Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

Bass related topics
dannowilso
Bronze Member

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

Post by dannowilso » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 am

Hi everyone,

I recently volunteered to play bass for the next local Variety Theatre Ashburton production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.
Just got the bass score and music and man it sounds like it's going to be a hoot to play, so many different genres!
In the orchestra we have drums, bass, 2 guitars, 2 synths, 1 upright piano, 2 violinists, a jazz flute, a horn, and hopefully sax, cello, and some brass but still looking!
There is also a 23 person childrens choir, a backing choir and god knows how many cast on stage.

Has anyone here played this music before and if so have you got any tips for me playing and tone wise or if you could just tell me about the experience that would be great.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

Dan

Re: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

Post by Dan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Shows are awesome fun, i have never done Joseph but have done most others. As long as you know your parts, and are prepared for all kinds of muck ups from the cast which you'll have to try and follow, you'll be fine!

Tone wise, just be nice and quiet and let front of house do the work, and don't expect to be heard very well by the audience :P

Have fun!

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 pm

I haven't done joseph, but I've done Little Shop of Horrors and an old-time British music hall. Lots of fun. Just enjoy it.

Pablo Basso
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Not active

Post by Pablo Basso » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:16 pm

You're gonna have a blast. Andrew Lloyd-Webber is a talented man.
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, 1978 HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, 1985 Jansen Crusader 220 Magnum head, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2x TL606 cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 am

Dan wrote:.......and don't expect to be heard very well by the audience :P
:lol: Yeah, we'v got a pretty good sound budget but most of it gets taken up in radio mics :roll:

Whoever played bass on the soundtrack I'm listening to has deffinately got some good chops, but between reading the bass score, listening to the soundtrack and putting my own spin on things its coming along nicely.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Im a bit jammed on this song, I've never really played much Jazz type stuff before and the score doesn't have this part in it (where it goes all Jazz/waltz) and I think it sounds awsome.
I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on this tune for me by quickly tabbing it out or telling me what scales etc it uses.

Much appreciated!

Youtube link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpJvUrSd_2k

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon May 09, 2011 4:43 pm

I've never heard that song before, but I swear right at the end they sing "Right here Sponge Bob".

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Mon May 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Jazzbass wrote:I've never heard that song before, but I swear right at the end they sing "Right here Sponge Bob".
hahahaha :lol: :lol: it sounds like "now heal Sponge Bob" !!! lmao

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon May 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Apparently, its: beg, kneel, sponge, crawl :lol: