Genz Benz Shuttles

Thunder Boxes!
martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Genz Benz Shuttles

Post by martyforrer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 pm

I have a Shuttle 3.0 combo with the 10" speaker, and I have a Shuttle 12" extension cab. It suits me just fine, particularly as I play double bass as well as bass guitar. If you play in the average sort of loud rock band you would probably want the Shuttle 6.0 or mebbe the 9.0. Chris on here has the 9.0 and his guitarist told me he hates it 'cos he cant hear himself! :mrgreen:
I have yet to play a gig where my Shuttle 3 didn't have the cajones, but I would refuse to play a gig that loud anyway. My ears are way too precious. The bottom line I guess is that GenzBenz are very clear, transparent amps, like SWR, but have a nicer warm bottom than SWR. (I have owned 2 SWR amps in the past) As with anything, the only way you'll know is to go to the RS and play one.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

martyforrer wrote: The bottom line I guess is I have a nicer warm bottom.
I'm sure you have Marty, but - TMI !!!

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:48 pm

i've had one ashdown amp come back for repairs after 3 years or so at music planet. and it was cause it got pushed off an 8 by 10, off the stage and onto the floor. the transformer did not survive.

genz benz stuff rocks. been eyeing up the new aguilar one tho!
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I do have the Shuttle 9 as marty pointed out and yes nice to be able to drown out that wailing guitard if necessary :lol:

Great amp,pokes out amazing bottem end and Im very happy with it. And in saying that I am just as happy gigging with my older and now repaired Sunn(fender) 1200s,its still a great bass amp,even though a tiny screw rolled out from its internals at fri nights gig :shock: but now at least I always have the tiny 9 packed as well.

I actually think buying the GB Uber410 cab was the best investment in gear to date.

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 pm

martyforrer wrote:As with anything, the only way you'll know is to go to the RS and play one.
I've made myself a date this weekend at the rs, so will see how it goes..... :P :P :P :P
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 am

irvinz wrote:...it was cause it got pushed off an 8 by 10, off the stage and onto the floor. the transformer did not survive...
How do you pull that off? Apart from being totally smashed at three in the morning.

By the way, Chris, I'm pretty sure that the Sunn 1200s and the Fender TB-1200 are completely different beasts entirely.
Fenderfan wrote:I've made myself a date this weekend at the rs, so will see how it goes..... :P :P :P :P
Hope it goes well for ya! Last time I went to the RS they were low on stock from the Christmas season, so hopefully that situation's fixed by now :?
A-boom boom boom boom!

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 am

sonicfantom wrote:Last time I went to the RS they were low on stock from the Christmas season, so hopefully that situation's fixed by now :?
Bugger I didn't think of that :oops: ..... might have to visit my local then krd..... :)
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 am

I have one of the early fender made,but Sunn branded 1200s amps,has the exact same fascia as the fender made Sunn300T,only mine is solid state.The Sunn brand was dropped by fender once they bought them out and my amp became the fender 1200 pro,then discontinued to be made.
You are quite right though it is totally different to later model TB-1200.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Ah, so it's one of the "transition" amps, so to speak. Thanks for clearing that up :D

@Fenderfan: I visited the K'Rd RS before Christmas, and the North Shore RS after X-mas, if that's of any significance. Then again it was two weeks ago, so there shouldn't be any stock gaps.

Kinda irritating when the only sub-100w amps in stock are Line6 (two guesses why) :lol:
A-boom boom boom boom!

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 pm

The Line 6 no good? Never really paid much attention to them TBH.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:46 pm

sonicfantom wrote:Ashdown has reliability issues?
A few years ago when they established the Chinese manufacturing base, yes. I'm not aware of any issues recently.

I have a Shuttle 6, a cracking amp. Everything essential and nothing unnecessary. Really well designed. The only drawback is that it doesn't do 2 ohm loads so if you have a pair of 4 ohm cabs you will only be able to use one. However for the price of a used Shuttle 6 you might as well get two.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

sb0h

Post by sb0h » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 pm

The Shuttles are nice but check out Ed Friedland's review of the Streamliner 900 on YouTube. I oredered a 600 and it's just arrived in the country awaiting clearance at customs. Longest week and a half I've ever had to wait!!

5string_wlg

Post by 5string_wlg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:01 pm

sb0h wrote:The Shuttles are nice but check out Ed Friedland's review of the Streamliner 900 on YouTube. I oredered a 600 and it's just arrived in the country awaiting clearance at customs. Longest week and a half I've ever had to wait!!
Wow that Streamliner 900 looks incredible! and I totally relate to the waiting time - I recently bought a TC Classic450 2nd hand from the US on the 20th December lastyear, and tracked it every single day until it arrived into customs on the day before the NY eve - it was a nail biting new years eve due to the fact that if it didn't arrive that day the next business day was the following Wednesday and I wanted to play with it like yesterday! Thankfully the Bass gods answered my prayers and I was cranking it from 4pm onwards -LOVEIT :D

sb0h

Post by sb0h » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 pm

The Streamliner has arrived and it is awesome!!

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:32 pm

One of these ?

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid= ... 675&cid=95

Genz Benz was a brand I had not even heard of a few years ago,was looking to upgrade, and now I have their shuttle 9 amp and Uber cab and finally have no gas for anything else in this department.Taken a long time to be happy. :D

the streamliner series look a step forward again,im sure you wont be disappointed. 8)