VICTOR WOOTEN

Who da man?
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

VICTOR WOOTEN

Post by definite » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:14 pm

I scrolled down thinking hes bound to be on the list - but he isnt!

I just finishing watching heaps of clinic bits of him on www.bassplayer.tv and hes awesome - yeah sure his playing is mean but its his approach and emphasis on MUSIC and expression over technique, notes and chops that I just love!

The man!

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: VICTOR WOOTEN

Post by beagle » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Yeah good call man. Victor is amazing.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:48 pm

wat list is that? definite, if your around the city let me know, you could take my palmestry album by victor wooten home for a few days =) its been in my player all week, which would give me a good reason to put some smv on. 8)
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:27 am

irvinz wrote:wat list is that? definite, if your around the city let me know, you could take my palmestry album by victor wooten home for a few days =) its been in my player all week, which would give me a good reason to put some smv on. 8)
The list of bassists in this forum/ thread!
Hey thanks for the CD offer but Im inspired by this cat enough to go out and cop me an album or 2 of his anyway! =)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Joppo found this one.
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Big Country
Has Victor Wooten on fretless five string doing some very nice soloing 8)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FXHOyqHzupk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FXHOyqHzupk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:11 pm

I hate Victor Wooten's playing he's immensley talented but to many notes, awfull tone(despite the beautifull fodera's he uses) and general lack of musicianship make me wonder why he chose bass not banjo. p.s do not be offended this is merely my humble opinion please dont kill me!

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:03 pm

bassnut14 wrote:I hate Victor Wooten's playing he's immensley talented but to many notes, awfull tone(despite the beautifull fodera's he uses) and general lack of musicianship make me wonder why he chose bass not banjo. p.s do not be offended this is merely my humble opinion please dont kill me!
I'm with you there. There's no bassplayer superstar that I'm a fan of, usually because they're fast with no really groove or melody but they have lots of crap tone. That extends to guitarists too, barring Tommy Emmanuel.

Wait, that depends if you count stu hamm as a superstar. I enjoy him.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 am

T-Dub wrote: Wait, that depends if you count stu hamm as a superstar. I enjoy him.
+1
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 am

bassnut14 wrote:I hate Victor Wooten's playing he's immensley talented but to many notes, awfull tone(despite the beautifull fodera's he uses) and general lack of musicianship make me wonder why he chose bass not banjo. p.s do not be offended this is merely my humble opinion please dont kill me!
Offended not... v pleased to see someone share their own opinion.
but how can someone be immensely talented... and have a general lack of musicianship? that does not compute. please explain.
He does his own style which is on the fringe... if lots of people don't like then that's to be expected. but I think it's inspiring to hear boundarys being pushed. Otherwise nothing ever changes.
Bass is not typically a lead instrument but he plays it as such and that seems to get some bass players and non bass players backs up.
The interesting thing with virtuoso bass players is whether or not they are able to simplfy their playing appropriatly / pull it back as the style they are playing requires. I've known some lead guitarists who find this impossible to achieve.

and yes... he would of made a fine banjo player :lol:

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Another guy, in a similar vein... is Jeff Berlin.
He tends to polarise opinions more than Victor I think... mostly likely due to his own very strong views.

I think they are both fabulous players, although not really my taste, but I like to think I can appreciate what they are about even though I can't listen to their music for too long.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:32 pm

I can't listen to Jeff Berlin at all. I probably heard 3 or 4 tracks tops, ever. That was more than enough.

paradoxically he writes a great article and has some right proper concepts around learning/theory/practice. This has been invaluable to me at least.

as for Wooten I have never bothered to listen. There is only so much chops I can take. One day I'm sure I'll dive into some of his recordings but at the moment I can cope with out it.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:16 pm

foal30 wrote:paradoxically he writes a great article and has some right proper concepts around learning/theory/practice.
Very true, and thats kind of what I was getting at when I referred to his very strong views.
He posts on TalkBass.com on a semi-regular basis and his posts are always pretty interesting reading, but like his music I couldn't sit down and read (or listen) through much more than about 15-20 minutes.

I'd to like attend one of his clinics or workshops though, if I had the chance...

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 am

ok, so everyone keeps a good groove only and serves the song when in rhythm section mode onstage with the band, but at home,no one soloes or noodles their bass? I do the Wooton thing at home but really suck at it - its fun though.

joppo

Post by joppo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:24 pm

I confess to sucking at noodling at home! I'm always looking for things that sound good playing alone because that is how I play 95% of the time. The kids leave the room, but the dog doesn't seem to mind :lol:

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:32 am

joppo wrote:The kids leave the room, but the dog doesn't seem to mind :lol:
Dog's never forget where their food comes from :lol: