Page 2 of 2

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:08 pm
by monster
12" drivers can certainly handle a lot of power these days along with larger fore-and-aft movement to shift some air... great for bass :-)

Although not in the same ballpark as a GB 2x12 or similar, I am soon going to load some new Eminence drivers into my old Jansen 2x12 Bassman cab. Hopefully I can make it work nicely.

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:01 pm
by timi
monster wrote:I am soon going to load some new Eminence drivers into my old Jansen 2x12 Bassman cab. Hopefully I can make it work nicely.
I have a Livesound cab which has Beta12s in it, but I often use my bandmates cab (I think it's a Bassman 2x12) which also has Betas. Sounds great.

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:55 am
by Bill Fitzmaurice
Before anyone jumps on a driver size bandwagon you first need to do a reality check: There is no 'signature sound' based on driver size. The sound any driver produces is based on fourteen or so T/S specs, along with a number of construction details, and the cabinet that the driver is loaded into. There is one, and only one, factor that's determined by driver size, and that's the midrange dispersion angle. The larger the driver, the smaller the angle. But even that applies to using a single driver in a direct radiator enclosure. Put two tens side by side, for instance, and the midrange dispersion angle is halved compared to one driver. Put a fifteen in a correctly configured horn loaded enclosure and it can have midrange dispersion wider than a 1x10 direct radiator. Put two twelves side by side and you have the laser beam highs that guitar'd players haven't been able to find the reason for, despite the fact that acoustical engineers knew the reason for it thirty years before Leo Fender invented the Twin Reverb. :roll:

Predicting cab performance based on driver size alone is like predicting vehicle performance based on tyre size alone. It's a minor consideration.

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:03 am
by martyforrer
I use 400 watts into ten 5" speakers! Just thought I'd throw that curve ball in for a laugh! :mrgreen:

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:37 pm
by monster
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Put a fifteen in a correctly configured horn loaded enclosure and it can have midrange dispersion wider than a 1x10 direct radiator. Put two twelves side by side and you have the laser beam highs that guitar'd players haven't been able to find the reason for, despite the fact that acoustical engineers knew the reason for it thirty years before Leo Fender invented the Twin Reverb. :roll:
Mmmm! Interesting comparison between 1x10 direct radiator and horn loaded 15. I don't have much experience with horn loaded cabs.
You are so right about side by side 12's. My music department has a Fender FM 2x12 for guitar,and typically a guitarist will sit on it and have no idea that the treble is melting someone's ears a few feet away.

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:11 pm
by monster
timi wrote:I have a Livesound cab which has Beta12s in it, but I often use my bandmates cab (I think it's a Bassman 2x12) which also has Betas. Sounds great.
This is good to know - I've been looking into a pair of Beta12-AII's which are available in NZ for a reasonable price.
However, talking about this is throwing the thread off its intended discussion...

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 am
by Bill Fitzmaurice
monster wrote: I've been looking into a pair of Beta12-AII's which are available in NZ for a reasonable price.
However, talking about this is throwing the thread off its intended discussion...
The OP asked about 4x10 versus 1x15. It's highly appropriate to inform him that there's nothing inherent to either format to recommend or dismiss it. What matters isn't the size of the drivers, it's the totality of the result. If you're an engineer you can predict that with a very high degree of accuracy. If not the old fashioned method of choosing a cab, play through as many as you can, is still the best.