Marshall Or Other?

Thunder Boxes!
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Marshall Or Other?

Post by Fenderfan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Help wanted and opinions and or suggestions needed! I'm looking to get myself into a head and cab, and am currently looking at the marshall mb450 head with matching cab with four tens. Has anyone used these or know a bit about them? They at rockshop and looks like its gonna set me back around 1600, and I'm not in the position to go any higher, So what would people suggest? Recommend anything else in the same sort of price range? Cheers, Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: Marshall Or Other?

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:21 am

Everybody has their own set of prejudices, mate.
My set means that I wouldn't have a Marshall bass amp on my arse for a wart.

Do you have to buy new?
If not, there are zillions of good used amps on Trademe.

What sort of music do you play?

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 am

I tried the big Marshall head at the town Rockshop...it was OK, until I saw the price, and felt very confused - why drop so much on that when there are many, many better options for the same price?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 pm

The VBA400? Around $3200ish? If so awesome amp, but 400 watts, 40KG and 2 or 4 ohms only.... If they did a VBA200 that could run 8 or 4 ohms I would probably buy one.

Never played the one that Fenderfan is asking about.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:08 pm

I have little experience with marshall bass rigs,the only big name i seen with a huge marshall bass stack was Lemmy,im sure there are many others ? I thought they only made decent guitar stuff.
I know of no local players in my neighbourhood of 20 years using marshall for bass,maybe there is a reason for that ?

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:14 pm

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp ... e=OVERVIEW

Had a quick play around on one at rs takapuna, but the dude there didn't really understand my concept of try before you buy?!
I know it'll be running at 300w with the four tens, but that should still be fine in my situation.
I'll take a step back and expand - I'm in a four piece band that plays our own breed of heavy rock, and battling two guitarists, want to make my mark so to speak. I'm currently using a small 60w behringer (gasp!) amp thats fine for the mo, but we are keen to be gigging soon, and I would like something bigger with a nicer tone (not hard) and more grunt! I use a little bit of overdrive on some songs, and a bit of chorus to give it just that little bit more, but other than that I like a nice, warm tone. I was told (by the salesman at rs) that the warwick I was comparing to would be no good in that situation? Comments? Ideas?
I have been looking online at ashdown from music planet, but saw in another forum (sorry!) that they can be unreliable? Anyone had experiences good or bad with any of these amps?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:15 pm

BTW, doesn't necessarily have to be new, Just like to get in my head budget and item , to drive me to save!!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Don't discount the used Peavey combos, they're good, well-priced serviceable amps that can pound out decent volume. Try one out if you can. You'll be able to hear yourself like you can't with the Behringer.

My son in London plays in a metal band and uses a PV 1x15 BW combo, although for most gigs he DI's through the deck and just uses a DI box, can't remember which one. He finds the PV is fine for his use.

There's so many choices. Personally, I'd hook up with other bands and see what they've got and try some in a band situation. Trying in the shop is a very poor way to assess a bass amp imo. What sounds great at low volume can sound arse at gigging levels etc.

There's a Rockit 300W head on trademe that might be worth a look also. They are a grunty little amp with the right cab.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:31 am

Fenderfan wrote: and battling two guitarists, want to make my mark so to speak.....Comments? Ideas?
IME if you are battling two guitarists, you are going to be battling your audience and the sound man as well. If that's reality in your group, then you need to address this problem way before you start addressing equipment.

You guys need to learn how to balance your stage sound properly and put egos aside if you're going to be anywhere near professional.

If the guitarists, or you, or your drummer can't play at a level so everyone can hear each other on stage without being insanely loud, find another group. Serious!
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 am

Excellent advice right there.
Fenderfan wrote:I have been looking online at ashdown from music planet, but saw in another forum (sorry!) that they can be unreliable? Anyone had experiences good or bad with any of these amps?
Tim.
I have an Ashdown EVO AMB III.
I have had it since about 2001 and aside from the fact that little led on the turner mute button no longer come on when you press the mute button, I have had no issues with it at all.
I purchased it in the UK, so it has seen the inside of a shipping container, many gigs and we use it a blues club jam sessions.
It's been great.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 am

used is the way to go i reckon. for a lot less that the price of that Marshall rig you could find a decent SWR, Peavey, Warwick or Trace-Elliot setup.

marshall really doesn't have any reputation when it comes to things BASS.

all-solid-state heads from SWR and Warwick have a fairly hi-fi/sterile tone...the ones running a tube pre-amp are warmer. TE stuff seems to cut through the mix beautifully (no wonder, they went on to form Ashdown). Peavey (or even Rockit) stuff just goes and goes and goes...but without much "character".

one option would be to find a cheap powerhouse rig, and pickup a Catalinbread SFT or a Tech21 VT-Bass to run at the front - that'll give you whatever warmth/tone you're after.

Harley - i kinda disagree about loudness - it's necessary in some cases for the music to drip out with the intended effect...but you're right on the money regarding stage sound, you'll lose if you try to fight the engineer and PA.

that being said my band is stupidly loud, but that's just the way we like it (OK, maybe not our drummer :mrgreen: )
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:53 am

Feel free to buy my Mesa cab :mrgreen:

Ashdown are very good - in my old metal/grunge band, I used an Ashdown MAG300 with 4x10 (and eventually a 1x18 :oops: ) and it worked very well indeed.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 pm

model.citizen wrote:Harley - i kinda disagree about loudness - it's necessary in some cases for the music to drip out with the intended effect...but you're right on the money regarding stage sound, you'll lose if you try to fight the engineer and PA.

that being said my band is stupidly loud, but that's just the way we like it (OK, maybe not our drummer :mrgreen: )
Yes, I was referring to stage loudness as distinct from FOH loudness. But dripping loudness runs the risk of boom or mud or both.

The problem is that if the stage volume is over the top, the mix becomes difficult and FOH ramps up and it's a snowball effect and the punters suffer.

I always treat playing in a band as the next step to a better paying gig and so I am mindful that whilst we musos may like to be real loud, the guy/gal out there who is going to give us our next gig, mightn't......but hey i'm an old fart already.... :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 pm

As long as the bass rattles my trouser legs, its all good! :D

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:00 pm

i prefer a sound that attempts to flatten my lungs and make it hard to breathe :lol:

i've always had a rough rule-of-thumb that if you HAVE (not choose) to wear earplugs while playing, then you're too loud.

i've played gigs where my rig was so loud it didn't end up needing to go through the PA :twisted:
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband