My Favourite Bass Players

Who da man?
john
Gold Member

Re: My Favourite Bass Players

Post by john » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:49 am

ryla wrote:if i like what i hear, i will check out whos playing so i can listen to more from them.

me too. i do my research guys

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Heck, it is imperative.
Sleeve notes are a godsend.
I cite Anthony Jackson as proof.
It don't matter what "artist" is pout front, Jackson and Gadd = compulsory acquisition.

Daci

Post by Daci » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:39 am

My favorite bass players hm.............
1. Billy Sheehan
2. Stu Hamm
3. Jeff Berlin
4. John Myung
5. Jaco Pastorius
6. Victor Wooten
7. John Patitucci
8. Steve DiGeorgio

rifle

Post by rifle » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:44 am

Rudy Sarzo (quiet riot,Ozzy Osbourne,Whitesnake,Dio) just few!!
Robert Trujilo (not so much as definite listed below plus Black Lable Society and Ozzy Osbourne!!)
Steve Harris( Iron Maiden)
Billy Sheehan(Mr Big,Talas,David Lee Rot,Steve Vai)
James Lomenzo( Megadeth,Black Label Society +)
Stu Hamm ( joe Satriani +)
Marco Mendoza ( Thin Lizzy, Blue Murder, Whitesnake , Ted Nugent, Neal Schon and Soul Sirkus +)

and more.... this are just few of the best ones I like.

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/meshuggahN8, www.myspace.com/madmaxband
Bands / Groups: 4:20 then Mad Max now NoneTheLess & Doublewide.

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Oh and hey Geddy Lee, that man got skills. Not a huge Rush fan but respect where respect is due.
Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

docbass
Bronze Member

Post by docbass » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Hey all - I dont think hes been mentioned here but Bill Gould from Faith No More ranks pretty highly with me, he played a huge variety of styles during his time with FNM and particularly in their earlier stuff played some lovely funky lines which really helped frame their sound.

docbass

miked
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Bon Derriere

Post by miked » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:59 pm

As a newbie I've got to get my ten cents worth- where is John Paul Jones? Led Zep's bottom end, a very melodic player who doubled as keyboard/arranger.
Also an overlooked player who hailed originally from CHCH, the late Gary Thain - bass player for Uriah Heep.
Yeah, I know I'm showing my age but good music is good music regardless.

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/meshuggahN8, www.myspace.com/madmaxband
Bands / Groups: 4:20 then Mad Max now NoneTheLess & Doublewide.

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Lets not forget John Deacon (or the Deacon John as once quoted) from Queen. You gotta love that riff from "Dragon attack"
Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

Brooksie
Bands / Groups: The Chosen few, CBX,

Post by Brooksie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am

Mark King - Level 42
Louis Johnson - Brothers Johnson
Geddy Lee - Rush
Flea - RHCP

I also will give mention to:
Tmmy C -RATM (His basslines are'nt flash, but they are solid)
Sting - The Police (I dont no why but his basslines are out of it, must be coz he is singing at the same time, i dunno man, it's just off beat and cool :)

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Re:

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 pm

foal30 wrote:Incognito may be Randy Hope-Taylor.
Yep it was until a couple of years back, I was luck enough to meet him last year at an outdoor free gig he was playing with a function band he plays in called the All Stars. He's a really nice chap.
foal30 wrote:Prince. I kid you not, he and the players in his roster/alumni have laid down some serious grooves.
I saw him twice last year at the Dome during his 3121 tour. His concerts were OK but the real action was happening at the after gig party where he was on a much smaller stage in a venue that could hold maybe 1500 people tops. He was working some serious magic with his band onstage both nights and his band leading skills were quite simply mind blowing. They'd start playing a cover like Zarothustra by Billy Cobham and it would morph into an extended funky jam which Prince would lead. It was like he had a mix tape going in his head, he knew exactly where to cue the others in and out, he covered any bare spots with his guitar and then he'd be jumping on the drums, the bass or the keyboards showing the OTHER pro musicians how to pull of the whacky chops he wanted to hear. I've never witnessed such an inspirational performance, it was SO tight. The second night Beverly Knight, the british soul singer was on stage and she was pushing the boat out with singing and band, then when Prince actually came on stage with her she was so emotionally choked up about being in his presence she couldn't sing properly! Apparently performing with him on stage was one of her life long ambitions (and this is a lady who has had Top10 UK hits).

I'm gonna +1 on Jamerson, out of anyone I've ever heard his timing is just unbelievably nailed. I can relisten to almost any of the Supremes or Marvin Gaye motown tracks and still find something new to learn in them, no matter how often I've heard them.

I'll add Bernard Edwards, Julian Crampton (Joey Negro/Sunburst Band and now Incognito) and Meshell Ndegeocello to the mix as well.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:55 pm

+1 for Meshell Ndegeocello,
She has some sick grooves.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 pm

I really like her album "Bitter" it's a real curve ball from the preceding one. Which is tops too, but in a very different way. It's shows a degree of spanking mugness to knock out high quality yet divergent music back to back like that.

as for Prince, I'll just sloop off crying into my John Banks hanky... twice eh? call me jealous
Maceo Parker is on his way to Christchurch, that'll be nice, but really no shake to seeing Prince
I got a film of one of his London Party gigs from mid-90's
berserkness, and the horns even bust into Glen Miller's "In the mood"
it's all on.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:53 am

foal30 wrote:I really like her album "Bitter" it's a real curve ball from the preceding one. Which is tops too, but in a very different way. It's shows a degree of spanking mugness to knock out high quality yet divergent music back to back like that.
Yeah, I think my fave track by her is "Make Me Wanna Holler" off Peace Beyond Passion, I think she kind of lost her way a little with Cookie. People sometimes criticise her lyrics for being pretentious at times. All that stuff about an oppressed gay man would be like Barry Humphries writing a song about being an oppressed lesbian.
foal30 wrote:as for Prince, I'll just sloop off crying into my John Banks hanky... twice eh? call me jealous.
We met some people from Norway who had just taken the week off and every night they went to see him play! When the tickets were priced at £31.21 though, who can blame them?
foal30 wrote:Maceo Parker is on his way to Christchurch, that'll be nice, but really no shake to seeing Prince
I got a film of one of his London Party gigs from mid-90's
berserkness, and the horns even bust into Glen Miller's "In the mood"
it's all on.
Aww yeah, was that from his gig at the Astoria? That was pretty good, I've got a bootleg somewhere of that. Wouldn't mind the film though either ;) I can recommend the Y2K and Live At Las Vegas DVDs for some great jamming too. I've heard Maceo is also pretty approachable so if you get the chance to hang out after the show around the stage door it might be worth doing.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:33 pm

It goes with out saying that I rate Steve Harris, sure he's pretty much a one trick pony, but it's the intensity and passion that come through in his playing which I appreciate.
I tend to admire bass players that just crank out the grooves, like the dude from rage against the machine.

I've recently been listening to Infeczious Grooves, back when Rob Trujillo got to play to his ability, man can he funk it out!!
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:07 am

+1 For Robert Trujillo with Infectious Grooves
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."