Adjusting to 5 string.

Bass related topics
ryla
Gold Member

Adjusting to 5 string.

Post by ryla » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:33 am

I got my 5 string a couple of days before a gig and had a nightmare playing the do (my bandmates smiled at me but i could tell they were scowling), i was hitting the B for E and the A for for D o dear, fortunately i bought my 4 string along as well and played the gig out with that (it was good to A-B them anyway - pedulla vs stingray), after a couple more wobbly gigs i was away - but in honesty it took a year to get to play it second nature and i dig it, - any other 4 to 5 stories out there?

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: Adjusting to 5 string.

Post by beagle » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:16 am

I've only ever owned 4's but the times when I've played 5's I've found the exact same thing. The subconscious is brill thing once it's programmed but it can be a real pain to reprogram! What happens when you go back to 4?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:37 am

No problem going back to 4 string, in fact i find playing 4 string more comfortable than before, since ive been regurlarly playing 5 string but i'll stick with 5 as its just where i am with my playing at the moment.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:46 pm

That's good to know :)

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:16 pm

I got a wide neck 5 because I'm clumsy enough as it is, without adding a another string to the mix. The B was no problem, it was def the D and G that were the problem...really had trouble getting right hand attack happening.

even thumb w/palm mute which is what I do most off was a problem, took ages to get a comfey.

Live the main drag was EQing , getting a constant tone as opposed to a few dead spots and 2 sweet spots.I find it quite difficult when a range of the instrument jumps out...not very good at adjusting to this.

Endurance is gradual, obviously it's a harder task to play the whole gig on a 5.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Jeesh try the step to 6 then!!!! I actually feel a hell of a lot more comfortable on a 5 or a 6, a nice wide neck is great for me, everything sits comfortably. To be honest, I've hardly played a 4 in ages.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:36 pm

The times I have played 5 strings I found them really weird, and playing B instead of E happend lots.
My main problem with them is that the B is nearly always flabby sounding. The only 5 strings with nice B's that I've played were Musicmans and a Ken Smith, although I must admit I haven't played all that many 5 stings.

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:28 am

Like Dan I prefer a 5 string - or a 6 and havent played a 4 live in ages. I have 4 strings for practicing on sometimes or my acoustic for unplugged style gigs. I have found that if I don't familiarise myself or atleast map my mind to my instrument prior then I occasionally hit the wrong string also... ...this gets worse with alcohol so I almost never consume it when playing, just doesnt agree with me :)

Four is always the standard, 5 just adds more bass and sits to support the four - it's not like the four goes on holiday or anything, the 6 is just like adding a fast lane for access to the higher register.

Just practice and play on all of them regularly and you'll come right.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Yeah, took me a while to get used to the 5-string after being on the 4-string for three or four years. Then about four years into it, I traded in the 5 for a 6. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy that transition was compared. I guess it is because your reference point is the lower strings, so as long as you know what the lowest one is, you can keep on adding higher strings and you just have to reach further. I almost never play 4 or 5-string now as the 6 is all I own and I am quite happy with it. Actually, I own a left-handed 4 string, but that's another story. I can kind of play it left-handed too....

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:48 pm

So you're obviously not having any issues with the extra width of the 6's neck then?

madmatt23
Bands / Groups: Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sevendust, Aerosmith, Live, 311, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Breaking Benjamin, Ben Harper, Chevelle, Faith No More, Incubus, John Mayer, Linkin Park, Tool and so on....

Post by madmatt23 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:36 pm

I've been playing 5's most of my time and guess once your programmed its natural...I end up using the 5th string as a resting spot for my thumb and and then miss that comfort going back to a 4 string. The weight of some 5 strings gets a bit tough after a 3-4 hour stint on the shoulder but its worth it for the versitlity and extra range you can call on.

In fact I really don't like playing 4 strings much any more as the neck width seems too thin. :shock: I used a warwick corvette FNA for years and that D shape neck with 5 strings built up good strength and endurance...now I play a stingray and the C shaped neck is so much more comfortable...makes rolling through all 5 strings a breeze.

Urmike04
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/mbillings
Bands / Groups: Nervous Existence www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Post by Urmike04 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 am

I started with a 5. From 5 to a 4 was kind of weird but it didn't really bother me. I just love playing with a 5 string!
Ampeg B2R 350w Head
Fender RT-1000 Tuner
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Ampeg B Series 4x10 Cab

5 string Lyon Washburn (Black)
5 string Davison (Red)
4 string BC Rich Warlock Platnium Series (Red flames)

Miss Piggy
Bronze Member

Post by Miss Piggy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:59 pm

It took me about a week of playing every day for a couple of hours each day to get used to it. I think the trick is - make yourself do it - like there is no other option - don't be tempted to pick up your 4 string AT ALL. Try to ignore the open E - instead think of your E as now being on the 5th fret of your B string, and try to always play your low E there. Of course when you are fully used to the 5 string, you can use the open E if that's what's easier for what you are playing.

I love my 5 string, I find it easier to play - I find I don't have to move my short little fingers too far from the one position. I love the lower notes, and when I picked up a friends 4 string the other day (after playing my 5'er for the last 2 years), it felt a bit like a toy! Although there is the advantage of not having so much weight on your shoulders!

This is how I made it work for me, you could try it, it might work for you. Otherwise I guess you're just gonna have to find your own learning style! :mrgreen:
Ok, I'll do the stupid thing first, then all you shy people follow...

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I personally started learning slap on a 5 string but only had a 4 at home which was a little weird but i think if you just run all the normal exercises, chromatics and what not, on the 5 you can just get used ot it.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:11 am

I play a 5 and two 4's live. I have people on my own forum who have talked about the same thing and its just a matter of being persistent. Eventually playing a 5 will seem like second nature so hang in there and stick with it. Enjoy that juicy fat bottom end the B string generates! :) Of course though, if your music doesn't need a 5 then why play one? :)
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs