What does the scale of a bass mean?

Bass related topics
Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

What does the scale of a bass mean?

Post by Sunjae » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 am

What does it mean by the scale of a bass guitar? Is it something to do with size?
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Re: 1 question...

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:22 am

HI Sunjae - the scale, or scale length, is the distance from the nut to the bridge. Standard scale length is 34 inches, some 5 string basses are 35 inches to help get a better sounding low B string.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

Post by Sunjae » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:41 am

ok
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 am

ryanmaiden wrote:HI Sunjae - the scale, or scale length, is the distance from the nut to the bridge. Standard scale length is 34 inches, some 5 string basses are 35 inches to help get a better sounding low B string.
theoreticaly get a better B string.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:46 pm

bassnut14 wrote:
ryanmaiden wrote:HI Sunjae - the scale, or scale length, is the distance from the nut to the bridge. Standard scale length is 34 inches, some 5 string basses are 35 inches to help get a better sounding low B string.
theoreticaly get a better B string.
Well, the extra inch just tightens that super-low B a bit, so it's not so flabby. Otherwise you need a fairly thick gauge on a normal long scale 34".

Just for the record:

Short scale = 30". Which, for the record, is still 5" longer than most guitars. Normally for smaller bassists (think the missus and kids, or some of the shorter folk).

Medium scale = 30-33". Not very common. Between the Long and Short scale basses, obviously.

Long Scale = 34". This is the standard bass scale length. Set by the Fender Precision Bass back in '51. Most basses are this length, so when the guy behind the counter asks you "long scale strings, right?" he's talking about the "Standard" 34" bass.

Extra long scale = 34"+. If you want one of these then you don't need the advice, if you don't know why someone would want one of these, stick with the 34" or 35".
A-boom boom boom boom!