What's your rig?

Thunder Boxes!
beagle
Site Admin

Re: What's your rig?

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:06 pm

binnface wrote:The lump I cart around. The Thumb was sold recently to fund buying a Rickenbacker. I wish I didnt have to sell it but there you go. :)
Dose anybody else use EBS amps/cabs?
Looks like a real backbreaker ;-)
hmm 2x 12 cab there huh? Are these getting more and more common?
I haven't seen any EBS gear in NZ.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Yeah big proportions all round huh
that 15" cab has a really large bottom vent
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

binnface

Post by binnface » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:57 am

beagle wrote:
binnface wrote:The lump I cart around. The Thumb was sold recently to fund buying a Rickenbacker. I wish I didnt have to sell it but there you go. :)
Dose anybody else use EBS amps/cabs?
Looks like a real backbreaker ;-)
hmm 2x 12 cab there huh? Are these getting more and more common?
I haven't seen any EBS gear in NZ.
Believe me the 4x10 is pretty heavy. I've always likes 12" bass speakers and the EBS makes a gorgeous sound. As for popularity I think they are. I've seen quite a few 2x12's now.

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:48 pm

Hello all (and hello Paul :wink: ) - this is my first post here. I'm one of the finnbass crowd.

Being cursed with spinal "issues" that would try the patience of a saint, last year I parted with my Ashdown ABM gear in favour of something a lot lighter: a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10.5 cabs, built for me by my friend Steve - the first authorised BFM builder in the UK. Each is loaded with an 250W Eminence Beta 10. I could have made things lighter still by opting for Deltalite Neo drivers, but I liked the sound of the Betas better. Each cab weighs approx 25lb and together they make a glorious din. :mrgreen:

Then I buggered up the whole "lightweight rig" concept by adding a Trace Elliot VA350 power amp that tips the scales at 80lbs... D'oh! :roll:

I usually like to run my basses in a one-channel-per-pickup stylee, so the stuff in the rack case is:
Peavey TB Raxx all-valve pre-amp
MindPrint enVoice pre-amp with parametric EQ and valve compression
Korg DTR-2 tuner
Hidden behind the topmost 1U panel are a pair of Sowter line-isolation transformers which sum the outputs of the pre-amps and avoid any hum-loops

Last edited by Oxblood on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Welcome along Oxblood .
That looks like a kick ass rig. I have heard those trace amps are real good . Probably worth the weight , and you could grab your back with a pained look on your face in front of the singer when its time to move it :wink:

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:39 pm

john wrote:Welcome along Oxblood .
Ta very much!
john wrote:...and you could grab your back with a pained look on your face in front of the singer when its time to move it :wink:
You read me like a book, sir. :wink:

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:07 am

Good to see you over here Ken :D

I really can't believe I've never asked you this on finnbass, but what is the advantage of using two preamps and summing the result?

Steve

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi Steve,
When the outputs of two passive pickups are directly mixed/blended together in the usual way onboard the instrument, they load each other down, and what results is a sound that's a sort of middling compromise between the two. There's nothing wrong with this: it can produce a very nice sound, but with separate pre-amping for each pickup, you get a 'best of both worlds' situation: each signal retains its full character.

A further advantage lies in the ability to process the two pickup signals in different ways, each with its own EQ/compression/whatever going on. A favourite sound of mine is to run one pickup (neck usually) through the TB Raxx with the top end rolled off and plenty of valve thickness dialled in, and run the bridge pup through the solid-state MindPrint pre-amp, with the EQ emphasis on clean clang and twang.

Some people go the whole hog and run each pickup to a separate rig (as I used to do with a pair of Ashdown combos). Such people are known as Chris Squire. :wink:

sk8

Post by sk8 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:44 am

I'm also from that Finnbass place!

Ain't got a picture yet but my Rig is a Shuttle 6.0 and one GB Neox-112T cab. Thunder in 2 hands!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Boldly going nowhere

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:29 am

Howdy sk8! :mrgreen:

sk8

Post by sk8 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:37 am

Oxblood wrote:Howdy sk8! :mrgreen:
Fancy seeing you here :mrgreen:

'Hi' to you too :D
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Boldly going nowhere

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:24 am

Oxblood that is a heck of a rig - I hate to think what you would do if you wanted to change basses rather than pickups? I spotted that one of the members here makes BFM cabs in NZ and he does export - wonder the shipping to the UK is?

Oxblood

Post by Oxblood » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 am

Beyond wrote:Oxblood that is a heck of a rig - I hate to think what you would do if you wanted to change basses rather than pickups?
Easy! Y'see the black XLR socket at the left of the uppermost 1U panel? That's the input for stereo basses. Wanna change basses? Unplug one and plug in the next - job done. For total flexibility/mind-bending confusion, each of my stereo basses has an added 3-position switch which swaps the pickup channels round or commons them into mono. By using a combination of that switch and the pickup selector switch, I can have:

Pickup A --> Pre-amp A / Pickup B --> Pre-amp B
Pickup A --> Pre-amp B / Pickup B --> Pre-amp A
Pickup A --> Pre-amp A / Pickup B OFF
Pickup A --> Pre-amp B / Pickup B OFF
Pickup A OFF / Pickup B --> Pre-amp A
Pickup A OFF / Pickup B --> Pre-amp B
(stop me if I'm boring you...)
Pickup A --> Both pre-amps / Pickup B OFF
Pickup A OFF / Pickup B --> both pre-amps
Both pickups commoned in mono --> Pre-amp A
Both pickups commoned in mono --> Pre-amp B
...and finally...
Both pickups commoned in mono --> Both Pre-amps! :mrgreen:

My active Mania bass is mono only, so I just plug that straight into whichever pre-amp I choose.
Beyond wrote:I spotted that one of the members here makes BFM cabs in NZ and he does export - wonder the shipping to the UK is?
Shipping? Just sit in the horn, grab a bass and row like hell. :wink:

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:16 am

Oxblood wrote:Hi Steve,
When the outputs of two passive pickups are directly mixed/blended together .....

A further advantage lies in the ability to process the two pickup signals in different ways......

Some people go the whole hog and run each pickup to a separate rig (as I used to do with a pair of Ashdown combos). Such people are known as Chris Squire. :wink:
Yeah! I guess that makes a lot of sense...

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:32 pm

Beyond wrote:..I spotted that one of the members here makes BFM cabs in NZ and he does export - wonder the shipping to the UK is?
Well, it would be probably cheaper for me to carry them on as hand luggage and personally deliver them :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info