Skin Allergies - Help with Non Nickel Strings

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
beagle
Site Admin

Re: Non Nickel Strings / Skin Allergies

Post by beagle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Sounds nasty dude. I've only had to wear plasters over my fingers on gigs a couple of times.
Yeah I have come to realise that maintenance is the key.

Stress related - yep
Mine started around my wedding ring... just a coincedence? :lol:

Have heard of condi's crystals but not tried.
Purple ginseng sounds like a last resort!

Using heavy duty moisturiser multiple times a day seems to helping it heal quicker. Also not touching soap or getting hands wet as little as poss seems to help.

UV chamber? I understand the logic but it would only be a short term gain huh.
john wrote:Wow. That is quite interesting. Did it take long to get diagnosed?
I have had a similar looking thing ,to the first pic, on my hands before but it was more in my inner wrists. God knows what it was. didn't last to long, might have been a food allergy...like veggies probably :lol:
Tis a strange one alright.
I ignored it for 3 years. Have only seen a GP but if the latest lot of things I'm doing doesn't help I'll see a dermatologist for more ideas.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

beagle
Site Admin

Re: Non Nickel Strings

Post by beagle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey Foal
Ever tried Apple Cider Vinegar?
My mrs read about it online as a natural remedy.
I've been using it two days and it seems to be having a positive effect.

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Perhaps Elixir strings with the plastic coating will isolate your fingers from the nickel plating underneath.

Most strings seem to be steel core, steel wrapped with nickel plating, rather than solid nickel wraps. Nickel is an expensive metal. Maybe even try bronze wrapped acoustic bass strings. Rotosound nylon wrapped flats etc. No, don't do that...

A google of Nickel-free bass strings might be in order.

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:41 pm

believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:36 am

Well those must be new. Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to come over and get a set of your Carvin Stainless to try and also checkout some stage lights. 8)

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am

ash wrote:Perhaps Elixir strings with the plastic coating will isolate your fingers from the nickel plating underneath.
Most strings seem to be steel core, steel wrapped with nickel plating, rather than solid nickel wraps. Nickel is an expensive metal. Maybe even try bronze wrapped acoustic bass strings. Rotosound nylon wrapped flats etc. No, don't do that...
A google of Nickel-free bass strings might be in order.
Yeah those Elixirs are an option huh. After looking around there are surprisingly quite a few options to try.
Bronze acoustic bass strings is something I didn't think off... any ideas what they would be like?

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:34 pm

beagle wrote:Bronze acoustic bass strings is something I didn't think off... any ideas what they would be like?
Very piano like I'm guessing but not too sure.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Stainless steel usually contains nickel. Only 8-12% in many cases, but still more than none.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:39 am

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:42 am

ha ha.. yeah I heard that the black beauties come in different colours... pink isn't quite my style :lol:

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon May 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Etienne Mbappe (current bass player for John Mclaughlin) had a problem with sweaty fingers with high acid content - quote; give me a new bass with new strings and the strings will be dead after three songs! His solution was silk gloves and now uses them always -" gives a rounder tone, less fret noise with recording and smoother facility - he swears by them - check him out in Bass Guitar Magazine (UK publication) - graet for your woes Steve - give them a go.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 am

ryla wrote:Etienne Mbappe (current bass player for John Mclaughlin) had a problem with sweaty fingers with high acid content - quote; give me a new bass with new strings and the strings will be dead after three songs! His solution was silk gloves and now uses them always -" gives a rounder tone, less fret noise with recording and smoother facility - he swears by them - check him out in Bass Guitar Magazine (UK publication) - graet for your woes Steve - give them a go.
That's a new idea Ryla... might be best tried in the privacy of my own home tho. :wink:

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue May 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Silk gloves huh ? Never heard of that one before !

I feel for you guys with hand/skin issues.Must be an awful thing,and was unaware of such reactions to strings.

As a mechanic since 1981(my mundane day job) I am in a similar situation when it comes to hands and fingers..cuts,bruises,(and large cracks in winter only) and lots of them,everyday,everyweek.
Worst thing is slicing open my 1st and 2nd fingers of my right hand on a Friday with 2 gigs lined up.I cant use a pick with any prowess at all.
Much to my band mates horror I have found super glue to be most effective at sealing them up ! Hurts like hell but keeps the bleeding to a minimum and enables me to at last get by :shock: Plasters are just bloody hopeless.

Maybe I need to look at some nice silk gloves too :D when such accidents occur.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue May 18, 2010 8:20 pm

I have a mechanic friend and was a little horrified to see that state of his hands once, so I know what you are talking about, Chris.
Super glue, damn that must hurt

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

I use superglue quite often to glue up cut fingers. Although I find it doesn't hurt at all, as soon as it sets the pain stops and if the lump of glue comes loose it starts hurting again. You can get medical superglue, probably at a pharmacy, but I use fancy stuff for model planes at work, so that goes on fingers too.