Bass related topics
Post Reply
User avatar
Bronze Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
The Hayfields
Location: Invercargill


Post by basshead56 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering what the best way of insuring my gear is.
Does it come under general contents insurance? Should I specify each item?
Who do you guys use?
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF-800 & PF-115HE
Ampeg B-100R
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

Gold Member
Posts: 1800
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:36 pm
MySpace Page: not available
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones
Location: Chch

Re: Insurance

Post by foal30 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Next forum over is a thread I have bumped.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Gold Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 am

Re: Insurance

Post by Tim1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Just posted this response on the other thread too:
In my experience it is not covered under normal household insurance if you are a working musician i.e if you gig for pay, even occasionally. I have my gear insured under a separate business insurance cover through State - costs me about $600 a year for a 20k cover anywhere and I don't have to specify separate items. There are possibly better deals around but this one works for my peace of mind.
Many years ago I had an amp stolen at a gig (hard way to be reminded of basic lesson - load your own gear :oops: ). I thought I had it insured with the company through my household insurance, can't remember which company it was, and they disputed liability. You can understand their logic - just as a carpenter or engineer insures his tools of trade, so can a muso. It is tax deductible but the sad irony is their assumption that just because you get paid for a gig as a muso you are actually making an overall profit :mrgreen:

Post Reply