Jaco again!

Who da man?
Dan

Re: Jaco again!

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 pm

martyforrer wrote:As a musician? You gotta be kidding! He had no equals in that group. Jaco composed all the horn parts for the 18 piece Invitation big band, the band played a big concert which was recorded for the Invitation album ..... unrehearsed!!! Jaco's charts were flawless! Listen to this album, listen to the fabulous horn harmonies and nuances, listen to the fact there was no chordal instrument in the line-up yet the horns and bass outlined the structure perfectly...... and listen to Jaco GROOVE.
Equals? I dont think so.
We need a facebook style "like" button on this forum!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Dan wrote:
We need a facebook style "like" button on this forum!
:like:

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Granted, the traditional role of a bass player is to hold down the groove and keep everyone in check....but who are any of us to say what a bass player should be? Surely people should be able to stretch the boundaries? There are many techniques used commonly as "backing bass players" that came from people breaking the mould and branching out into new territories.

I still think a good bass player is one who has tons of ability and creativity, because when you put yourself into a basic band situation you are going to play the simple stuff so much better (as long as you don't try to play like Jaco over brown eyed girl :lol: ).
I suppose I'm old school, not that I mind, it's where I'm comfortable. That's what it comes down to really.I'm not into pushing boundaries. Years ago, I bought a CD of Stanley Clarke, yeah right, not my bag, and also a CD of Steely Dan. Now you're talking. I felt more at home with SD, I guess more my taste.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm

I think "Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" and "Come ON , Come over"

are strong grooves with high chops and great music
I've been mucking around with the intro of DCFDM actually
might have it at approx .25 of recorded tempo :lol:
Slave to the Rhythm Changes