What to try now?

Bass related topics
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

What to try now?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:49 pm

As I've mentioned on here before - I've been having problems with an annoying 'buzzing' coming through the P.A. when I DI my bass at gigs
I've tried everything - Amp has been checked out by KP Electronics and given the all clear, found my lead was a bit crackly, so got a new lead - then had KP Electronics check the bass and he said it's all fine..... he said it is an earth loop problem somewhere between the bass and the PA and the only way to fix that is to lift the earth using a DI Box... so what now??

All I know is when I set up as normal and DI the bass it really hums loudly through the PA if my active pick-ups are on, not so much if I switch them off - but if I unplug my bass from the amp the buzzing stops completely, so it must be a problem somewhere between the bass and my amp??
My amp does hum / buzz a little when my bass is plugged in (active p/ups)

I've got an Ibanez Expressionist Bass / Warwick Profet 5.1 amp

I don't really want to buy a DI Box (can use Drummers old one) but want to fix this once and for all and don't know what else to try to solve the problem?

any ideas?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Dan

Re: What to try now?

Post by Dan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Dirty power can really affect active basses.....but usually you'd get more of a hiss than a buzz. Nothing wrong with buying a DI, I use one for almost all gigs.....at least I know soundguys are getting a sound I'm happy with, rather than leaving my tone solely in their hands!

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:25 am

Yo dude just came across this,it might give u some more info on the D.I box and ground noise :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXHsLf2urI

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Antz wrote:Yo dude just came across this,it might give u some more info on the D.I box and ground noise :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXHsLf2urI
thanks for that - Rock shop explained it all to me.
Plug bass into DI, run a 'link' from DI Box to my amp, then either DI to the desk from the bass amp as normal or use the balanced output on the DI box to the desk.

Our singer has taken my bass and she is going to get the guy she knows to look at it, because it is definitely a problem with my bass / pick ups...
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 am

I had a similar problem. I have Dual Coil Nordstrands with Audere EQ in a BTB1005 - supposedly humbucking, but despite all that, quite noisy.

Installing shielding and wiring the ground to the shielding in a star configuration completely fixed the problem. Very intricate to do and took a whole Saturday morning, but totally worth it.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm

well i bit the bullet 2 weeks ago and bought a DI box off Trade me.... (just a cheap chinese looking thing, got used it at last weekends gigs, put active pick ups on and no buzz!
I'm runing my bass into the DI with a link to the amp and DI'ing the amp as usual and there is no buzzing through the PA at all

I have noticed in the last 2 gigs that when I turn up the volume or pre-gain on my amp it crackles like hell and 'clips' - would this be 'scratchy pots' or problem with my bass? I had to put the 'mute' button on last week when I had to adjust the volume to avoid the loud crackling!

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:11 am

Scratchy pots. Open the chassis up and have a look at the affected pots. If they have any openings in their casings, you can spray in them with electrical contact cleaner and work the shafts back and forth to distribute the cleaner. Do NOT use CRC or WD40! The contact cleaner can comes with a little spaghetti tube to get in small places. If there are no openings in the pots, they will need to be replaced.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:31 am

martyforrer wrote: Do NOT use CRC or WD40! .
+1
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Harley wrote:
martyforrer wrote: Do NOT use CRC or WD40! .
+1
What's the deal? What will happen if I do?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:52 pm

When most people say "CRC" they mean the diesel smelling stuff which is the same as WD40. Don't spray this into your pots.

CRC actually make heaps of stuff, including contact cleaner and switch cleaning lubricant. They come with a thin nozzle attachment so you can easily spray a little bit down the shaft of the pot. Then just go from min to max on the pot a dozen times and you should be done.