Synth bass (on keyboard)

Bass related topics
manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Synth bass (on keyboard)

Post by manofthematch » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Alright folks,
It's a cagey subject but I'm interested to know... who can, or more specifically who out there does, play bass parts on a synth or dedicated bass synth keyboard?
Occasionally in Tahuna Breaks I play a synth bass part on a Novation mininova. I know that Tim Jaray (of the Black Seeds) plays a Dave Smith Mopho.
Argh, I love playing bass guitar more, and though I played piano for 6 years previously - there's something about bass parts being meant for a bass guitar eh?

I've never really come across good synth bass effects. From what I've seen the Akai Deep Impact pedals look wicked but they go for insane prices and are hardly available.

Chur
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

cjj
Bronze Member

Re: Synth bass (on keyboard)

Post by cjj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I've used a Moog Taurus 2 in the past, wish I could afford one (or better yet a Taurus 3).

My Korg Krome has some decent sounding bass patches, but I can't really say I've used 'em much...

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Phew, good to see some other keyboarding bassists out there. I didn't know if it was too much of a crime and whether people here are purist "bass playing is meant for double and electric basses" types and not keyboard synth.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 pm

A bass part is a bass part.
JPJ from Led Zep did a fair amount of bass on keys or pedals

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 pm

I've often thought about it, I'm doing a bit of casual keyboard for study requirements so synth bass will probably be a natural transiton eventually.

If you want to see some absolutely killer synth bass there is a certain keys player known to play at the grand central bar in ponsonby every other Wednesday who can be seen filling the bass role with his left hand for the odd set...

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 am

There's a bass player here in Napier in a band called Tropical Downbeat who plays bass keys as well as bass guitar. I saw the Spyboy band fron USA about 12 years or so ago, and Darryl Johnson (ex-Neville Bros) was playing foot pedal synth bass while playing bass guitar. He was a mofo, and the synth drones were wicked.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Just finishing up a record where a few songs use a Moog Lil Phatty for bass. It's not mine and kinda bulky so was looking into smaller stuff for shows (like Novation and Arturia) but it's still too much hassle for 2-3 songs. I'm close enough with my bass into an EHX octaver and MXR envelope (plus a bit of gain).

I tried a few "bass synth" pedals (EHX, Boss and Digitech) but I could get closer to what I needed with the octaver and envelope.

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:38 am

Ohhhhh dayum, I've just been lately using Novation's new bass station. All analog, phat sounds, versatile unit, check one out if you can.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:54 am

The advent of the 5 string bass was the result of bass synths taking the session work in the 80's with the lower register.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm

i bought an aguilar octamizer recently. man that thing growls, covers a range of 'synth' sounds with the filter knob as well. still different to synth bass i guess. especially in terms of attack etc

like timi, i have always been happier with an octave pedal and envelope filter.
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com