quick amp question

Thunder Boxes!
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

quick amp question

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

I'm looking at buying a practice amp (on TM) - the one I'm looking at doesn't have a line out / DI on the amp - however it does have send / return jack outputs on the amp - can I use the 'send' output to send the signal from the amp to the mising desk??

reason asking is I'm getting sick of hauling my 4x10 cab / amp to rehersals and wquld like to use the practice amp for rehearsals and run a line to the mixing desk.
plus I'll be able to practice at home instread of using my acoustic guitar to learn my bass lines on

if I can't do this then I'll have to look for another amp that is suitable

cheers :)
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

BluesBass
Gold Member

Re: quick amp question

Post by BluesBass » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi, I am no amp expert.... but I doubt it.
It sounds to me that what you describe is the 'effects loop'.
The amp is probably wired like this -> Preamp (Tone Controls, Drive Controls, etc) -> Effects Loop -> Power Amp.
You take a cord out of the send jack and through the input of a pedal or two and then out of the output of the last pedal in the chain back to the return jack on the amp.
I doubt the signal the send jack would be giving to the desk would be good enough.... hence the reason for DI's.

But, like I said... I'm no expert.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 pm

What is the amp?
Because it is not balanced signal like a DI sends, you may get interference causing buzz or hum if you run the chord between amp and desk over a distance, over power chords, other electrical devises etc.
But I used to do this all the time with my old Peavey amp and it worked fine and I didn't get hum.
Like Bluesbass said most sends are post input gain, eq etc and the return is an input to the power amp section.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:08 pm

What about something like the GK MB112-II? 1x12, 200 watts, 13kg!!, built in DI with pre/post switch. $800 retail so I guess $700ish? Depending on how big your PA is it might replace your 4x10 rig if you just need it for onstage monitoring... Or a few hundred more (and a kg or two) for a 500 watt 2x10 version.

Or a lightweight 1x12 cab with your current head?

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

timi wrote:What about something like the GK MB112-II? 1x12, 200 watts, 13kg!!, built in DI with pre/post switch. $800 retail so I guess $700ish? Depending on how big your PA is it might replace your 4x10 rig if you just need it for onstage monitoring... Or a few hundred more (and a kg or two) for a 500 watt 2x10 version.

Or a lightweight 1x12 cab with your current head?
thanks - there is a GK combo on TM that looks good but it's too big and out of my budget for a practice amp
I'm looking at less than $200 for an amp and the one I've seen is an eden 40w amp - has 2 inputs? (passive / active) basic EQ / gain / volume and send / return and a headphone output
It doesn't need to be a balanced DI signal - I just want a smallish amp that I can take to rehearsals and run through the PA, and also sit is next to me in the spare room so I can learn songs on my bass instead of learning on the acoustic guitar and then transposing them onto the bass at rehearsal
I used to have a little Jansen 30w amp and from memory I used the headphone output and ran that to the PA but that was over 20 years ago and that amp has long since been sold.

I am looking at getting another cab to add to my rig, but would prefer to get a practice amp first - doesn't matter what age or condition as long as it works!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm

There is a Warwick 150watt combo on TM at the moment - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =755389535. At the moment the bidding is up to $1.50. However, the seller is unsure how well it is working. Still might be something worth checking out and it looks like it has a 'line out' to help you hook up a bass signal to the PA.
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Also found a Ampeg 25 watt combo with a 'headphone' output feature for $160 buy now on trademe too http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 632165.htm
I recommend you look on either trademe or post a wanted to buy advert here on bassplayer.co.nz. You can sometimes find some great bargins
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote: thanks - there is a GK combo on TM that looks good but it's too big and out of my budget for a practice amp
I'm looking at less than $200 for an amp and the one I've seen is an eden 40w amp - has 2 inputs? (passive / active) basic EQ / gain / volume and send / return and a headphone output
It doesn't need to be a balanced DI signal - I just want a smallish amp that I can take to rehearsals and run through the PA, and also sit is next to me in the spare room so I can learn songs on my bass instead of learning on the acoustic guitar and then transposing them onto the bass at rehearsal
I used to have a little Jansen 30w amp and from memory I used the headphone output and ran that to the PA but that was over 20 years ago and that amp has long since been sold.

I am looking at getting another cab to add to my rig, but would prefer to get a practice amp first - doesn't matter what age or condition as long as it works!
The eden looks pretty good for home practice and it looks like you could plug it into the PA just fine.
But I'm wondering if plugging the amp into the PA is actually going to give you much more of an advantage over just plugging your bass directly into the pa

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 pm

thanks guys - I'm looking on TM at the moment.....
we have a large PA for gigs with powered subs, powered top bins, monitors...etc and for rehearsals we just use the mixing desk and 1 top bin.... plus I'd like a small amp to use at home

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:I'm looking at less than $200 for an amp
So probably not something that you want to imprint any tone on what's coming out of the PA, I'd get a decent DI box before trying to run out of the line out of a practice amp.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:13 pm

timi wrote:
Mr Bass Man wrote:I'm looking at less than $200 for an amp
So probably not something that you want to imprint any tone on what's coming out of the PA, I'd get a decent DI box before trying to run out of the line out of a practice amp.
I agree, I don't see any advantage to plugging a practice amp into the PA, but he also wants to have a practice amp at home. I'd get the practice amp for home and just plug the bass directly into the PA at rehearsals

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 am

I meant get the practice amp but put a DI box in front of it.