Good Strings

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Good Strings

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:04 pm

I play in a rock covers band and want some advise on good strings
I used to get the Warwick Red Label 45-105's, then found a guy selling strings and other stuff on Trade me and got some D'Addarios under $40 and they are pretty good
My Mum got me some fender bass strings for Xmas and THB I think they are crap.... very tinny sounding and not much depth to them (they've been on less than 2 months)

I would really like a good string that has plenty of depth / bass on the D and G strings and not sound tinny - preferably around the $40 range
looking at going back to D'Addarios or trying Enrie Balls

any advise would be helpful

thanks!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Good Strings

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 am

There is no advice that's going to help you. The reason is that every bass and every player is different. Also the setup on your bass will suit some strings and not others. Unfortunately the only way to find the best is to cough up and buy a different set/brand every time you change. Example: I love TI Jazz Flats, but some guys hate them.
For what it's worth, DÁddario XLs and Dunlop nickels are both good all round strings that seem to suit the majority of basses and players.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:42 pm

martyforrer wrote:There is no advice that's going to help you. The reason is that every bass and every player is different. Also the setup on your bass will suit some strings and not others. Unfortunately the only way to find the best is to cough up and buy a different set/brand every time you change. Example: I love TI Jazz Flats, but some guys hate them.
For what it's worth, DÁddario XLs and Dunlop nickels are both good all round strings that seem to suit the majority of basses and players.
+1. good post

And I also am loving TI flats, but two years ago I don't think I would have liked them.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Agreed , nice post Marty.I wanted to reply to Mr Bass Man too but the string debate can be an absolute minefield,because we have so, so many options at our finger tips :lol:
I have done exactly you said over 20 years now,tried almost everything out there,none have lasted a decade like some people I know :wink:
And you know what,in what must be 50-100 sets by now ,(only guessing,might be more,wont be less) I have never stuck with a brand, gauge,or type of string long enough for them to be "my string of choice".
For 2 main reasons,
1. I change strings often(average of every 2 months) and as a rule I biff the packet out with the old strings so I cant remember what I fitted come string change time.
2.My choice has been dictated by whats been hanging in the local music store at the time,and quite often that selection is very minimal(compared to the Guitard selection on offer),although a variety of brands seem to come and go over that time and Im always keen to experiment with strings.
So I guess for me, no string has ever really stood out and made me want them again.But as I get much,much older and only a little wiser I have only recently found myself doing some research before buying.
For my P bass ,the GHS Flatwounds I got from Marty are a perfect match, especially now I have fitted SD quarter pounder pick ups.
Not my string choice for my Jazz though.
Much waffle and banter that didnt help Mr Bass Man at all,I better go play some Bass. :oops:

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Thnks guys !
Actually my bass isn't sounding too bad at the moment - the DI problems seem to have been sorted out (thanks to a squirt of CRC) and a few adjustments on my amp and I seem to be getting a pretty good sound...

I did notice during Saturdays gig that my speakers were really pumping - i've never really seen them pumping in and out so much... pre-gain was on 5.5, volume on about 7 - should I be worried??
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, I can at least make recommendation based on my own experience.
At the moment I am loving DR Sunbeams for Roundwounds and D'Addario Chromes for flats.

I like strings with low-ish tension and that have good-mids. Not into super-zingy styles.