The War on Drugs
Radiohead
"Most" electronic Music
Tom Waits
+ Lots and Lots more

Beginner Bass Questions

Post by kemistry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Hello All

Just signed up for this Forum as i have been playing bass for nine months now and loving it. Some friends and I have been playing around at each others homes for a few months and i "think" we are at the point were we just need to get out there and do a gig somewhere.

Three questions

1) Is there anywhere around Auckland where we can go and just plug in and play "Live" for about 40 minutes. It can be the biggest dive ever (in fact that would probably be the preffered option :-) ) where no one knows us and if its terrible, nobosy cases .. I have a 20 Watt amp / electric has 20 watt /drums 50 watt so probably need a venue with a PA already set up there ..

2) Any band members out there that play bass have any tips ? As i said, I'm very new and would love some recommendations on playing, bass guitar set up's, etc etc

3) Bass string recommendations .. (The current one's sound a little dead, but may be just my untrained ear)

I bough a Fender Modern Player Jaguar the other day in the Rock shop and LOVE it ... (I had orginally bough a crappy one, Monterey i think, from Jb hi Fi to see if bass playing is something that i would like) The second i played the Fender, i could tell where the money goes .. Was quiet tempted by something in the squire range, in fact i though it had a marginally better sound, but went with the Fender Jag as the build looked much better and it was lighted. I wanted a bass that lasted ..

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback on the above, (Especially the venue) that would be awesome

john
Gold Member

Re: Beginner Bass Questions

Post by john » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm

More watts!!!!! :)

kemistry
Bands / Groups: Pink Floyd
REM
The War on Drugs
Radiohead
"Most" electronic Music
Tom Waits
+ Lots and Lots more

Post by kemistry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Tell me abou it John :-) Just about got this bass approved by the wife (I started high with a P-Bass and we settled on the MP Jag, good tactics) so might be a while before i get an upgrade on the amp ..

I was hooked up to 100W instore and it sounds awesome .. Currently have an Ashdown 20W but i hear Fender Rumble's are pretty sweet ?

blues.bass

Post by blues.bass » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the forum...
kemistry wrote: 1) Is there anywhere around Auckland where we can go and just plug in and play "Live" for about 40 minutes. It can be the biggest dive ever (in fact that would probably be the preffered option :-) ) where no one knows us and if its terrible, nobosy cases .. I have a 20 Watt amp / electric has 20 watt /drums 50 watt so probably need a venue with a PA already set up there ..
I would be very surprised if there are any open mic nights that would let you play for 40 minutes - 20 minutes or 3 songs seems to be about the max. What sort of music ya'll playing?
That might limit your options a bit.
A 20 watt bass amp isn't gonna cut it live. Your drummer has a 50 watt drum kit?!?
Your best bet I think would be to book somewhere like the Dogs Bollix, or the Wine Cellar invite 3 or 4 bands of the same genre and put on your own show - alternatively get networking and become pals with some other bands and they might put you on the bill for their show.

kemistry
REM
The War on Drugs
Radiohead
"Most" electronic Music
Tom Waits
+ Lots and Lots more

Post by kemistry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 am

Hey Forum

Doesnt have to be 40 mins by any means. I guess ultimately we just want to get up somewhere and play for any amount of time. 3 songs/20 minutes would be equally as good.. Good advise. The wine cellar is a good suggestion actually as it seems to host all sorts of music types (I spend a night in there listening to Mongolian Throat music on CD about three years back, a story i still tell to this day :-) ) I might give them a buzz and see what they have to say about it ..

At the moment we play covers .. Nick Cave/The Decemberists/Smashing Pumpkins/Joy Division/The Doors

Agreed about the wattage ... What kind of $$ would i need to spend to upgrade to something a bit more worthy that would hold its own in a small room/small gig environment ? Second hand stuff doesnt seem to be overly available (from what ive seen looking for a second hand bass)

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:19 am

Check out jam nights. I have been away for Aucks for nearly 12 years so I don't know the setup there now, but there used to be nights at places like the Java Jive where a band could put their name on the blackboard and do a few numbers. The amps and drums used to be supplied by the host band.

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:10 pm

If you are a new player and fussing about strings... You might find the greater issue is your touch. Good tone comes with time. Some of the best live bass I've ever heard has been played on 3+ year old ordinary nickel round wounds

kemistry
REM
The War on Drugs
Radiohead
"Most" electronic Music
Tom Waits
+ Lots and Lots more

Post by kemistry » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Yep, i think your right !!

I put some headphones on playing the other day (through my amp) and i head a lot of "noise" from my fingers touching strings etc etc so i guess this is one of the main culprits. Connecting headphones was a tip i came across on another site and seems to at least highlight the issue.

One other question if i may .. String height !!

At the first fret, the strings seem quiet close to the fret but as the strings move down the fret board, the distance from the fret increases up until the last,20th, fret !! Again, im a beginner, so not sure if this is correct ? When i look down the fret board from the bridge, its pretty obvious and i was just wondering if this is something of preference or something that needs to be tweeked .. (I have google this and couldnt really find a conclusive answer to whether they should all be the same height from first to last fret)

Thanks again everyone

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:06 am

String height at first fret should be around 0.010inch to 0.012inch when held down at third fret. E string should be around 3/32inch at the 12th fret for a medium action with around 0.015inch relief (measured by holding down the string at 1st and 12th frets), or 1/16inch for a low action with less neck relief. Low action requires a light, deft touch and is probably not for beginners.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Covers or Originals or a mix? Country OR Western or jazz? Narrow down your target crowd - even hire a hall and do something informal, I dunno but if you do want to gig you will. RSAs do jazz, country or rock's' roll evenings - book a hall and invite your mates to cover costs, Ask 95 BFM for potential gigs. One of my first gigs was playing Mollers barn in Oratia with 2 guitars a bass and vocals in one amp and a microphone taped to a broom handle - great gig too - having fun has to be the priority - good luck but get your s#@$ together as much as poss before you go public.

kemistry
REM
The War on Drugs
Radiohead
"Most" electronic Music
Tom Waits
+ Lots and Lots more

Post by kemistry » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:24 am

@ryla :
ryla wrote: 2 guitars a bass and vocals in one amp and a microphone taped to a broom handle
Youve pretty much described our session last night at a mates house :-) Glad to see other's have used the old microphone and broom combo

Great advise everyone !!