Blisters.

Bass related topics
mjwhit
Bronze Member

Blisters.

Post by mjwhit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Kind of an odd topic, but one thats real relevant to me right now.

I've been playing a lot lately. And I like the sound I get when I dig in. So Ive gotten in the habit of turning my amp down and playing hard.

I developed a few nasty blood blisters on my right hand fingers yesterday, and it hurt like hell to play.I had an audtition today, so I opened it up with a needle this morning and superglued over the top.

Took me a while to get through the calluses with the needle. Its a lot better now. Still kinda hurts, but at least its playable.

What do you guys do when you get them? Do they heal up faster if you leave them alone?

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Re: Blisters.

Post by model.citizen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 pm

never had a blister from playing in my life! worse i've had is a bruised side of me thumb from attempted slap playing (which i cannot do whatsoever for the life of me).

worst blisters i've seen are the ones on your wrist where you rub against the side of the bass (esp. if you sling it low). i've always worn a thick wristband on my right so this would never happen (also 'cause the binding on my basses hurts a bit against my wrist over time).
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Yeah they hurt like hell when you play on blisters .
I have always used a pick when I have got them . I don't know if there is a quick fix

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

john wrote: I have always used a pick when I have got them . I don't know if there is a quick fix
Yeah that was my last resort. I dont mind playing with a pick, I just fell that I get into it more playing fingerstyle.

Next time I get them I will do what I done today. Squeeze all the blood and whatnot out and put a couple of layers of superglue over top. Worked a charm.

Cant be good for the strings, but better than agony. Should've taken a photo, they were really impressive. :)

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Did the super glue put a layer on your finger that lessened the pain?

joppo

Post by joppo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:32 pm

I've read that some people use super glue on their fingertips if their fingers are soft to stop getting blisters. I'm sure that goes against the manufacturers instructions!

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:03 pm

joppo wrote:I've read that some people use super glue on their fingertips if their fingers are soft to stop getting blisters. I'm sure that goes against the manufacturers instructions!
Yeah I heard that old school rugby players used to glue up wounds when they got sent to the blood bin.

My fingers are in no way soft.
The issue is the meat under the calluses still bleeds if i play hard and long enough. This leads to blood blisters. (dont even think of quoting that out of context!)
Did the super glue put a layer on your finger that lessened the pain?
Yes. After bleeding out the goo from the blood blister, a few layers hardened up the skin and make it almost like new. Like a protective shell over the sensitive area. Highly recomended for short term recovery. Went from unable to type, to rocking out in less than 15 minutes. Cant imagine it helping the actual recovery though.
I may have to stay away from the bass for a few days.

model.citizen
Gold Member

Post by model.citizen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:21 pm

well from what i've heard superglue was first invented as an instant field dressing...

bassbro

Post by bassbro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 pm

http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/phpbb2/view ... f=17&t=689

see above thread for some nastys I got a year or so ago

i used some taped them up before playing for a couple of weeks, same tape you would use for taping up fingers in basketball

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

bassbro wrote:http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/phpbb2/view ... f=17&t=689

see above thread for some nastys I got a year or so ago

i used some taped them up before playing for a couple of weeks, same tape you would use for taping up fingers in basketball
Yeap thats almost exactly how my middle finger looks now. My pointer finger isn't nearly as bad though... Should be right in a few days.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:31 am

Sorry to state the obvious but pain is your body's way of telling you you're doing something wrong.

Generally if someone is trying to build up callouses they'll do a much better job by backing off when their fingers get sore. If they play through the pain to the point where they get blisters then they'll end up sloughing off the very skin that they need to thicken up.

Superglue is a last minute bodge to get through a night, it shouldn't be part of someone's long term approach to bass playing. Also, when bassists play aggressively, all that tension in their arms and back can lead to longer term issues such as RSI and back pain. Playing heavily or aggressively makes it harder to control the dynamics of the note as well.

If you're fighting your instrument to get the sound you want out of it then maybe its time to look at getting another instrument?
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

model.citizen
Gold Member

Post by model.citizen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 am

i've got a nice swollen lump on my right wrist this morning after practise last night without a wristband...bloody binding sucks, i wonder why they ever thought of putting it on...

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 am

Because it looks cool :D
I have never heard of that happening before ,Ouch

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 am

What bass were you playing at the time? Ive never heard of that happening either.

model.citizen
Gold Member

Post by model.citizen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:27 am

a ricky. used to get it even worse with an ampeg dan armstrong, that sharp lucite ain't gentle on the arms!

but i play my axe slung pretty low, so my wrist is often in contact with the top edge of whatever i'm playing.