Chris Squire is on his way ...

Who da man?
jazz1234
Bronze Member

Chris Squire is on his way ...

Post by jazz1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Hope this isn't an April Fool's joke... but Yes are playing the Vector Arena on 1 April next year. I'm yet to be convinced about the latest Yes incarnation (no Jon Anderson) ... but my ticket's booked and I'm getting set for some delicious Squirey Rickenbackerness!

jazz1234
Bronze Member

Re: Chris Squire is on his way ...

Post by jazz1234 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm

A brief follow up to Yes' show in Auckland on April 1st ... it was a great gig, all the more impressive for being the first night of a new tour, with a new singer. The new vocalist nailed it and the band sounded like they were enjoying themselves. More importantly, Squire's playing and tone was full-on as always! He played his Rick 4001 - sublimely - for most of the night, with the green Mouradian for one or two numbers (Owner of a Lonely Heart, for one), and a Tobias played upright-style on a stand (!) on one of the newer songs.

Some of my photos here:
http://dancingdownunder.webs.com/apps/p ... d=13214008

And a local fan's review here:
http://www.marbecks.co.nz/news/newsDeta ... KTR1FF5BE6

Most amusing interlude: Band walks back on for the encore (Roundabout) but Chris can coax not a sound from his bass. Glares menacingly at his bass tech and there is much examination of the amp rack ... while Howe, White, Downes and Davison riff happily on the opening chord sequence for several minutes. Just when it looks like all hope is lost Chris wanders back towards his pedal board and (I'm guessing here - but this is what it looked like) notices the mute button ... one push and hey presto - we're away!

A memorable night ...
Steve

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:13 pm

RIP Mr Squire.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Yes, very sad news today, Chris Squire lost his fight with Leukemia. The world has lost another one of the greats and one heckuva nice guy!

R.I.P. Chris, I'm gonna miss you as I'm sure many others will too...
:( :cry: :cry:

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Very Sad News Indeed.... I just saw this news headline while browsing another site - I didn't even know he was ill

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3eOyuGSk5

the rumour I heard earlier this year is that YES were going to be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 2016 and both YES lineups (Anderson, Howe, Squire, White, Wakeman, Rabin, Kaye) would do a big 'Super-reunion'
But I guess that won't be happening now

RIP Chris :(
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

jazz1234
Bronze Member

Post by jazz1234 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:21 pm

A huge loss ... Like countless others, Chris was one of the reasons I first picked up the bass in the 1970s and definitely the inspiration for getting my first Rickenbacker. He was one of those great players of that era (along with the likes of John Entwistle and Jack Bruce) that redefined what rock bass was about - turning it into a melodic, lead instrument front and centre. He was also a great songwriter and vocalist. I had the privilege of seeing him live several times with Yes - always a great show - and meeting him twice. Chris, your music made this world a richer, more magical place - and you’ll be missed.
Attachments
DSCN0418_3.jpg