Best / Fav Bass Player seen in person.

Who da man?
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Best / Fav Bass Player seen in person.

Post by foal30 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 am

Ryla and Ray Brown. I can't come close to that.

Juan Nelson (Ben Harper) and James Eller (The The) would be two that stand out for me playing wise and ability to sound and suit the groups they were performing with.
Local wise Tom Rainey and Matt Gwynne.

Considering the age and geographical range we have on board here I'm guessing we could end up with a very cool list. I'd certainly like to nosy in on everyone's favorites.

john
Gold Member

Re: Best / Fav Bass Player seen in person.

Post by john » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:49 am

i havent seen to many international groups so ill leave that out

but local id say paul dyne and pual mouncey( not sure if thats right bit he playes with odeesa )

go the pauls

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:25 am

loved marc johnsons playing with the john schofield trio at - wait for it - the mon desir in takapuna next to the swimming pool, he took a beautiful solo that was just putting notes into space - nothing flash just real purty music - much like charlie haden.P.S, marc has a great book out there with chuck sher called "new concepts in bass soloing", it includes no tab (yay) and 2 cds with marc soloing beautifully over the examples.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:13 pm

Kenny Pearson knocked my socks off playing with Murray McNabs outfit at the Auckland art gallery concert series years back, so good i bought the album that week - Kenny was one of the county's leading bass stars and was a big loss to New Zealands music scene when he was killed while driving home from a gig - and a caution to us all about the gauntlet we run by driving home late after a gig - its pretty crazy on the roads at 2 in the morning.

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:35 pm

john wrote:i havent seen to many international groups so ill leave that out

but local id say paul dyne and pual mouncey( not sure if thats right bit he playes with odeesa )

go the pauls
I totally agree I saw Odessa play a few years back and he was amazing

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm

yeah man he is real good . a band i was in must have been around 96 went to duneden to do a gig and a band he was in opened for us ( fisting gorilla man ( good name)). i was like dude this guy is gooood. he must have been about 17 18 too. i think odessa have the same drummer and gat player. not sure. at least one of them. i think .hazy times. rickie gouch played trumpet and sang.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:09 pm

I like the first record.
"I could beat you in a fight" is worth it for the name alone and it has a kick arse Bridge.

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:07 am

The only part that lets that album down for me is the final few bars of "Bring the Money Back" he plays a couple of muted pops and it makes me cringe every time. It just doesn't fit.

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:46 pm

I saw Stu Hamm play with Jonathon Mover (Drums) and Joe Satriani (Guitar) at Mountain Rock in the Manawatu years ago. I was actually working stage crew and got to meet Stu, have my copy of Radio Free Albumeth signed and stand a wee way off stage from them while they played. It was absolutely incredible. They are all unbelievably great musicians.

Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is also an incredible player to see live. I have enjoyed their most recent concerts as they have been playing a lot of freeform jams like they used to. I remember seeing them once without John Fruscanti playing and they had Dave Navarro instead and at those times they really tended to just stick to the setlist as such.

I went to a Jeff Berlin Bass workshop once, he is a great mentor for players of all abilities, not to mention a monster player.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

angrymaori

Post by angrymaori » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:51 am

I disagree about "Bring the money back". Yes the pops are disjointed, but I think they weave in and out of pocket enough to add, more than detract from the song.

If theres anything on the odessa album that dont fit, its the disco groove in "Back from the dead". Full respect to that groovin mofo, but its as if his fingers arent quite fast enough to skip up the octaves exactly in time. It just feels a little weak after the strong and simple line that precedes it in the same groove. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with any of his playing elsewhere in the album. I actually enjoy his fills etc because of how well they fit the music. Plus I think he locks in well with the drummer and the old guitarist. Cant wait to hear their new stuff.

Loved the dude from supergroove, but only ever saw him after the che period, and didnt like that stuff.

Maynard Fergusons bassist when he came here was chur.

The dude is Muse is good. Consistent, strong, fluid.

I guess it depends. Do you mean best bassist as in sounds mint and grooves well, or likes to show off with fancy *BANNED* but cant actually play? Theres a difference between a bassist and a guitarist with four strings. Bassist play, guitarists just wank.

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:14 am

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:26 am

Love it! :lol:

Brooksie
Bands / Groups: The Chosen few, CBX,

Post by Brooksie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Flea - RHCP
Juan Nelson - Ben Harper

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Timmy C!
Saw him on Friday.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 pm

I saw Victor Wooten early last year, down the road here in Shepherds Bush. I thought he was pretty good, even though widdling isn't really my thing.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs