Genz Benz Shuttles

Thunder Boxes!
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Genz Benz Shuttles

Post by Fenderfan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 pm

So I've been looking at a few options in terms of amps to upgrade to. I'm after something that is going to be capable in a gigging situation, and easily transportable - hence the shuttles. Has anyone had experience with the 6.0 and or the 3.0? My budget isn't very large so was thinking of the 3 and a cab off tm or somewhere to go with it. Just dunno what the 3 would be like in a gigging situation. Any ideas opinions? was previously looking at a marshall amp vs ashdown but after reading reviews and opinions online am starting to think otherwise.
Cheers, Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

joppo

Re: Genz Benz Shuttles

Post by joppo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey Tim

There are a couple of really good discussions on the Shuttles (3.0, 6.0 and 9.0)
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=919 and http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1521

Most people seem to really like them (me included). Not sure where you live, but most Rockshops I've visited seem to have a 3 or a 6 in stock so you can try it out yourself.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Definitely try one yourself, I read so many good things about them and absolutely hated it when I tried one.

Markbass, GK, TC Electronics, Ashdown, Orange, Ampeg and SWR are all doing the micro thing too, probably many more. Lots of choices in that size/price range.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 pm

I would like to try out a TC electronics amp

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 am

I wasn't sure about them and faffed about for a couple of years before grabbing a 6.0.
I'm completely sold on them. Deep full tones and everything I'll ever need in a bass amp.
I have the tweeter turned off on mine (210T).

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:58 am

Cheers for those links Joppo, was looking through old posts last night but missed one of those. I'm gonna roll on down to my local rs and check one out, have a play etc. Anyone seen the shuttle combos in rs or elsewhere? Assuming you can add an extra cab to it? That would be ideal for practice vs gigging situations me thinks.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 am

timi wrote:Definitely try one yourself, I read so many good things about them and absolutely hated it when I tried one.
+1. Mini-heads are a love-hate thing, just like modelling amps :?
A-boom boom boom boom!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 am

sonicfantom wrote:
timi wrote:Definitely try one yourself, I read so many good things about them and absolutely hated it when I tried one.
+1. Mini-heads are a love-hate thing, just like modelling amps :?
Not sure what you mean, all the mini heads sound really different so I don't know how you could love or hate all of them as a group, unless you hate all solid state power amps...

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 pm

I was talking about GB's mini-heads in particular, because I quite liked the GBE750.

I noticed that he was talking about Marshall vs Ashdown, so I'm not sure if a GB Shuttle is in the same tone ballpark.

Psst... Music Planet's doing ABM500s for $400 off...
A-boom boom boom boom!

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah was looking at the ashdowns online at musicplanet, but am just cautious as every review or thread about them seems to bring up the issue of reliability. In my band we're looking at gigging soon and don't want to get something that'l let me down. :?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm

I haven't heard about their reliability issues. But all the same this looks pretty interesting
http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail ... lve&ID=241

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 pm

I really dig Ashdown stuff, don't think you could go wrong. I've played all around the world where sound companies have Ashdown stuff as backline......I guess that says something about reliability :)

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Ashdown has reliability issues?
A-boom boom boom boom!

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm

? According to online reviews etc ? Who here has an ashdown rig or knows someone that does? What do you think of them? Music planet does seem to have some good deals at the mo...

sonicfantom
Silver Member

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:15 pm

A lot of the guys on the board have Ashdown gear (considering getting an Ashdown rehearsal amp myself, tbh), and I haven't heard any reliability complaints from them at all.

Their gear is amazing for the price, and some of it looks pretty darn awesome :D
A-boom boom boom boom!