What's your rig?

Thunder Boxes!
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

What's your rig?

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:01 pm

Gallen Kruger RB 400 with 410T Quad 10" box. Enough punch for small venues. Good sound. Bigger model amp would be better of course. This one is only 120watts into 8ohms.

Nick G

Post by Nick G » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:17 pm

At present, A Warwick stack - Terminator (2 x 10' - 2 x 15') + Neo Pro 4 x 10 thru a GK 2001RB head. Sansamp pre-amp. :shock:

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Currently using nice simple rig, after years of different rigs and set ups, I now enjoy a nice clean set up...SWR 750 head, Goliath 3 4x10 cab.

Nice and simple, and exactly the sound I want :)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah there is something to be said for simple huh. I've been out of the car and playing within 5 mins a few times. Plus... it's kinda hard fitting much more than a quad box in a sedan :wink: I've been tempted to sell my quad 10 box for a 2x10,horn box + a 1x15 box. Portable yet can customise for the gig.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:37 pm

Spot on.

Last week I actually bought a nice small amp for smaller situations, I used to use a 2x10 rig, but sold it before I went overseas last time. I picked up a combo 15", which I thought I would never do, but it sounds good enough and I actually just leave it in the venue.

I spose these days though, smaller and smaller amps are starting to pack a lot of punch, and there isn't really much on the market that you could go wrong with.

Smee

Post by Smee » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:48 am

Since I mainly play in covers bands I don't need anything too amazing as the bass is always DI'd into the FOH mix. I used to have a stack higher then me, but have recently down sized it to a Hartke 410xl and a (ugh...) Behringer head. The head is ok...ish, but its really hard to find a decent tone. It is very light and compact though which is the payoff, and since its only really for my monitor mix of stage, not too concerned about it.
I've been told it sounds pretty good out front.
I love cats........they taste like chicken

aldous_zodiac

Post by aldous_zodiac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Good luck with the site by the way!

SWR Workingmans 4004 head
SWR Workingmans 4x10T cab

Needs a 1x15 to really round out the bottom end, but everyone seems to love the sound...handles slap nicely with my Fender Jazz. Only delivers about 270w of the 400 since the 4x10 has an 8 Ohm impedance...

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:04 pm

Thanks dude! Great to have ya.
I've the same problem as you since I have a 4x10 8ohm cabinet. I was just telling DanAntunovich that I'd be keen on a 2x10+horn cabinet + a 1x15" cabinet for the same reasons as you... plus I could take along only what I felt like carrying! :) (Who'd wanna be a drummer? ;-) ).

aldous_zodiac

Post by aldous_zodiac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:18 pm

Your mention of portability is of interest; the SWR team designed the 4x10 so that it has no wheels..and yet weighs a considerable amount (takes 2 to move it anywhere and with lots of moaning!)...uhhm.

The rigs major "problem" is that it has to compete (at practice time) with a drummer whose use of the china and double kick (with his $20K kit!) overpowers (a progressive metal band no less); I'm often turned up to about 7.5 power amp; pre-amp on 6 or so - mainly to avoid virtual DC to the speakers. Even then, I sound a little low in the 'mix'...

I was thinking of being "cheap" and buying a Behringer 1x15...I wonder if you or any of your members had any opinions on this kit? I have heard indeed mixed reviews of Behringer kit....especially the aluminium cone variants.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Is another 4x10 cab out of the option? If you were running 8x10's you'd still have a hell of a lot of low end getting through, but obviously it's a little more expensive (unless you get lucky with trademe or something).

Personally I think that with the rig you already have, a behringer wouldn't do justice to the SWR stuff, if a 15 is what you're after then keep some compatibility with that SWR sound. Sure it might cost a little more, but I'd say worth it i the long run.

aldous_zodiac

Post by aldous_zodiac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Financially it's not really that much of an an issue...more that "lug gear around" counter philosophy (WRT another 4x10)! Also, that level of power is really only necessary for prac...I let the PA take over in gigs and stay close to the rig!

Having seen you play on one occasion, and knowing your background, I would bow to your superior knowledge on this one...even though I had basically given away the Behringer option...just seeking opinions.

And I must admit (and you might agree) I have had not one problem with my SWR gear. I have given it hell sometimes, and it always appears to be laughing at me despite my best efforts!

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:37 pm

I hear you on the transport side of it. Like I said in an earlier post, theres not much you can really go wrong with these days.

And at the end of the day, you gotta go with what you like, and how much you want to spend too :D

And yes, SWR is definitely tough stuff!!!!!

Out of interest, where did you see me play?

aldous_zodiac

Post by aldous_zodiac » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:12 pm

Civic theatre...I live in Wgtn but travel. I was impressed not because of what you played, but purely because it was so obvious that you were playing so well inside your comfort zone (please don't take that the wrong way - my band plays 190 bpm on stage for certain songs...and that means 3 finger pluck, not plectrum, but never so that I lose control or timing). The old adage of course: never play at or that near your limit.

As regards 1x15 vs 4x10..I think I'll go for the 1x15 for convenience (as per Steves posts re lugability and flexibility re: config when needed).

I must admit though, if I earnt a living from music as you do, a SWR750 or 900 with an 8x10 or similar would be a serious consideration.

Thanks for the reply

garethredington

Post by garethredington » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 am

ampeg svt 4 pro
swr golaith 3
usa a powered pa speaker for db

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Ashdown

ABM400

ABM410H and 1510HX

Not much variety, quite old fashioned sound. Good lows, reliable, easy to run.
Octaver is OK on D and G strings.

Could not reccomend as an "all-rounder" but is suitable for gigging workhorse with a little character.