Suitable cab for Jansen Bass 75?

Thunder Boxes!
TheWizard

Suitable cab for Jansen Bass 75?

Post by TheWizard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this forum – and to tube amps. I was hoping I could get some advice on where to start with getting a cab.

So I've got myself a Jansen Bass 75. I've had a mission of a time trying to find out what I should be looking for specs-wise. As fas as driver arrangements (1x15, 2x10 etc) are concerned, I have no preference yet as I've been using only 15" combos till now, so having a head now I'll be able to shop around a bit for tone.

The Jansen tech guy said "Any cabinet with a good speaker rated at 100 watts or more with a fairly light cone should do. You can set the impedance on the rear panel of the amp, but 8 ohms is best. A 16 ohm duo would be good too."

So I guess I'd be looking at 100W+ @ 8 ohms? Alot of 4x10's are 400W @ 8ohm so I presume these would be too much?

If anyone has any experience with these amps and found a suitable cab I'd appreciate to know what it was to at least use that as a starting point.

Thanks.

zero
Silver Member

Re: Suitable cab for Jansen Bass 75?

Post by zero » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Nothing wrong with having a cab rated way higher than your amp...I ran a Jansen 50 through a 400w Ashdown 4x10 for quite a while.

It really depends on the sound you're after. IME the Ashdown cab was a perfect match...but you should be able to try out a bunch of different ones and find one you like.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 pm

I use a Bassman 50 into a 1200 watt 8x10 sometimes and it's great. Just have to make sure the speakers are efficient, and these days I'm pretty sure any "good" brand will be.

As the 75 isn't much louder than the 50 I think you would find a good 1x15 would have a really nice smooth slow tone but they tend not to cut through live very well and don't move much air. 2x15 could be cool but they are bulky for the amount of sound they put out.

2x12 will move more air than a 1x15 and should cut through better but they aren't common. A 4x10 would be a good match unless you play in a really loud band, in which case I really think you need to be looking at 4x12 (uncommon), 6x10 or 8x10.

TheWizard

Post by TheWizard » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Thank's for the replies – I'm quite surprised that you could plug it in to cabs of that rating and that many speakers.

From what I've read, the 2x12 option sounds pretty appealing. I wonder if I could get a guitar 2x12 cab with busted speakers or something and swap out the drivers for some bass ones.

Would the amp not have trouble pushing all those speakers in a 6x10 or 8x10, or is it a case of more speakers = more air moving, so more... presence?. My band is pretty loud I guess so that sounds like something I should also consider. In any case, I guess I should really just go round a few shops and plug it into various things.

On another note I understand you can link the channels on these amps – would anyone be able to point me to some info about this?

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 am

I think a 4 x 10 would sound great for you.

Linking the channels is just looping a patch lead from Ch1 to Ch2 inputs.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

TheWizard wrote:I wonder if I could get a guitar 2x12 cab with busted speakers or something and swap out the drivers for some bass ones.
Speaker cabs are not just speakers slapped into a box (well, crappy ones are), I wouldn't recommend this.
TheWizard wrote:Would the amp not have trouble pushing all those speakers in a 6x10 or 8x10, or is it a case of more speakers = more air moving, so more... presence?.
As long as the big cab has efficient speakers you will be fine, and the more air you move the bigger/fuller/louder it should sound. "Presence" to me means top end, either by having lots of treble or having the speakers nearer to ear height so you can hear them better.

If you need to go loud with that head you should be looking at good 4x10 cabs at a minimum. Try some stuff at shops to see what kind of tone you like but I think you should see if you can borrow/hire something and try it with your band. If you get a cab with a horn/tweeter make sure you can turn it off. You will probably be running your amp into a bit of overdrive which can sound really harsh into horns.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 am

+1 on a 4x10. If you decide you want some more speakers, you can always stick a 2x10 or another 4x10 on top.

Hoffman's Iron Law (Paraphrased Edition) states that out of low, loud, and lite, you can have at most two. I like my amps loud and low, and I'm prepared to put up with two 4x10s and a rackmounted head to get it. Now, if I actually owned the rig that I play I'd be complaining about the price tags :shock:
timi wrote:If you get a cab with a horn/tweeter make sure you can turn it off. You will probably be running your amp into a bit of overdrive which can sound really harsh into horns.
OD/Distortion is very good at blowing piezo horns.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, don't worry about the cabs' power handling. You'll have trouble finding 2x10s rated for under 200w, let alone 4x10s.
A-boom boom boom boom!

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:48 pm

TheWizard wrote:Hi there, I'm new to this forum – and to tube amps. I was hoping I could get some advice on where to start with getting a cab..
If you live in Auckland, you can come around and try some BFM cabs, and perhaps take one away fro trial at a gig.

PM me.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: not available
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 pm

I use a 15" speaker with a Jansen BassMan 50
this is for blues, R&B, soul type stuff. P Bass + flatwounds
certainly not hi-fi but a fairly good approximation for that 'type' of music.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:04 am

I used to use my Bassmans with any of 4 x 12", 1 x18", 1 x 15", 2 x 15". They sounded fine through any of them.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm

TheWizard wrote: From what I've read, the 2x12 option sounds pretty appealing. I wonder if I could get a guitar 2x12 cab with busted speakers or something and swap out the drivers for some bass ones.
Well speak of the devil.... here's a 2x12 with Neos for sale. Neo speakers are lightweight which is a big bonus if you're into lugging cabs: http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1659
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm

'Tis the devil, indeed. Why can't I get stuff magically pop up when I want it... Jealousy... *muttermuttermutter* :evil:

*Ahem* sorry. Back on topic: BUY EET.

$1799 new at the RS, FYI, but if you want a new one for some unexplainable reason then PM NZRS_Dave.
A-boom boom boom boom!

TheWizard

Post by TheWizard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:56 am

Jazzbass wrote:Linking the channels is just looping a patch lead from Ch1 to Ch2 inputs.
So I would plug my bass into say, Channel 1(1) (my amp has 2 sets of 2), then plug a patch lead from Channel 1(2) into Channel 2(2)? Why would I want to do this? Extra gain or more EQ options?
Harley wrote: If you live in Auckland, you can come around and try some BFM cabs, and perhaps take one away fro trial at a gig.
PM me.
Thanks Harley, yeah I live in Auckland so I might have to take you up on that offer at some point!
sonicfantom wrote:+1 on a 4x10. If you decide you want some more speakers, you can always stick a 2x10 or another 4x10 on top.

Hoffman's Iron Law (Paraphrased Edition) states that out of low, loud, and lite, you can have at most two. I like my amps loud and low, and I'm prepared to put up with two 4x10s and a rackmounted head to get it. Now, if I actually owned the rig that I play I'd be complaining about the price tags :shock:
Haha I'm probably the same way inclined myself. I've never been one to compromise, often to my detriment.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:38 pm

That's correct for the patch lead. It just gives you a few more tonal options.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 pm

On some (like mine) the two channels sound quite different so you can blend them together for more control. On others they sound almost the same, so the only reason to link would be to push more level to the power section (ie more breakup).