Spammers

Welcome, Introduce yourself! Have any comments or ideas? It's your site, what do you want to see?
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Spammers

Post by foal30 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:41 pm

laugh all you want Team BassPlayer
but the cats that run finnbass
they banned accounts with gmail (?)
and the spam stuff was seriously limited

pretty sure I've got this right. just an observation anyway thanks.

Dan

Re: Spammers

Post by Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 pm

To be honest, there aren't thaaaat many spammers. Its pretty easy to manage. I think banning gmail addresses would be going a bit far on a small board though?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 am

Ageed. An a lot of the smammers I have deleted do not have G mail accounts

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:56 pm

We don't have many spammers on our forum. Its real people who are registering the accounts to get around the kaptcha and then handing the account details over to spambots.

Because of the human element here, its like graffiti. It only has an impact if you don't manage it in a timely way. Eventually those individuals get the message and bugger off somewhere less looked after. So instead of taking the draconian step of banning gmail and hotmail accounts for what is only a couple of spammers a week for us, we just freeze the accounts so they can't recycle email addresses. At one point we were even freezing accounts before they even had a chance to spam because they were so easy to recognise.

It's no big deal. If Beagle needs any assistance, I'm more than happy to help out in whatever way I can.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:37 pm

I clear out a spammer every couple of days or so. Its not often I see them, and I'm popping in fairly frequently throughout the day. I'm sure the other boys do a bit of clean up too. But we're hardly getting overrun!

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:23 pm

Crazykiwi wrote:If Beagle needs any assistance, I'm more than happy to help out in whatever way I can.
Cheers CK
Spam was much worse on the previous PHPBB ver 2 software. ver 3 is much stronger and I always keep on top of any updates.
It was a pain in the ass when I was doing it all by myself but the lads jump on to it pretty quick a. 8)
I don't think there are that many... probibly 1 a day on average.
And gmail, yahoo & hotmail accounts def have a higher chance of being spam.
I kill recent accounts if they show no real activity and have obviously clues like dodgy email address and host names. Can also check IP's which gives a clue as to wether they are from NZ or not. As you say CK, it's often better to kill the account before the robot kicks in and places all the posts.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T