we cannot help further.

Regards
[name and address deleted]

Sent: Saturday, 27 June 2009 4:55 p.m.
To: [email deleted]
Subject: La Bella Slappers SN45CB

Hi there,
Do you have any stock of these bass strings at the moment? If not, how long does it normally take you to get them in and how much are they a set? What would postage to Chch cost?

thanks

Steve

So it looks like I'll be ordering off Ebay then from a US supplier. Seems a shame to turn down business though.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Re: NZ bass string suppliers

Post by mjwhit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Yeah that sucks that they dont stock them.

But think of it from their point of veiw. It is very likely you are the only person within the last 12 months to want a six string bass strings for a headless bass. In fact I have never even seen a six string headless in my life. :D

There is no way it is a good business idea for them to have them in stock.

Good luck in your search.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:47 pm

80's New Wave King
Dave Cheeseboy
is a go too man in the NZ string department

give him a go CK
I find his email

from memory the D'Addario's are NOT exposed core
but worth a look-a-pie

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:05 pm

thanks guys :)

I specifically need exposed core for the piezo pickups in the Shuker, it makes a SIGNIFICANT difference to how responsive the MIDI tracking is. The piezos are by Graphtec who designed them for guitar, they're too small and slip between the windings on bass strings. The strings I enquired about aren't double balled either, they're just a bog standard set of La Bella Slappers. Why he can't be arsed getting 0.29 c-strings in, I don't know. Its not like they're a big financial risk.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks Foal, I'll save him to my bookmarks for future reference.

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:23 am

I think that currently there is no NZ agent for La Bella but I could be wrong I heard it second hand from a guy who bought our entire stock of Carvin Acostic Flats because they are La Bellas and he couldn't get them from anywhere else
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:58 pm

I bought some La Bella tape wounds from Weta in Wellington . Good price too $70 bucks I think

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Rock Shop used to be it
because I used to get Steinberger flavored sets from there
also the "Jamerson" set of flats
these are man sized flats not like the Chromes I now use
Hands of Steel Tension

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 pm

nzsimon wrote:I think that currently there is no NZ agent for La Bella but I could be wrong I heard it second hand from a guy who bought our entire stock of Carvin Acostic Flats because they are La Bellas and he couldn't get them from anywhere else
Thanks Simon :)

But I know FOR SURE there's an agent for La Bella in NZ [hint hint hint] :)

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:03 am

I am confused

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 pm

I just saw these on T&E http://www.te.co.nz/Music-Instruments/M ... 507156.htm
Probably crap , But at that price, might be worth a shot

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm

nzsimon wrote:I am confused
Basically the 6 string set of La Bella Slappers are not available in NZ. And it seems that NOONE in NZ is prepared to import 0.29 C strings even to make a 5 string set into a 6 string set.

I need La Bella Slappers because they are the only 6 string set available with an exposed core. I need the exposed core because regular core strings are not sensed very accurately by the piezo bridge pickups in my bass. So I can't use SwingBass/GHS/Daddario or any other regular core strings.

Result being that I'll get all my sets from Bass Exchange in LA. If/when they get around to responding to my emails.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm

it's all a bit unsatisfactory this thread.

Simon, I realize it's not your shop causing "an obstruction" here but could you possibly venture an opinion or reason about the reticence of a chain to import a customer request please? I understand it is at best a highly marginalized product request but does this not suggest the customer actually has an idea of what their talking about?

More for the piece of mind effect really :) Be nice to know someone gives a F**k eh?! :D

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:32 pm

As I sugge4sted I have heard there is no agent here in NZ it could be that the brand is up in the air it could also be there is a minimum quantity and someone deosn't want to get stuck with the rest of the box ? Other than that I have no idea strings is a tiny tiny part of what we do and we are not the agent for them