Cheaper bass guitars

Bass related topics
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Cheaper bass guitars

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm

I was in a music shop recently just browsing at things I can’t afford to buy (as we all do no doubt). One of the guys working in the shop insisted I try this amp – it was a fender 300w 2x10 combo “Grab any bass off the rack” he said.
I grabbed a GL Tribute p style bass – had 1 split p/u and 1 jazz p/u, volume / tone
Well this was one of the nicest basses I’ve played – it was so light and easy to move around the fret board, the amp sounded ok too, but this bass just blew me away… for a cheaper Indonesian made bass (think it was under $600 from memory) it was really nice…
Of course they offered me a special 15% off ‘New Years sale’ discount, but my finances aren’t the best at the moment.

Has anyone else tried a ‘cheaper’ bass / amp and been surprised at how good it feels / sounds?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

T-Dub
Gold Member

Re: Cheaper bass guitars

Post by T-Dub » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:I was in a music shop recently just browsing at things I can’t afford to buy (as we all do no doubt). One of the guys working in the shop insisted I try this amp – it was a fender 300w 2x10 combo “Grab any bass off the rack” he said.
I grabbed a GL Tribute p style bass – had 1 split p/u and 1 jazz p/u, volume / tone
Well this was one of the nicest basses I’ve played – it was so light and easy to move around the fret board, the amp sounded ok too, but this bass just blew me away… for a cheaper Indonesian made bass (think it was under $600 from memory) it was really nice…
Of course they offered me a special 15% off ‘New Years sale’ discount, but my finances aren’t the best at the moment.

Has anyone else tried a ‘cheaper’ bass / amp and been surprised at how good it feels / sounds?
I had a similar experience with a G & L Tribute Jazz. It sounded awesome! Loud and crunchy. Played reasonably nicely too.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:53 pm

The Sterling Ray 35 I had was an absolute killer, slightly more midrange in price but honestly better than any US musicman I've ever played....at a quarter the price!

joppo

Post by joppo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 pm

The Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series are the same price range ($600-700) and are really great basses. I've got a VM fretless jazz and it is an awesome bass

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 am

cheaper basses are of a lot higher quality than say 20 years ago.
the overall standard is a lot higher

I tried an Ibanez ATK about 5 years ago and it played OK and sounded acceptable. I not heard an Ibanez I'd liked since the original Roadster with halfwounds late'80's.

heard some pretty positive stuff about the Korean made MTD gear.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

makatak

Post by makatak » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Some of the best players ive had were " cheaper " Basses, for me its all about the setup/strings/shielding etc . Some people just cant play well, no matter how " expensive " the Bass is .

brando28

Post by brando28 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I tried a friends Peavy fury T-20 from the early eighties (I think), Awesome tone and great feel all for $250 off TM, a good cheaper P style bass.