Best / Fav Bass Player seen in person.

Who da man?
Dan

Re: Best / Fav Bass Player seen in person.

Post by Dan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 pm

While he may do some "widdling" he's definitely one hell of a groover!

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Yeah... quite amazing to watch his vids on you tube.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:43 pm

And since no-one's mentioned....Sting blew me away the other week, I thought he was awesome!

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 pm

beagle wrote:Yeah... quite amazing to watch his vids on you tube.
Well, here's some VERY short clips I uploaded of Victor playing at that gig. Camera would only allow me to take 30 second clips!

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/c ... I_0637.flv
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/c ... I_0607.flv

I could have met him backstage as I knew someone who could have introduced us but I had the other half with me at the time and she was getting very irritable because she was extremely tired and wanted to go home... ...women, eh? We only lived down the road from the venue as well!

I think my contender for this thread is going to have to be Meshell Ndegeocello. I saw her play at the Jazz Cafe a couple of years ago and she was awesome. Her role in the band was pretty low key and they played instrumental the whole night. But her sense of timing is awesome. I really like players who know how far to pull the groove back behind the beat.

That whole gig was taped when she did it in Switzerland. You can see it here if you've got a spare hour or so and a fast connection ;)

http://r.bluewin.ch/?id=48859
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:04 pm

Crazykiwi wrote: Well, here's some VERY short clips I uploaded of Victor playing at that gig. Camera would only allow me to take 30 second clips!
Yeah short alright. Pretty good sound tho for a little camera.
His bass sounds sweet... would love to know the recipe

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:58 am

Well, obviously there's his Fodera bass which is an all maple neck with an ash or alder body and I believe I saw him playing an Ampeg SVT4-Pro through a 4x10 and 1x15 cab but he had the 1x15 ON TOP. Weird eh?
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:18 am

hmm... Good stuff huh.
Yeah I guess that is unusual having the 4x10 on the bottom. I've prefer 4x10 on top but don't think it makes any real difference overall.. but it sounds better to me as I'm closer.
What's your thoughts?

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:20 am

I don't know. :)

I've never really spent a lot of time with a 4x10 and 1x15 rig, its unnecessary for the gigs I do and when you're parked on a double yellow, loading in during the end of rush hour in London, before getting ticketed by a warden, there's not a lot of time to lug large cabs about. The largest I get is a 1x15 combo and a 2x10 cab but they sound pretty similar to me at the moment, I have to confess and none of the hotels and halls I play in central London really need both cabs.

The only advantage I can imagine from having a single cone on top is that you'll get a more clearly defined attack. Often with multiple coned cabs, where cones aren't sealed in their own enclosures, the cones can interfere with one anothers movements resulting in a slightly slushier attack. I know from my own experience that my 1x15 combo has a much better attack than the pair of 2x10's I used to run, even if the 2x10's had more burp in their midrange and a longer throw. The 1x15 and 2x10 are still being trialled at the moment (saved for bigger gigs of up to 1000 people) so I'm not going to comment on that combination apart from saying I think they sound quite similar and the 2x10 may still need bedding in.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:35 am

Crazykiwi wrote:I've never really spent a lot of time with a 4x10 and 1x15 rig, its unnecessary for the gigs I do and when you're parked on a double yellow, loading in during the end of rush hour in London, before getting ticketed by a warden, there's not a lot of time to lug large cabs about. The largest I get is a 1x15 combo and a 2x10 cab but they sound pretty similar to me at the moment, I have to confess and none of the hotels and halls I play in central London really need both cabs.
Yeah fair enough. It is a lot to carry around. I mainly use my 4x10 but because I tend to do small gigs. My amp hasn't got a lot of power, and my 4x10 is only 8ohms so when I need more 'volume' I add the extra cabinet to better utilise the amp. When I look to upgrade I'd be after a more powerful amp, a 2x10" box + 1x 15" box.
The 2x10" looks really nice portability wise.... and the lightweight neo speakers looks really appealing. 8)
Crazykiwi wrote:The only advantage I can imagine from having a single cone on top is that you'll get a more clearly defined attack.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.
Crazykiwi wrote:I know from my own experience that my 1x15 combo has a much better attack than the pair of 2x10's I used to run, even if the 2x10's had more burp in their midrange and a longer throw.
That's interesting. I would have thought the opp was true.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 pm

+100 Meshell Ndegeocello - DEFINITLEY check out her music.

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Woo Tom Warrington tomorrow at jazz school in welly! Can't wait for that, he's sick as.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:11 am

Although he isn't well known as a bass player (but he does play) I got the chance to stay in the same hotel/meet Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age on saturday night. (just wanted to brag. :mrgreen: )

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:15 am

lol... since we are on that note we got to hang out with and meet the guys from the Police when they were over in February. They finished the gig and we gapped it straight back to our hotle and they were staying there aswell. After freshening up we met some friends in the lobby for a drink and found the other group of patrons in the lobby were none other than Sting, Andy, Stewart and their entourage. It was kinda trippy as the concert was a no photo zone, so we got some photos with them over drinks.

It is such a treat having all these international acts over. Sting rocks as a live player.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:47 am

I think Brendon's beaten you on the brag competition Cory :wink:

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:21 pm

Yeah I will most definately admit defeat this time.